1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Pioneer AVIC-F500BT

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sko580, Mar 8, 2009.

1. sko580

sko580 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey All - I am needing some guidance installing the Pioneer AVIC-F500BT GPS. It is a portable unit that can be removed from the vehicle, however, there is a cradle that can be hard wired to the vehicle.

My ultimate goal is to continue to use the stock radio and bluetooth via the JBL system that came with my 2009 Prius. I would like to have the GPS audio be feed into the speakers of car and at the same time, also be able to mute the music from the stock radio when the GPS announces the next direction. But... the phone conversation via bluetooth would get priority and be able to mute the GPS audio.

The wiring harness for the GPS has a few wires that needs to be connected to the car somehow. There is a blue/white wire that is labeled for AMP CONTROL and then there is a 3.5mm male connector that provides LEFT/RIGHT AUDIO OUT.

Question - is there a way to connect/splice these cables to existing wiring on the Prius? Or do I need to get the Pioneer ND-G500 4-Channel Gateway Amplifier and then have that connected to the stock radio? And if I do end up getting the amplifier, can the above goal be met?

Any feedback be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. SillyBilly

SillyBilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In my humble opinion, this setup looks overcomplicated and redundant. I'd use a simple navi unit that has GVIF video output and can be hooked to the touchscreen input of the car. Such things are widely sold in Russia for ~1/5 price of the AVIC-F500 and fit the Prius well - I think you should research the availability of such units on your coast. Sorry about offtopic - I just prefer nice solutions.

Ontopic: you must dig pretty deep into the schematic of your car in order to find out how to mute the radio properly from your AVIC and not take over the BT.

3. sko580

sko580 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I originally had the Garmin 265WT. It included lifetime traffic but the pop up advertisement annoyed me.

I decided to go with the F500BT because I have the in-dash version, the F900BT in my RAV4. The F500BT seems nice because the wiring can connect to the cradle rather than the unit itself. But most importantly, it was cheaper than the Garmin. The F500BT goes for $189.

4. sko580

sko580 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Install is complete. This GPS uses a cradle and the cradle is hard wired to the car for both 12V constant and ignition control. This would allow the unit to automatically turn on and off when the car turns on or off, but can be manually turned on even though car is off.

I decided to proceed with install for two reasons. First, I already have the permanent version, F900BT in the RAV4 and no need to learn this GPS. The second is because it cost $200 for this 5.8" screen.

In order to use the suction mount, I had to use the suction mounting plate. The plate was reinforced with mirror holder clips. I figured, if I get bored with this GPS, I can always use the plate with another GPS mount.

Below is some pics of the setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice set-up, sko. Did you do any of the audio integration you talked about in your previous posts? If so can you share how you did it?

6. sko580

sko580 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't get a chance to do the audio integration yet. I decided not to mess around with the wiring of the speakers and such. However, in the wiring harness, was an audio output that could be plugged into the aux input found in the center console of the Prius. This could be my solution for integrating my iPod into the car. Pioneer sells a cable to connect the iPod and can support voice commands for the iPod.

But right now, it is a very usable GPS unit.