1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing TPMS for countries that doesn't have it by default

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by abubin, May 4, 2020.

1. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius sold in my country comes from Japan. It does not have built-in TPMS. Getting the original is a bit pricey. So I opted for a more affordable version which if broke or stolen, I am fine with getting replacement.

Here is a simple video of unboxing and installation. Price is around 15-20USD sold in aliexpress.

BTW, this works for all cars.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish i could have sold you mine!:p

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ll trade you red wine for your set. My tpms light came on yesterday with no flats so one of the batteries is low on charge. I don’t feel like hunching down to press the tpms button at the moment to try troubleshooting

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why i'd get rid of mine if i could, too much hunching :cool:

5. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol...shipping would probably cost more than the unit. But yeah, nothing beats original TPMS as it's more integrated into the car.

bisco likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    “More integrated” meaning car not able to show each tire’s psi and temp, and that’s higher value than aftermarket with more detailed status? :ROFLMAO:

7. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's more subtle. Minimalistic, as it integrated into the car dash. Unlike what we have for third party devices, we have another piece of the device lying on top of the dash.

8. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder what is the weight of these caps. (Knowing that during tyre centralization 10g is used.)
    Most of the cases I would not need this info. Can it be get from Techstream?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Techstream can display each sensor's detected pressure, but afaik doesn't what corner of the car the sensors are on.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With LRR tires, heavy caps should effect tire balance. Techstream doesn't have a weight measurement system of caps, hell it doesnt even tell you location of sensor is on location of each wheel.

11. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know that Techstream cannot show caps’ weight. It’s sad that the position is not showed. Anyhow, I cannot recall any occasion when I’ve missed the TPMS - though my Prius has it.

12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Carista does this as well, but which wheel is which is the issue.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let half of the air out of one of the tires. Before doing that, have a working air compressor ready to go.

14. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I will send the car for wheel balancing and alignment later.

15. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why should I do that?

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe to identify where the various sensors are?

@Grit didn't quote this, but I think that's where he was going:

With the air pressure dropped, you can track down which sensor number corresponds to which corner.

Another thought:

Some ScanGuageII owners were sending their units back for a free reprogramming, that allowed them to display tpms sensor data. The SG has for values displayed, in a square pattern. So you could arrange them to be positioned like the car's tire locations.

Personally I can't get to excited about this. Also, I run snow tires for 4~5 months without sensors, get by.

17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You mentioned that you missed the TPMS, so by letting the air out enough that will make the light come on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wrote I cannot recall any occasion when I missed it. Sorry if my English is not good enough, I wanted to write, that I don’t find TPMS very useful.

19. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, TPMS is not really important until you need it. It's like insurance. As someone who occasionally check the tyre, you would be your own TPMS. However, there are times like when you are in the middle of driving and have a slow leak. Having TPMS will allow you to be notified before the air totally runs out and you can avoid accident.

Another use of TPMS is for drivers that do not bother with checking their cars. A lot of women and men just use the car and never care to learn about things like engine oil and tyre pressure. They rely on workshops and their husband or father to take care of the car for them. Hence the need for TPMS to remind them of low tyre pressure which they can remind their partner to pump air.

20. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don’t want to say it’s absolutely useless, though I’ve never needed - whenewer I had flat tyre it was a quick one. And it happened 3 times in the last 30 years.
    I can imagine more usefull tool. (TPMS is a must in Europe since 2004. Parking sensor, back camera, BLIS are not.)
    By the way if the tyre getflat quick, TPMS will not help to avoid accident. And even if it is slow one, driver should be able to recognise it before it gets so dangerous to cause an accident.
    It was more sold as a comfort equiment, you don’t have to check tyre pressure to recognise if it’s not on the expected pressure. (And flat tyre may increase the fuel consumption, but driving style has much bigger effect on that.)