1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Aux on 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Adam Patterson, May 11, 2022.

1. Adam Patterson

Adam Patterson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have a 2007 Prius radio with no aux audio input or cassette player. It only has a CD player. I purchased an adapter from GTA Car Kits that allows me to plug in a 3.5 mm aux cable into that adapter and then another cable runs from that adapter to the CD changer input on my radio.

Unfortunately, I have been disappointed with this product as it clips/overmodulates the audio. I have to turn down the audio going to the adapter from my phone to stop the overmodulation and then even with my car speakers at max volume it is too quiet.

I an looking for an alternative to get audio from my phone to my Prius at the lowest possible cost. I see on eBay that there is a cheap cable with a 3.5 mm connection on one end and CD changer connection on the other end (ebay/itm/202660305006). Will this work? Or is a dedicated adapter box like the one from GTA Car Kits necessary?

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are a few options. Some easier than others. Some work better than others. One of the easiest is to get an FM modulator that plugs into the cigarette lighter with a 3.5mm socket. Have you tried that?

3. Adam Patterson

Adam Patterson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Another, thanks for the reply. I did try an FM transmitter and found that the audio quality was lacking. I suppose I am looking for CD-level quality audio.

I am willing to do some work and pay up to $45 or so, but I don't have much soldering/wiring experience. I am hoping this 3.5 to CD changer cable will work, but I am not sure.

4. JahT

JahT Member

So I tried to go the "cheap" route and get a bluetooth device to plug into my AUX in, long story short once I solved the engine noise problem on the speakers, the microphone was doing it too. I wish I had just got one of the Bluetooth options for about $50-$70 like this:

[​IMG]

It could be that the 3.5mm jack causes the audio issue, and maybe a bluetooth link wouldn't be so low.

Some have used these to adjust the signal:

Scosche SLC-4 / FAI-3A 4-Channel Adjustable Line Output Converter Speaker Level | eBay

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the issue you're having is ground loop noise, an inexpensive ground loop isolator will get rid of that.

Another likes this.
  6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yep,
    Ground loop isolator | PriusChat

JahT likes this.
  7. JahT

JahT Member

For me the ground loop isolator did a great job of eliminating the noise, but only for the output to the speakers, my microphone still sounded bad to the other party on the call. And that was kind of my point that rather than doping what I did and needing to chase down noise problems with cheap solutions, it might be better to get the one that hangs off the Stereo CD changer port that doesn't rely on external 12V connection.

So far I have this:
    3.5mm Car AUX Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Music Receiver Adapter USB Charger 655887889011 | eBay

This noise isolator:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-geAsbb9V9Ui/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html

So I figured I need a power filter/isolator on the 12V cigarette lighter outlet. I hope that fixes it, but I'll end up spending about as much as the one that plugs into the back of the stereo and gives you steering wheel controls over Bluetooth. So I don't recommend my route that's all.

dolj likes this.