1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing a Auto dim and homelink mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sbddude, Nov 21, 2012.

1. sbddude

sbddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am trying to install an auto dim mirror that I purchased from eBay. The listing said it was OEM from a 2010 -2012 Prius.

It arrive with a harness connector on it which has 5 wires. The wires are brown, white green black yellow. I do not know which wires are which and therefore don't know how to wire it up.

Installation instructions I have found elsewhere on the forum suggest 3 wires only. This mirror does not have any compass or rear view LCD screen from what I can tell.

Any advice?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let me double chk my harness.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my 2012, the wires are internal......meaning there is no plug on the back of the mirror

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's what I think it should be.

The ten pin socket only uses 3 wires. Looking at the connector from where the wires enter, bottom row [opposite the release tab]
    Left = Yellow = HomeLink power = +12V constant (always hot)
    Space
    Center = Black = Ground
    Space
    Right = White = Mirror power/compass = switched +12V

If this does not match what you see, it is my best guess. I am nearly 100% certain of the color to function correlations (ie: Yellow = 12V constant, Blk = Gnd and White = switched 12V). This is almost always true of any electronics in an auto.

The green wire should be for "reverse feed" which doesn't need to be hooked up. It is used to turn off auto dimming while in reverse. I really don't know what brown is for but, I'm virtually 100% confident that this setup will get you up and running.

5. sbddude

sbddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow that's REALLY helpful info. Thank you!!!

6. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    does anyone know if a mod III 2012 has the harnes installed already for "plug and play" or are all of us wirring these in the gen III? I miss mine from the Gen II and would love to add it to this one.
    I've seen them on eBay and Amazon for about $160 and have been so tempted.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chances are its not going to be pre-wired but that shouldn't stop u from installing 1. I did it on my gen2

8. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The wiring will not be there. No plug and play but this is such an easy thing to do, you should not let that stop you. This is a mod I do to every vehicle I get. I don't pay for the option at the dealer or consider it when I buy a used car. It is so easy to do and these mirrors are readily available at most scrapyards.

striker308 likes this.
  9. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never thought of a scrap yard.............duh

see what happens when you don't drive one of the big three for a while, you forget about scrap yards as a parts source.

Mark Knight likes this.
  10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And... you can use virtually any mirror made by GenTec. I have found that Toyota, Nissan, Subaru and Hyundai all use the same type of mirror mount. I'm sure others use the same but, I just haven't figured it out. Also you don't have to get a mirror specifically for a Prius. You can get the Camry, Avalon, Tacoma mirror (etc). Just loosen the mount for your mirror b4 u go so you can take it w/ you to the yard.

Or... if you don't want to hassle w/ a yard, Ebay has several available for between $50 and $250. Just make sure you 1) verify the mount and 2) make sure you get the pigtail (wiring with the mirror).

striker308 likes this.