1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Back Up/Reverse Sensors (not camera)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by zugzugg, Jul 29, 2008.

1. zugzugg

zugzugg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi Guys,

I'm getting a basic pkg 09, so no back up camera.

My dealer is offering back up sensors (2 dots on the bumper that beep) for $500 installed. I know that I can pick these up for $50 or more and I'm thinking of doing this myself.

Anyone have any tips/experiences installing after market back up sensors on a Prius?

Thanks

2. zugzugg

zugzugg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    bump for help!

3. Weirdo23

Weirdo23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. jrmason

jrmason New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I install these things. The systems aren't too expensive but the labor is pricy. I charge the dealerships $350 to supply and install. Since all cars are different I usually end up taking off the bumper cover to see what I'm drilling into. After that running the wires and hooking up the two to make it work is pretty straight forward. I use a system from Crimestopper. There are other sytems out there the same or similar but this one gives you a display on the dash that tells you how close you are to each sensor (there are 4) and also a digital read out of distance. So far all of them have worked out well.

The other option is to use the sensor systems within the license plate frame. They don't work as well since the plate is at an upward angle and they are not close enough to the ground IMHO. They are less expensive and less time consuming to install.

On of my next projects on the Prius is to install one of these systems. However, it will probably be a spring project since winter time is one of my busiest times.

Jon

5. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Autopark 2000

I have just installed a license plate backup warning (Autopark 2000) on my '09. The bracket is angled so that the device does not point upward. Also it is best to mount it in the LOWER holes in the license. It works great. The unit also has an adjustment for sensitivity. It wasn't an extremely fast project however 'cause I had to remove the plastic covers on the inside of the back lid to run the wires for the power and speaker. Normal (non-hatchback) cars are real easy) Kind of a pain to do. It took me a couple of hours. This is the third car I have installed these on and I've never had any problems with any of them. The oldest install is over three years. Bought them on eBay for about $20-$25 shipped. If you have any questions or need a pix, just let me know.
    Regards.....