1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

installing an aftermarket stereo without replacing the touch screen unti

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by iamthegoddamnbatman, May 22, 2012.

1. iamthegoddamnbatman

iamthegoddamnbatman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have a Prius C trim 4 on tis way to sunny souther california. I would like to upgrade the sound system while leaving the touch screen navigation head unit in tact. I am left with these questions:
    --can i wire ONLY the sound from the original head unit to an aftermarket head unit to the speakers/sub/amp ect...?
    --can i do this without it affecting the built-in mic for phone calls?
    --is there a way to do this so that if i decide to sell the car way down the road, i can replace everything and wire everything back to its original state?

as far as the aftermarket head unit, i am thinking about trying to put it under the A/C controls or in that compartment above the glove box.

:rockon: Any light shed on this is appreciated

2. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My husband is installing a 5 channel amp, new speakers all around and a sub but leaving the stock head unit.

He's using an AudioControl LC2i to take the high level outputs from the rear speakers and that will create Pre-outs for the new Amp.

You can see how he added the same to his 2013 LEAF by clicking on the 1000 Watt stereo picture located at Welcome to Sal's LEAF dot com

Mine will be 75Watts by 4 and 300Watts to the sub.

It's going to ROCK!

3. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Serious question, why would you want two head units? I've had an amp, sub and bass knob (to override the touch screen for my bass control) installed and it made a world of difference. I'm using the stock head unit and speakers as well, no issues after a year. I would recommend you visit a legit audio dealer (not a best buy or fry's) and get some input on what is possible for your needs so you can have some ideas on the best solution.