1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing an oil catch can on a gen2 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Frijjj, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    from the good ol days of carburetors on up, a vacuum leak is one of the first things to look for if it won't idle right and has no power.

dpower and Frijjj like this.
  2. Babingus_Wobbington

Babingus_Wobbington New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

2009 Prius with 175xxx miles. Consuming a quart of oil per 1200 miles approximately. Going to install oil catch can to see if it helps/for fun. Can people please confirm my understanding or correct me if I have something wrong?

- the pcv valve connects to intake manifold near the throttle body by a single hose
    - oil catch can should be installed in line between the pcv valve and the intake manifold - intake from pcv out to the manifold

My plan is to connect 3/8 transmission line hosing material to pcv valve, then connect to oil catch can, then connect to the manifold from the can using the existing hose. Does this sound like a suitable procedure? If not I welcome advice. Thanks!

3. Pioneerscot

Pioneerscot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and interesting location to be from

4. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Old thread but not ancient. I’ve got a new catch can install planned along with other mods on a new to me 09 I recently acquired.

Pioneerscot likes this.
  5. Pioneerscot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven’t done this on a new to me 08 yet, but with 224k on the clock im gonna, we use em on other engines in the industry for issues with residue build up in plenums.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is there evidence of a need for an oil catch can on gen 2? I believe the PCV vent comes solely from the valve cover? Do you see oil accumulations?

FYI: 3rd gen has the PCV in the side of the block, and the bottom of the intake manifold does double duty as a sump, lol; without an oil catch can there's always a pool of goop at the bottom. And that's the stuff that didn't blow right through...

7. Pioneerscot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be honest, with all the other things ( traction battery, front bumper cover straightening, rear hatch rubber latch cover, and the best, taking the dash apart for capacitor updates ) I haven’t got that far lol. Although this thing runs great, I’m just so used to all these higher mileage new cars getting extreme oil build up in the plenums that my guess was it wold be present here on this new to me 08 wit 220k + miles. I got the car so cheap, and I’m pretty mechanical that it sounded like a fun project, always wondered how these things were staying on the road so long. Now to find the center vent cover/trim that shattered like crystal on removal.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I remember from second gen PCV, if you’re removing the valve, don’t use an open ended wrench to break it loose. Better to use a closed (box) wrench, or a socket on a ratchet wrench.

This necessitates pulling off the hose first but is much safer; open-end wrench is slim at the tips, then thickens up. If you’re standing at front of engine bay, put an open end wrench on the valve and start pushing down, there’s a danger when the valve breaks loose, that you’ll drive the thicker shoulder of the wrench through the (fragile casting) valve cover.

xliderider and Pioneerscot like this.
  9. Pioneerscot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, that would not be a desired outcome to say the least. Thank you Mendel for that tidbit of info.

dpower and Mendel Leisk like this.