1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing 86120-47240 cd-changer into 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MRK0017, Nov 14, 2021.

1. MRK0017

MRK0017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have recently obtained a Toyota Prius 2004 model, with the base CD player, which doesn't even work properly and it takes several tries before it actually loads the CD.

I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the cd player with a cd-changer from the 2006+ model, code for the part is 86120-47240. This part can be found for relatively cheap on amazon, and it has the 6 cd changer + mp3\wma.

Would it work in my 2004 base model Prius?
    By the way, I'm not interested in aftermarket radios or expensive replacement, also I don't care about bluetooth.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. MRK0017

MRK0017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I emailed a couple of ebay sellers and they claim the unit is not compatible. I wonder what's the truth... Anyway, in the meantime i bought a cheapo bluetooth adapter with good reviews on Amazon. If it works I guess i won't need the CD player anymore.

4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I long ago quit using CDs and with the firefly Bluetooth adapter from Amazon for $36, I now just use my unlimited cellphone data and stored media instead. Even better to use audacity or radio.com than Sirius XM for real-time radio anywhere in the USA.

5. MRK0017

MRK0017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, like I said I ended up buying the Bluetooth Module. I bought it from Amazon Italy, the item is called Bluemusic Audio Interface. Costed 35€. Took me 2 hours to install (but then again I barely ever changed anything on a car). I followed a video from "GTA Car Kits" on Youtube. I was super scared during the whole thing but it wasn't even that hard. I even found 5€ behind the radio, how did they even get there? Oh well, not bad considering car shops wanted 150 to 200€ for this installation.

Sound quality was surprisingly good, I expected crappy audio quality and wanted to use it only to stream podcasts, but it sounds rather good, not a big difference from CD at all. Anyway, I already had an old handsfree installed, I feared it might have the 6+6 connector in use by this hadnsfree, but it was connected to something else I guess because the 6+6 connector wasn't in use. And it also works at the same time as the bluetooth audio interface, when a call comes in the audio cuts out like on the original CD player. I have no idea how this works, but that's great. Oh, and I even found 5€ in the process.

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe Toyota puts 5€ in every thousandth car?
    Easter egg.

MRK0017 likes this.