1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Pyle PLDNANDVR695 Android HU in 2014 Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MartinGale, Sep 4, 2017.

1. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a Pyle PLDNANDVR695 refurbished unit from ebay for less than $200 delivered with a 1 year warranty from Pyle Audio. I selected this unit due to Pyle's presence and US support. Additionally it comes with both forward and backup cameras and Bluetooth microphone. This a double DIN unit and requires a dash kit to install.

This is what I am installing:

I am also installing a Visteon Zoom HDRadio adapter. This is an aftermarket HDRadio tuner that can either be connected through the Aux Input or through a RF connection by chaining it between the radio antenna and the radio's antenna input. The second method is how most people who add HDRadio to a factory radio install the unit. Since the Pyle has Aux Audio and Aux Video input, I will use the Aux due to the higher quality signal available versus the modulated signal through the radio antenna method.

I think I have most of the hookup figured out, however I am having difficulty finding the reverse, steering wheel key 1 & 2 wires. If anyone can offer any advice, I will be indebted to you. I plan on doing a detailed install guide and review of this low cost unit.

2. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finally got this installed. Radio and subwoofer output are pretty good. GPS with Waze works well as long as you have cell phone to use as hotspot. The screen is large enough to get the mage with enough size to be able to take a quick glance to keep aware of traffic and route. Steering wheel controls are programmed from within the Android system. An external interface was not required.

The radio FM tuner is pretty sensetive. I wired antenna to switched power. I had tried using power antenna connection with poor results. I think the power antenna may pulse 12 volts and drop down or shut off after antenna has been powered for a few seconds. With the subwoofer the stock speakers are not too bad. The car is frequently noisy depending on the road surface and speed. On smooth pavement or at a stop it sounds very good for a car audio system.

Now the negative stuff. Steering wheel changes in volume can take up to 10 seconds to occur. If the unit is busy and I get impatient and continue pressing Volume+ I get a nice loud surprise when the unit catches up with my anxious button punching. Most of us are accustomed to the volume change being immediate.

Switching from one app to another is extremely slow.

It also takes far too long to power up the unit for the backup camera to be useful, unless you start your car and eat your breakfast before putting car into reverse. I exaggerate, but normally I have typically travelled several blocks before the unit finishes powering up.

The forward facing camera gives an excellent live picture. In my opinion the DVR is garbage. Recorded images are pixelated and look like Monet painted them after a late night wine binge. So much for idea of being able to read license plate numbers. I recently had 2 18 wheelers make wide turns into my lane. I anticipated the potential problem but planned on sending footage to the trucking company. When I mounted the SD card on my computer the portion of the file when it happened was a .temp file. I never could get it to play. This was when I discovered how poor all the recorded images were.

BTW I am using quality Class 10 64 GB cards that were formated by the Android unit.

3. Leonid Makhnovskiy

Leonid Makhnovskiy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you please explain how you connected the steering wheel buttons to Pyle PLDNANDVR695? Did you connect SW1, SW2, and SWG from the R10 directly to the Pyle? I am currently using PAC RP4.2-TY11 and can't get buttons to work. Also, did you have to program the buttons? If so how did you do it? Manual says: To enter the steering wheel menu it will prompt you for a 4 digit pass code you will need to enter '0000'. But If I go into settings-->car settings->Steering, I get no prompt for the pin. Just see all the buttons, but no way to program.

4. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You do not need the PAC. You can connect directly to the head unit using the information below. Once the head unit is properly connected to steering 1, steering 2 and ground, you program them by pressing appropriate button on steering wheel and desired action on the head unit. I cannot remember, but I believe you select desired action first and then the button the steering wheel you want programmed to that action.
    Unfortunately, I no longer have the Pyle mounted in my Prius. Performance was not adequate for my needs.

I cannot remember the exact method for programming, but it is the same on nearly all Android head units.

I must say that the display on the Pyle unit is much brighter than several higher priced Android units I have tried.

Please see the steps below;

With 20 Pin connector behind the radio:
    If your INTERFACE has a White/Black wire:
    Connect pin 7 (Red) to the Key 1 wire. Connect Pin 8 (Green) to the Key 2 wire. Connect Pin 6 (Pink) wire to ground.
    If your INTERFACE does not have a White/Black wire:
    Connect Pin 7 (Red) to the Key 1 wire. Connect one end of a 560-ohm resistor to Pin 8 (Green), then connect the other end of the resistor to the Key 2 wire. Connect Pin 6 (Pink) wire to ground.

With 28 Pin connector behind the radio:
    If your INTERFACE has a White/Black wire:
    Connect Pin 21 (Red) to the Key 1 wire. Connect Pin 22 (Green) to the Key 2 wire. Connect Pin 23 (Pink) wire to ground.
    If your INTERFACE does not have a White/Black wire:
    Connect Pin 21 (Red) to the Key 1 wire. Connect one end of a 560-ohm resistor to Pin 22 (Green), then connect the other end of the resistor to the Key 2 wire. Connect Pin 23 (Pink) wire to ground.

Good luck.

Leonid Makhnovskiy likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    PSA, Pyle is one of the bottom of the barrel electronic companies when it comes to quality. Their top of the line models are average at best, in high school, I bought many of their car audio products to begin my car stereo system days, did save a lot of money but paid for what I got. Advise everyone to invest a bit more to get a reputable product name brand, their subwoofers are probably one of the best bang for your buck.

6. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that Pyle is mediocre quality. What surprised me was the quality of the touch screen and display. When the unit is not busy counting it’s toes and looking at the pretty blue sky the touch screen is very good. Plus the display is brighter than the others I have tried or seen in stores. The biggest problem is that it spends far too much time trying to unscramble it’s brain. 10 minutes to launch GPS and frequent reboots caused me to surrender and buy an octa-core unit with lots of memory and a 10.1” screen. I will put together a review of the new unit soon.