1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing heated seats. How to power, wiring question?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kschramm, Feb 14, 2015.

1. kschramm

kschramm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am trying to install seat heaters (Install Bay IBHS1) The only thing I am confused about is the most important. The RED power wire. Where do I tap in? On the interior fuse box there is a an existing fuse for seat heaters. I purchased this Bussmann ATM Fuse Tap - 10 Amps. But it was too large and did not fit. Is there a different size fuse tap? Where do I get it? THANKS
    Trying

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

As I don't have a Gen 3 I can't directly help, but Toyota's wiring diagrams are really complete. If you look it up on techinfo.toyota.com you'll be able to see the existing seat-heater fuse you mention and where the existing wire goes, what color it is, etc. (Unless they use a different wire harness in the non-heated cars where that wire is missing, but then you'll still see what terminal on the fusebox connector that is, which probably will mean you can buy a matching terminal, crimp it onto your wire, add it to the existing connector and use the stock fuse.)

While you're on techinfo, be sure to check in the service manual for any special procedures when you've had the seat or the seat upholstery removed. In later model cars the passenger seat occupancy sensor is a lot more than a switch saying there's weight in the seat or not. It actually tells the airbag computer whether the passenger is adult or child, male or female, and sitting back in the seat or leaning forward, using a combination of total weight, weight distribution, and distance between pressure points. I'm not sure whether they were that sophisticated yet in 2011, but if they were you should find a whole calibration procedure in the manual for after doing any work on the seat. That might also mean if you're using a generic heater membrane that isn't from the Toyota parts dept., it might be hard to get the occupancy sensor calibrated right.

Hope this helps,
    -Chap

3. kschramm

kschramm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the reply. really appreciate it. fortunately I will not be removing the fabric but simply installing Clazzio leather seat covers over existing fabric. With regards to the wiring; are you saying I should tap into the seated heat wire (provided there is one) as opposed to using a "add a fuse" or tap a fuse". I was able to find official toyota instructions for installing seat heaters and it appears they run a wire directly to the wire harness that corresponds to seat heaters. If I do that I will need to order a pin that fits into that harness.