1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installs & Reviews of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by amped, Nov 8, 2004.

1. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    then i'd like your tires ;)

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Installs & Reviews of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped\";p=\"73979)</div>
    Thanks for reporting back on your tires. It's important to get real-world feedback. It's unclear from your post where you live though.

It sounds like your tires are fine 3-season tires. The ice conditions you describe existed here in Winnipeg - in one form or another - for almost 4 months this year.

Either the entire road was a sheet of ice, with numerous closures, or due to the -40 weather the intersections remained glare ice. If the entire tire has the enhanced winter tread construction, like my Dunlop Graspic DS-2, then you were fine. Studded are even better.

When I replaced my Integrity tires with Michelin Harmony, I didn't notice any fuel economy difference. There's nothing special about the Integrity, it's a cheap mass-market tire, that's why it's so popular as an OEM tire.

You must have great smooth roads where you live. With the frost heaves and enormous potholes - the CAA is warning drivers of which streets to avoid - I'm trying to figure out how to *soften* the ride of my Prius.

In particular, on the Bishop Grandin expressway just west of the Pembina/ UofM exit, there are a series of frost heaves almost 2 inches high. Despite the posted 80 km/h, many will slow down to 20-30 km/h to avoid tire and suspension damage.

I'm thinking of trying Goodyear Assurance ComforTred to see if that softens up the ride a bit. Though I hear you sacrifice around 5% fuel economy. If it saves rattles and squeaks, it's worth it.

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in Portland, OR, a moderate climate in a valley between mountain ranges. Below freezing temps are rare, maybe twice a year for a few days at a time, so we don't get the frost heaves and potholes like you do. The road surfaces are generally smooth.

When we do get the infrequent ice storm, only studs or chains work. The city applies gravel, not salt, to selected routes sparingly. Local weather gives fair warning to the approaching ice storm, so most people stock up and hunker down for the duration. I know, it's kind of silly compared to Snowbelt states or even the East side of the Cascade Range where everyone takes ice and snow in stride.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped\";p=\"74072)</div>
    Sounds like the perfect environment for your tires and inflation pressures.

5. jchu

jchu New Member

My personal experience with Goodyear TT this winter was very exceptable including several trips between Boise, ID and Seattle, WA through the Blues in Oregon and Snoqualmie Pass in Washington. This included several trips where chains were recommended but not required. (and due to personal oversight I do not have a VSC equipped Prius.)
    Also, in addition to the "additives" to the center tread, the center tread is also deeply siped at the factory to improve the grip. While not up to Canadian winters, they are more than adequate for the vast majority of winter travel in the lower 48.

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Installs & Reviews of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred'

Update: Both TripleTred and ComfortTred have a $40 mail-in rebate available between 5/15-6/4/2005. See your dealer for details. Original post subject line edited.