1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed new LF speaker, lost automatic window up/down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by egg_salad, May 28, 2018.

1. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Apologies in advance for my inability to read/comprehend wiring diagrams.

Installed new speakers today. End result is that the LH door window works fine, except it lacks the auto up/down feature now.

I was cutting off harness tape to re-route wiring, and I'm fairly certain I must have cut through a wire. Because I'm not even clear on how the auto up/down feature is enabled, I can't tell what color wire I'm looking for that I might have sliced through.

It's certainly not the end of the world (in fact, sometimes I find that feature more of a hindrance than a help!) but I'm a bit OCD about things working as they should.

If one of you fine folks could assist, that would be swell.

Thanks!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you turned off 12v power (ie disconnected the battery) the auto fuction is lost. It can be restored by raising the window and then continuing to hold the button in raise position for about 10 seconds more. basically, the car forgot what the window position was and needs to relearn it. Holding the button that long guarantees the window is in the up position, so the car now knows where it is.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I did not disconnect the battery (it's just speakers, not the radio) but I certainly did disconnect the power window master control. Would that have the same effect?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure, but the reset procedure should still work as long as all the wiring is intact. If you're still able to operate the window manually, most likely it will relearn the position.

egg_salad likes this.
  5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just back from the garage, and your theory has proven correct. Problem solved without having to re-open the door panel! I thank you greatly!

So for posterity, if you unplug the master window control on the driver door, you have to manually reset the auto up/down feature by bringing the window up and holding the switch in the "up" position for 10 additional seconds.

I love Prius Chat!