1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing factory navigation system in non-nav System 2011 IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JSJB, Apr 9, 2011.

1. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As well as Rosen, there is FlyAudio who also make OEM look head units for Prius gen3. Don't be misled by the website picture of a gen2. The unit is for a gen3 and there are reviews on Prius Chat (search for flyaudio).

FLYAUDIO CORPORATION--

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    MP3/CD disks are done - a simple USB 'disk' supports more than most can comprehend....

All the Chinese stuff i've looked at (or owned) supports most any nav available (Navigon, TomTom, iGo, Garmin etc).

That said, the Chinese stuff has its negatives (as does the US brand).

If I was on a budget, i'd get a used Pioneer (older models are cracked and have many new features due to that - avic411.com). For new, I hate the Pioneer for BT calls (not audio), but it's the best GUI etc IMHO.... I had my 120BT and accessories for sale (sold), to buy the new Sony - but in the end, after looking at the Sony, I decided that would be stoopid. The Sony has TomTom, and better BT calls - but the GUI on the Pioneer is pleasant and easy to use....

I would not trade my system for factory nav - but that's a personal preference. It's not hard to do (buy a used nav, get the JBL amp (readily available used - since it goes in many many Toy products) - then get the wiring... I'd guess a thrifty individual could get the parts for $1,200... Install on anything HU related is easy, and well documented here....

1 person likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JSJB,

You asked for options and opinions, and you will get them here. I'm sure most of us are happy you decided against your original idea, but with respect that it is your choice.

In your desire to make changes to your system you stated 3 things. You wanted integrated Nav, a factory look, and did not like the single line display of the current HU. You vehicle is the Model IV. You already have the upgraded JBL system with an amp, slightly better speakers, plus two more. Basically the same setup that comes with factory Nav, without the Nav.

Although you never mentioned it, do "YOU" like how the current system sounds? Some do, some don't. Have you determined a realistic budget?

If money is an issue, and you like the current sound, consider compromising and just mounting a hand held nav unit. Going with a HU swap only, your looking at $1200-$1500 and slightly better sound, but you may achieve most of your goals. If you want to go big, well my "parts alone" were close to $3900, but the quality of sound and system options are superior. You can easily spend more, but there is a point where the returns become minimal.

Tell us you how much you are going to spend, and maybe as a group ;), we can better help you decide.

4. JSJB

JSJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Frodoz, once again I am impressed by your thoughtful and informative response. Seems you know more about my car then I do. :)

My wife and I will be taking the Prius on a road trip in a few days. 20 hours together in the car should give us both a better idea exactly what we want / are willing to spend to get it. Right now I am thinking not more than $1,500. I'll post again early next week with our thoughts though, and with any luck the group will oblige me and give us some opinions.

You've all been great. I just hope I can contribute back to the forum once I've had more Prius time :).

5. 2011priusMIke

2011priusMIke Usually tinkering w/something.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BTW if you chose to add a backup camera, your looking for a '09, '10 Camry rearview camera.

It fits the little space for the camera above the license plate on the cars rear.

Its a nice add.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good catch on the camera.

If you consider HU replacement "only", make sure it is "proven to work" with the JBL Amp and stock speaker system.

This is an unavoidable issue that must be addressed. Otherwise you end up returning the Unit (good luck), or replacing everything.

Note that most (not all) HU swaps done here were to Model II's without the JBL system for this reason.