1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing a Glass Breakage Sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pcjr, Mar 30, 2006.

1. pendetim

pendetim Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 19 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]258023[/snapback]</div>
    Danny,
    The install does not appear that complicated. The show stopper is where does one get the diagnostics tool with the program card? Will a service dept enable the system for a reasonable fee? Or do we have to pay for the upgraded alarm system to bet it enabled?

I guess another question is in order: I have the SKS on my package 7 2006 Prius. How is this alarm system with the GBS any different than the security system already enabled on the car? Or is it the same system with just an added GBS?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked my dealer if they would enable the GBS if I installed it myself and they said it would cost about $30-$40. Its very simple and should only take a few minutes, 20 minutes tops. I hope my dealer will still do it for that price when I take it in. Your dealer might be different.

The function of the alarm is the same except when someone breaks the glass. When someone breaks your glass your Prius will scream for help. :D Well it will actually use the same noise as the alarm but you get the idea.

Just ordered mine and cant wait to get it. :D

3. brucem5755

brucem5755 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 19 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]258023[/snapback]</div>

Can someone either post the Glass Breakage Detector installation instructions again or send me a PM with them attached? I only get a file not found error when I try to open this document.

Thanks, Bruce

4. cbs4

cbs4 Member

5. cbs4

cbs4 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 5 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]250604[/snapback]</div>
    1. The link in this quote above doesn't work (it says "sorry, but an error has occurred")

2. How does one determine whether or not the factory alarm in their Prius is activated or not?

(2006 NW pkg 8 invoice states "Anti-Theft System")

6. cbs4

cbs4 Member

I'm really struggling trying to figure out what I need to utilize and enable all the available features and enhancements of the Toyota factory security system, without needlessly buying redundant parts that are already in the vehicle.

Here is the Toyota part number to this Glass Breakage Sensor (thanks to theForce):

08586-47841

However, my 2006 Prius brochure, as well as various
    posts around the net, mention the Toyota Vehicle Intrusion (VIP)
    RS3200 security upgrade

Is the VIP RS3200 system a security upgrade for only
    for those Prius's from Pkg.#1 thru Pkg.#4 ? (ie. GY,
    HE, HF, & HG)?

Along the same vein, is the VIP RS3200 security system
    (or equivalent) already included in Prius's from
    Pkg.#5 thru Pkg.#8 ?(ie. HK, NL, & NW)?

I ask this because I would hate to order just the GBS, only
    to find out that I should of really ordered the VIP RS3200 in
    order to obtain the entire set of security features
    available on the 2006 Prius.

On the other hand, I'd hate to order the VIP RS3200, only to find out that I already had that equipment built into the car.

Danny's link (that is broken) implies that certain Prius
    models already have the security hardware installed at
    the factory, and only need a quick dealership scan
    tool session in order to enable the security features
    already built into the car.

I do know that once I install the GBS, a dealership
    scan tool will be required to enable the GBS feature,
    but that is a separate issue from the rest of the
    security system that Danny is talking about in his post, from what I can surmise without actually being able to read that link yet.

So I'm confused about what security I already have,
    what is necessary to order, and what the dealership
    must enable. Also I can't tell if the VIP RS3200 is
    redundant with the security that is already built into
    Pkg. #8 NW or not.

Can someone please clarify what's what in these regards?

Thanks!

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a package 8 which means you have the VIP installed and working. All you need is the GBS and have it activated by your dealer.

All prius have the VIP installed. Packages 1 through 4??? just dont have it activated by default but can be activated later. Packages 5 through 8 have VIP installed and working by default. GBS is an add on for the VIP of any prius but you must have VIP activated before the GBS.

LMNOP? :blink:

8. cbs4

cbs4 Member

LMNOP???

I don't know what "LMNOP" means, but once again, thanks to theForce being with us...

(music)

"now I know my ABC's"
    "when it comes to security!"

I can now place my order for the GBS alone in confidence!

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 1 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]342274[/snapback]</div>
    Does not mean anything. Just too many acronyms and I had to add one more that meant nothing. :p

10. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Nov 1 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]342279[/snapback]</div>
    Good one.

I know the GBS will help, but do you have any ideas for adding hood, head lights, and shaking sensors too?