1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing a Safe behind driver seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Peter Vawter, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Peter Vawter

Peter Vawter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok modders and Prius Techs

I am looking at mounting a safe behind my drivers seat.

It fits perfectly in that area and has 2 holes to place screws through, which are pointing towards the floorboard.

I am not looking at securing it with huge bolts or anything just a couple of metal screws.

Does anyone know what is under the floorboard on that side of the car. (I know the 220 wires run somewhere over there)

Pictures or diagrams would be great if anyone has them

Thanks for your input and insight.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Bad, BAD idea. REALLY bad.

Assuming that it is not some tiny little sheet metal thing (think cash box),
    any real safe anywhere in the back seat or hatch is a death sentence just waiting to take you out.
    Even an unbelted human being in the back seat is a hazard to the driver in a front end crash.

If you MUST do this, a small safe bolted solidly to the FRAME might be mostly safe.
    Bolted to the floor of the front seat passenger's seat would be better.

#2 sam spade 2, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  3. Peter Vawter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sam

Thanks for weighing in on the safety side of things.

the safe I am using is https://www.cochaser.com/blog/sentry-residentialhotel-safe-with-electronic-lock/
    it weighs about 26 lbs and fits Snugly (little to no wobbling) behind the seat when it is in a full back position.

I am using it to secure my laptop and other valuables while I am camping And or sailing at lakes.
    I am looking at a way to make it a little less easy to simply remove from the car, rip it apart at their leisure.

Again thanks for the concern and time to write.

If you have any input on what is beneath the floor board behind the drivers seat I would love to hear about it as well.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK......so why are you NOT thinking about putting it in the trunk or hatch......where it might be easier to actually bolt it to the frame ......and even less obvious to potential thieves ???

ydpplqbd likes this.
  5. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How about the rear storage area beneath the visible floor. I am working on using two solenoids to lock this area down.

This is the same spot most Gen2 gun owners use. Sometimes reinventing the wheel is not fruitful.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fascinating project.
    If what the OP wants, is to mount a safe behind the drivers seat, I'm not going to waste a lot of time trying to convince him other locations would be easier, maybe even safer. -He has his vision.

I don't know exactly what might be in the area the OP is considering. I think he's asking for pictures or diagrams, or just somebody with the knowledge.

If you can't get that information here? I would maybe check with a body shop and explain your potential project. Usually estimators have software that show break away diagrams of the whole area. If you're lucky maybe a technician that has worked directly in that area.

Safety would be a concern of mine. Obviously in a impact/wreck scenario a 26 lb hotel safe flying around would be dangerous. So trying to minimize the threat of that happening would be a priority to me in such a project. As such I guess stepping back and maybe considering other locations, maybe even totally different approaches to securing your laptop and other valuables might be wise.

Whatever you decide about location, and however you execute the project I'd be interested in how the project turns out.

7. Peter Vawter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Fascinating project.
    If what the OP wants, is to mount a safe behind the drivers seat, I'm not going to waste a lot of time trying to convince him other locations would be easier, maybe even safer. -He has his vision."

Thanks I do have a vision and for all intents and purposes that is about the only place I can put it.

I have converted my car into a micro Camper and that is the space left to me that fits into what is already done.

Throughout this process of not getting answers I had to think outside the box about other securing options and I think I have come up with some options using cabling. (which will avoid making holes in my floor and keep with my main goal of NO DAMAGING MODIFICATIONS TO THE CAR. which up to this point I have been able to achieve through the conversion process.)

If it works out I may post my resolutions here