1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing a 3rd party USB socket

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mveras1972, Jun 12, 2019.

1. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the Prime Advanced, I was hoping to install a USB socket right across the wireless charger, but upon examination, while it appears to be a good area to install it, there is no room behind that black plastic where the seat heater switches are located. Has anyone attempted this? If so, what would be a good location to install the socket? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077F4ZGTZ

For those who would like to know why I am interested in this, the included USB port in the Prime Adv. is useless for charging. In fact, even the wireless charger is much faster. Also, I know I can just plug a cheap charger on the cigarette lighter port, but given where I want to install my iPhone, the cord is just too far from that port. I rather use Waze than the built-in GPS system which has caused me to be late to work a couple of times already. Waze routes around traffic much better so I rather use my phone.

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You are proposing to install this socket perhaps 24" from the existing USB port, which is right next to the existing 12VDC power plug. So, at best you will be saving this distance. Would it not be easier to get a 2 meter USB cable and use the existing power port with USB adapter there? Or even a USB extension cable? This would avoid having to modify the car, find power, etc. You could even route the cable alongside the center console to the rear plug. Would that work for you?

When I travel, I have a GoPro suction mounted to the windshield, with a few USB cables running over the passenger visor, to the B pillar and to the rear power plug where I have a 12VDC USB adapter. I also run my Android table on that adapter to run Hybrid Assistant. I plug my two phones into the front 12VDC socket with adapter there.

2019-05-04 15.18.41.jpg

3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In my other car I use a 5 port USB charger attached with Velcro. The one I have seems to be discontinued, but here's the Amazon link: Amazon. com/dp/B00OHE8AOI

I have mine velcroed inside the center console, but you could attach it somewhere closer to the dash. Passengers always appreciate extra USB ports on road trips.

jb in NE likes this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have two of these and they've worked out nicely @ $10 each. One on the back outlet, one on the front. The only device I've been able to get to charge on the built-in USB on the car is an old iPod.

Anker 24W Dual USB Car Charger, PowerDrive 2

upload_2019-6-12_19-31-3.jpeg

5. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Curious about your GoPro setup. What model? Can you set it up so that the camera starts recording when you start the car, or do you manually start the camera each time?

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is a Go Pro Hero 5 Black, mounted on a Go Pro suction cup mount. I leave the mount on the windshield all the time. The camera has no interface with the car, so it has to be started manually.

I run it in various modes. For highway driving where I don't want to retain the footage, it's in 5 minute loop video. This will allow me to retain records of any accidents, etc, but if there are none it just records over the earlier minutes. In this mode, I just leave it running the whole drive, including stops, etc.

I sometimes put it in time lapse photo and have it take a photo every minute, this is a nice way to get a record of a drive.

It also has voice controls, which are nice. "Go Pro, take a photo," "Go Pro, start recording." It can also be controlled from an app on a phone or tablet, and you can see what the camera sees and change modes, start/stop, etc.

I also like the fact that when I get to my destination, I can put this on a short stick and use it as a camera both for stills and videos, and the quality is quite good.

#6 jb in NE, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    ice9 likes this.
  7. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would like to know if a 12v/5v USB charger port can be installed in the dash as well. Right now I have wireless charger (for my android) mounted on the left center vent and a dash-cam on the windshield - all temporarily connected via 24" and 72" USB cables (with USB adapters) to the center console 12vdc source. It's not very clear in the photo, but the center console and dashboard tend to become cluttered with USB cables as you add more components. A few 12v USB sources in the dashboard and/or overhead console would go a long way towards dressing the USB cables and keeping things looking neat. It would also free up the console power source for use by passengers.

What you are trying to do has already been done in older models, but I haven't found anyone here that has tried 3rd party installations in gen 3 and 4 Prius's yet. I could be wrong, but I suspect that it's because people are afraid to run wires near airbag locations.

I would like to know if there are any auto accessory shops who can do this type of installation in the newer models. In the meantime I suppose we'll just have to drape USB cables around the interior like cloths-lines.

IMG_6226.JPG

#7 ice9, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    jb in NE likes this.
  8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You can save more energy with the Prius by drying clothes while commuting...

ice9 likes this.
  9. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ha! Good one.

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black that I bought for the 2017 Eclipse and then put into storage and forgot about until I saw your photo. Now I am thinking about using it to supplement my dash-cam for security purposes (possible future Uber driving). It would be nice if it could be started electronically, but not necessary. I don't believe the Hero 4 has voice command.

#9 ice9, Jun 13, 2019
  10. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You are far less paranoid than my wife and I. We're fearful that leaving so much as a hint of suction cup residue on the windshield would encourage a smash and grab (and we live in the 'burbs). I have toyed with the idea of wiring our Papago dash cam to the existing mirror pod circuitry... too busy with other projects/diversions though.

papago.jpg papago.jpg

#10 pghyndman, Jun 13, 2019
  11. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I haven't had that problem. When I travel and stay overnight in a hotel, all electronics come out of the car and into the hotel, and cables and suction mount stay in the car. Have been doing it this way on trips for years and never a smash in.

At home my car is garaged at night, bit no smashes on the one in the driveway either.

12. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like the idea of “velcroing” a multiport USB charger to the center console. The wire can be easily hidden inside and under the cup holders until they get to the back 12V cigarette lighter port.

Now, I just installed my new dash cam. Routed the USB cable under the roof edge, down the pillar and into the OBD2 connector where I supply the power.

In doing this, I discovered a nice location where a USB socket can be installed which is to the right of the gas cover release button. Plenty of free space behind that for socket installation.

However, now that someone mentioned attaching a multiport USB charger with Velcro, I may go with that idea instead.

See dash cam under rear view mirror. Cable is barely visible.
    169002_IMG_1777.jpg

#12 mveras1972, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    jb in NE likes this.
  13. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh nooo! sir. :LOL::LOL: I would not do something so hideous! If I do a setup like that, the next one of my nephews will get in the back seat and unplug something or kick the cigarette lighter charger. Everything needs to be tucked in nicely and out of the way for them to survive.

#13 mveras1972, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    jb in NE likes this.
  14. sdhzlgl

sdhzlgl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  15. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is cool but this connects to the cigarette lighter port. I am looking for something that can be hardwired to a 12V line. Seems that no one makes it. If anyone comes across something like this, please message me.