1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Front Speakers (Polk Components)

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by dthor68, Feb 2, 2016.

1. dthor68

dthor68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I moved on to the front speakers today. After lining the door skin with NVX sound deadener I found a suitable spot to install the crossover. I unplugged the woofer and tweeter and removed them. The tweeter is held in with two screws, the woofer is held in with three rivets that need to be drilled out. I purchased my speakers through Crutchfield and got a few things to help install them, a wiring harness and some speaker mounting adapters. I plugged the new harness in and screwed it down on the crossover inputs, I then mounted and hooked up the tweeter and woofer. I turned the car on and it did not work. It only took me a few seconds to notice what was wrong. The main wire runs into the oem tweeter first and then down to the oem woofer. So, that means the new wire harness from Crutchfield was not to usefull. I had to cut the 4 wire harness to the tweeter and ohm the 4 wires out. I first had to find which two wires go to woofer. Then find which were positive and which were negative. After doing this I was able to match the wires and tie the two pairs together.

I would like to know if there is an easier way to do this with the existing wire? If I had it my way, I would have simply pulled a new wire in. However, there is no easy way to pull a wire into a Prius C's door. As mentioned yesterday the through the door grommet is a harness connector. For those of you wanting to upgrade your front speakers, well it is not an easy task. I have installed 12 systems in my life and have never had any problems until I had to deal with my daughters Pruis C One. At least I dont have to go through the firewall to hook up the amp!

2. Shoemakerpom2016

Shoemakerpom2016 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ok need to ask a stupid question....What exact size are the speakers you ordered so I can start looking to do mine as well.

3. dthor68

dthor68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Shoemakerpom2016, you will need the Metra 82-8148 speaker mounting brackets. Those brackets are good for 5 1/4", 6 1/2" and 6 3/4". I am personally using a 6.5" speaker. If you have the Prius C one there is a molex connector that is very difficult to get a wire through to the back door speakers. If you have a 2,3 or 4 you will have a speaker wire already back there, which is a good thing. It does not look like there is a molex connector on the front, I could be wrong. It would be wise to pull a new wire in the front, so you wont go through what I went through.