1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing new speakers and amp.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by coachlewis, Nov 18, 2007.

1. coachlewis

coachlewis Hybrid Therapist

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello, first time poster here. I just purchased a 2007 non JBL Prius. I want to install my Alpine component and 2 way speakers with a 4 channel amp. I am leaving the factory head unit as to have the wheel mount controls.

I have noticed while reading through the forums that a filter or cleansweep is needed when adding an amplifier.

Will I need to do the same or is this just needed when adding an amp to a JBL system Prius?

Thanks.

2. ryanschram

ryanschram New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kingsport Hybrid @ Nov 18 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]541118[/snapback]</div>
    i don't know about any filters. I used the JL Audio Cleansweep. (i have a non-JBL)

3. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kingsport Hybrid @ Nov 17 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]541118[/snapback]</div>
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=518342 ;)

4. coachlewis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Nov 18 2007, 03:23 AM) [snapback]541179[/snapback]</div>
    That looks like a more affordable way of doing what the cleansweep does. I am not very tech savy so I have no idea what you made there banjoman. I will have an audio shop install my amp and speakers for me but I think I might try this thing you made myself if it is what I need when adding an amp to the factory stereo.

Also, what does RW RT and LW LT stand for? I assume it is right and left speakers but I am not familiar with W and the T.

thanks.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi Kingsport!! I don't have a clue about the stereo questions you have asked, but since you're just over the mountains here, I wanted to say Hello and Welcome to Prius Chat!!!

6. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kingsport Hybrid @ Nov 18 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]541288[/snapback]</div>
    The JBL system has separate amps for the front tweeters (LT, RT) and front woofers (LW, RW). Unless you plan to bi-amp, you will need to mix the tweeter and woofer outputs to feed your aftermarket amp. My circuit is an effective, inexpensive way for a DIYer to do this. There are plenty of other ways to mix the high & low outputs ranging in price from $20 to $400+. Your professional installer may have a favorite way that should be considered especially if he's doing the work. Let us know how it goes. :)

7. coachlewis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    O do not have a JBL system. So does this mean I will not have to mix the outputs because I don't have the JBL amp. Or would I still need to use your circuit or another gadget for balancing?

I will only have the factory stereo, components in the front, 2 ways in the rear, and a 4 channel amp all Alpine. I am not clear if I will need to add anything else to make this setup sound decent.

Thanks for the response.

8. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are right King. Since you do not have the JBL system it will be much easier for you to install the amp. No summing required.

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kingsport Hybrid @ Nov 18 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]541417[/snapback]</div>
    I'm surprised that Pkg#5 didn't come with the JBL "premium" set up. Are you sure about that?
    Do you have Bluetooth?

Anyways, assuming that you don't have the integrated JBL crap, besides what everyone else has already said,
    you might also want to consider a small self-powered sub like the Kenwood to fill up the low end. Also, adding some vibration deadening mats would really help tighten up the sound.

10. coachlewis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the responses. I have the touring package 2 that does not have the JBL or Bluetooth. I need to change my avatar info.

I will have everything installed and listen how it sounds and if it is still not pleasing to the ol' ear drums I will look into all the options everyone has suggested.

Thanks for the hello Rangerdave. Gotta love these Appy mountains.

11. CAPT Seabee

CAPT Seabee New Member

Welcome to the forum. I installed an amp/speaker system on the non-JBL 05. There're great "how to's" on this site. If you want an idea of where I put my stuff, along with a powered subwoofer, please check

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...;hl=capt+seabee

Really enjoy the sound. I'm sure most any reputable amp/speaker combination will put you vastly ahead of the stock system.

Enjoy. Warm regards, CAPT Seabee