1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing new Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Joaquim Silva, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Joaquim Silva

Joaquim Silva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the Optima Yellow Top battery from pep boys for $130, it was 155 with tax and $15 core return and free shipping. I only have a trickle charger at home, how long do I need to charge it on the trickle charger before putting it in the car?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A trickle charger won't do much to charge the battery, it's just used to maintain a battery so it won't drop voltage.

You're probably better off just putting it in the car as is, then drive your car around the next few days to charge it up

3. Joaquim Silva

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would it have enough charge to start the car when new out of the box? It may be the case that my 2013 Prius 2 does not use it to start as it is in EV mode when I turn it on.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try it. Just make sure to get the polarity correct.

5. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pep Boys offers free battery installation. So....here's the question.... if you took advantage of Pep Boy's free installation what would they have done? They would have taken the battery off the shelf, put it in your car and you would have, hopefully, drove away from the store. Does that answer your question?

Install it in the car...put the trickle charger on the car when you have the chance, it won't hurt anything. If you haven't already, install a ring type connector to the main big wire connected to the large bolt in the fuse box under the hood which runs directly back to the battery for an easy battery charger connection. There are plenty of bolts around the inverter to connect the negative to.

12v Power Terminal Cover (fuse box) | PriusChat

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have a virgin battery installer? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: jk,

just install the battery, it will start.(y)

7. Joaquim Silva

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. Joaquim Silva

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Almost, I have done after getting a charged battery from Walmart Auto department but never via mail order.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like to charge new batteries at install, either before putting it in or right after, doesn't really matter which order. But: get a decent smart charger, around 4 amp max, it'll pay for itself. Also, clean up all the connections and posts, get them bright/clean. Be careful with the dust though, there's lead.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the voltage, there have been optima's with low voltage, then the owner doesn't drive enough to properly charge them.
    that's a great price btw!

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius uses that 12V battery to fire up the computers and close the relay to connect the hybrid battery to the rest of the system. It also runs some accessories. But the engine is cranked by the hybrid battery, so there isn't a great demand for power in turning on a Prius.

Unless they sent you a half dead battery (which should not happen), you should be fine. But, unless you drive a considerable distance once you start up, you could use more electrons that you put back in your drive. Putting it on a charger may or may not be helpful, but it certainly wont hurt.

Raytheeagle likes this.