1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed some HIDS on my '10 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by pnutty, Jul 13, 2009.

1. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having read this (long) thread a few times, I decided to take the plunge and put HID's on my new V/AT. I decided to do both the high beams and the fog lights.

I bought the lamps from three dealers (at the same time I did my wife's Tacoma dual lights and fogs). I learned some stuff that I thoguht I would share. Some of this could save you lots of money.

1. It appears that the lamps and ballasts are made by the same Asian factories regardless of the online source. I compared the three "brands" I bought (from $150 a pair to $40 a pair) and bulbs, wiring, connectors were identical. I wanted 4300K lamps for my brights and only one place ($149) had them. For the fogs and my wife's truck, I used 6000k. The best package for the money was from Amazon ($92 for the dual beams and $68 for the single beams.
    2. The people who worry about overloading circuits with the high amp ignition current and then add relays seem to be wasting their time and money. The Prius brights on the model V have a 10 amp fuse for each light. It's plenty. I've had them on the car for a while with no issues at all. The fogs share a 15 amp fuse. Again, no problems with the plug-and-play. The Tacoma needed a relay for the dual beam bulbs; this allows for the "shutter" that switches from low to high beam).
    3. Allow a LOT of extra time to mount the ballasts on the Prius. There isn't a lot of space available for the brights. The fogs were easier, but still for me (no real automotive experience), it took me a bit over an hour to do the brights and another hour to do the fogs. The Tacoma was much easier to do.
    4. The LED headlights appear to be a bit "whiter" than my 4300k HID's. Close, but not the same. 600k's (the fogs) is a lot bluer.

2. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Using HIDs on high beams is illegal unless it is for offroad use... the glare to oncoming traffic is quite intense... That is why HIDs have cutoffs on low beams and/or self levelers.

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And aftermarket HIDs for low beams are also illegal in many states for the same reasons.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ummm... HID high beams, eh? If you plan on using the high beams for flashing, you'll shorten the lifespan of your HID. There's a reason why thse with HIDs from the factory still have halogen high beams (even if the HID is bi-xenon)

5. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys

Just curious how you are liking these HIDs :)

Any complaints about blinding other drivers? In the "Truth about aftermarket lighting..." thread I saw people say you shouldn't use HID kits unless you get a whole new headlight housing. Does this apply to our gen 3s?

Hawkmoon's writeup makes this install look so easy. Very tempting!

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Comments in bold below

7. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    *reponses in boldface

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on the installation. A proper one can look fairly stock. One done by a teenager in his garage on his Civic will scream aftermarket from 500 yards away and if he was lazy, will also be blinding.

9. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, what he said....People shouldn't get the super-duper (4000K or brighter?)and blind everyone! That'll be one easy way to blow all that time and money just to have them removed by 5-O.:mad:

Stay within factory Hid light output what ever that is, to not attract attention to yourself and you should be fine.

The correct way as many have mentioned is to change the headlamp housing/fixture whith the proper optics for a hid lamp. :)

10. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know what (lumens rating?) our headlamp housing/fixture can safely support without blinding people?

I would hate to blind other people with my lights, not to mention all that bad karma it would bring!:eek:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical factory is 4300K. Some BMW ones are a little lower (i.e. a yellower).

12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think the point is a "proper" installation of an aftermarket HID bulb (an oxymoron ;)), vs. one done by a lazy teenager--or anybody else. The point is the OEM HIDs have the proper optics, self-leveling mechanisms, etc. You can duplicate that with an aftermarket bulb replacement. That's why they're illegal in many (most?) states.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By "proper" I was thinking actually bothering to check the aim of the headlights and check for stray light (e.g. the Gen 6 Camry. Those who have added HIDs noticed that there is a sliver of light that shines up and beyond the normal line of sight (probably for halogens to light up road signs). This is hazardous and those that have changed are fully aware of it. They have taken steps to block this light).

Not all have self-levelling mechanisms. It's not required here. E.g. the Acura TSX does not have auto-levelling.

Also, people have done HID swaps so they have taken actual OEM HID projectors and swapped them in place of their stock multi-reflector or halogen projector housing.

14. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered 4300 K HIDs from Mobile HID. Their customer service seems top notch so far.

15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The thing that sticks out in my mind when reading about people who install aftermarket HID bulbs is they talk about how it's plug-and-play, took under an hour, etc., so they're just swapping bulbs and connecting the ballasts. No changing headlight housing, or even mention of checking for aim.

The sharp top cut-off that OEM HIDs (and LEDs) provide--which is critical with these high output light sources, and not with halogens--can't be accomplished with a simple bulb swap. Hence, the reason why they're illegal in many states.

I've unfortunately experienced many cars with blinding aftermarket HIDS (they're typically easy to spot since they usually accompany other "upgrades" like coffee can mufflers, etc. :rolleyes:) and it's a realy safety issue for the oncoming drivers--and also when they're behind, even with self dimming mirrors.

16. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I absolutely accomplished it with a simple bulb swap...and anyone else with a 2010 Prius can do the same thing. Changing the headlight housing is NOT a necessity. Checking for aim SHOULD be done, and making aim adjustments MIGHT be necessary.

90% of my driving is at night, with my headlights on. I have yet to be flashed by an oncoming driver.

[​IMG]

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to make sure, I'm not arguing or saying you're wrong or siding with those users.

With that disclaimer out of the way, yes I understand what you're talking about. I hate those as well. Most are HIDs that are "plug n' play" into a multi-reflector headlight setup. Those are the worst. They fill up the entire multi-reflector housing with light. Factory multi-reflector HID are clear and you can see the back of the multi-reflector headlight.

However, projector headlights make it easier for the uninformed to swap bulbs for capsules because of the nature of projector headlights. They have a sharp cut off regardless of whether it's HID or halogens (factory). My smart has halogens and the cutoff is distinct. If the Prius doesn't have the same slit as the Camry's projector, it might make HID conversions a lot safer for the oncoming driver.

Again, I'm with you with regards to aftermarket HIDs (this will be my first attempt) and I absolutely hate it when I see a multi-reflector setup with HIDs. I am hoping that I don't cause the same glare to other drivers.

Also, wouldn't it be illegal in all states? I think it's illegal in all provinces here though they usually go unchecked unless it's obvious like 8000K or you light up an entire airfield with it.

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree with you. And you're probably right that they're illegal in all states (i.e. a DOT regulation), although I'm not certain, which is why I said many.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's nice to have a discussion without having it turn into a food fight :D. Thanks!

20. Airmax

Airmax New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I absolutely accomplished it with a simple bulb swap...and anyone else with a 2010 Prius can do the same thing. Changing the headlight housing is NOT a necessity. Checking for aim SHOULD be done, and making aim adjustments MIGHT be necessary.

90% of my driving is at night, with my headlights on. I have yet to be flashed by an oncoming driver.

[/quote]

How are the HIDs working out for you? I have some leftover bulbs from my BMW and was thinking about doing the same thing and not bothering with purchasing and installing the ballasts. Let me know. I just picked up my car last night and I'm dying to get some HIDs on my vehicle! Thanks!