1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing rear bumper protector

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mjustice, Jun 9, 2016.

1. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Any suggestions on self installation of the rear bumper protector (not the applique) on a Prius 4 Touring? Dealer wants $80 to install the $80 protector.

2. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the rigid one, right? Peel and stick type? I have done my last two. It isn't a big deal, just make sure you get the alignment right because that tape likes to stick.

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did mine myself. Just be sure to "dryfit" and mark edges and/or centerline with tape or greasepencil before you pull the protective covers off of the tapes. Then just put in place and push down firmly.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not know about the "BumperBabe", but I reattached the Rear Bumper Protector ([​IMG] ) on my Gen II touring after it had started to come loose, I made sure the surfaces were spotlessly clean, and prepped with alcohol, and used double-sided tape (AutoZone) (2 strips, one at front, one at rear). Last time I looked it was still firmly attached (after 2 years) - YMMV - hope this helps - Wil

5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Tips....make sure the paint is clean of wax and all.

With the double stick tape you only get "one shot" to install correctly.

Some use denutured (sp) alcohol to clean the paint surface, others the professional grease and wax remover products.

Make sure the bumper temperature is warm ambient temperature ...not cold... not hot.

Measure three (or more) times!
    Blue painters paint (opps yes, blue painters tape) and a grease pencil are your friendly tools as mentioned above.

Some install from an outside corner of the accessory to the center to the final side to limit "bubbles" and folds so to say.
    Others start in the middle and work towards the outside.
    These techniques help the double stick tape apply evenly again with no air bubbles.
    What do the instructions say?...I'd default to the instruction guidance if available.

Remember...only "one shot" so be patient and precise.

Good luck with your install.

#5 Kenny94945, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    WilDavis likes this.
  6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think Kenny means blue painters tape.

krmcg likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point about the temp, I'd intended to mention it in my post, when I asked my dealer where I'd bought the car how to fix the loose piece, he mentioned about it works best when it's warm, i.e. don't do it in Jan unless you've a warm garage.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.