1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instantaneous MPG readings for best fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JimboK, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philmcneal @ May 3 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]435109[/snapback]</div>
    Phil, sorry, I missed your post earlier, but thanks for the feedback.

For the purpose of the proposed rule of thumb, I don't think whether the low end of the ICE RPM efficiency range is 1400 or 1500 matters too much. The rule is not precise and all-encompassing; its intent is to be easy while mostly keeping the ICE efficient. Having said that, I would be interested in hearing from you, since you have a Can-view, of whether it actually accomplishes that.

To digress a bit, in a discussion on CleanMPG, Hobbit said, "the 'low end' loafing thing isn't necessarily strictly RPM, it's low *load*." His observations are based on using a vaccum gauge (speaking of chogan's reference to same), among other added instrumentation, while driving. For several weeks I've been watching LOD (engine loading) on my ScanGauge in the hopes that it, along with RPM, would help tell me when this loafing condition occurs. The SG of course doesn't record its data, so the best I can do is observe its instantaneous readouts, mentally compare them, and then apply a little guesswork. When I know I'm in an efficient range, RPM-wise (say, 1800-2000 or so), LOD is around 50 + 5 or so. There are times I let the RPM drop to about 1400, or even lower at lower speeds, and LOD stays in the 40s. So I'm guessing I'm still running somewhat efficiently. One thing I know is that the relationship between pedal and LOD is not linear; I can ease up some more and see a significant LOD dropoff into the 20s. I'm guessing (pretty confident, actually) I'm running inefficiently there.

Chogan, if I'm not mistaken, Hobbit has actually worked on developing a prototype of just such a "sweet spot" light, using vacuum gauge readings.

2. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just wanted to post that I seem to be able to accelerate in the 1 to 2 MPH per second range on a flat while keeping MPG > 0.5 x MPH. Typically when I get close to or above 2 MPH per second I start to see MPG < 0.5 x MPH. If there is much of an incline at all, I usually have to accelerate slower than 1 MPH per second to stay in the target range.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Japanese hypermilers are saying that the 76-80 (MAX:200, 38-40% on CAN-view) CAN accelerator pedal value is the best for FE on accelerating, no matter what instantaneous MPG readings are.

Ken@Japan

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does someone have both Can-view and a Scangauge and can correlate the 38-40% of Can-view to the TPS of Scangauge.

Wayne

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 8 2007, 02:09 AM) [snapback]437370[/snapback]</div>
    Now that's a valuable piece of information.
    Thanks for relaying that.

Dave M.

6. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 8 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]437669[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, thank you Ken.

Do I read that right - they shoot for (what in the old days would have been called a) throttle position, now properly termed accelerator pedal position?

Second, can anbody verify that the pedal position as measure on the CAN-view is linear in the actual physical pedal position? So does that actually correspond to pushing the pedal 40 percent of the way through its entire travel?

That's certainly in the ballpark of a rule-of-thumb mentioned in a prior thread (Dr. Fusco?), which was to do a brisk accel with the pedal one-third of the way down - 33%, 38%, who's counting.

If it's good enough for me to shoot for pushing the pedal literally to 40% of the travel, then I can gin up a simple physical device (like with duct tape and a playing card) that will tell me when I have my foot in the right position. Or Two wires and a light bulb if I want to play high-tech redneck.

Can anybody validate the concept (sensor based 40% of pedal travel is about right, and sensor is linear in actual physical pedal position) before I get duct tape adhesive on the inside of my Prius?

7. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am bumping this thread as another request for feedback from those with added instrumentation. What do you think? Is the concept viable and the rule workable? Am I way out in left field?

8. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 30 2007, 07:57 AM) [snapback]432458[/snapback]</div>
    Jim, I applaud your efforts but I don't think this will work and in some cases may not even be possible.

Example: A 15 mile drive at 30 mph. According to your formula, my maximum mpg (30 x 1.2) is limited to 36. Similarly at 40 mph, max mpg is 48. I know I can do a lot better than that without even watching the MFD or doing any math. Or did I miss something?

9. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 14 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]441596[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry for implying but not stating that this is for ICE-on phases of driving only. The infinite MPG seen the remainder of the time -- gliding, coasting, braking, etc. -- will increase the net MPG substantially.

10. dprice23

dprice23 D-Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 2 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]433883[/snapback]</div>
    I share Highly ImPriused's question on this issue. I just installed a ScanGauge II. Before I did that I was simply trying to maintain the highest instantaneous MPG numbers possible on the MFD. That included very ginger accellerations. Now that I have the ScanGauge I see that when I'm doing that I'm at 1280 RPM or so, way under the sweet spot of 1700 - 2300 RPM. But if I go for the sweet spot my MPG goes way down. So the only way I can see that trying for the sweet spot would IMPROVE MPG is that it gets you up to glide speed faster, even though during the pulse you're not getting as good MPG. Is that correct?

My other question is that Wayne Gerdes says in his P & G article over on cleanmpg.com that proper pulse looks like this:

[attachmentid=9505]

But when I get no EV assist and flow to instead of from the battery like that, I see that my RPM is in the 1280 range again. Seems contrary to what everyone's saying here, no?

Also, anyone have figures on what's a good LOD (engine load) target number, independent of RPM?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Attached Files:

11. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dprice. Some of the hypermiling gurus (Wayne in particular, I think) suggest that, generally, the larger the ratio of ICE-off time to ICE-on time during P&G, the better. This assumes you're not punching it, running RPM through the roof and pulling off the battery.

So yes, getting up to speed faster helps accomplish that. You're doing two things: reducing the ICE run time, and helping it run more efficiently when it does run.

Getting those arrows to line up perfectly and stay there is tough. Whenever you first hit the pedal for a pulse, pulling from the battery a bit seems inevitable due to the effective and near-instantaneous low-end torque from the motor. (Veterans, correct me if I'm off on that one.) Then once the ICE gets going it takes over. My observations suggest that, for the most part, keeping RPM within its efficient range (and keeping iMPG as I suggested at the beginning of this thread), minimizes any further tendency for orange arrows to appear.

I recently got Can-View. After seeing Ken's post about the Japanese using a pedal value of 38-40, I've been watching the relationship of pedal position to RPM on Can-View during pulses. Preliminarily, the Japanese technique appears to validate the RPM methodology, which in turn validates the (iMPG > MPH x .05) rule. A difference is that maintaining constant pedal pressure produces a gradual increase in RPM, beginning at maybe 1600-1700 off the line up to 2200-2300 or so at 30 MPH. (I may be off a bit with the numbers; again this is preliminary.) A side benefit to the Japanese method is not having to frequently adjust the pedal to maintain RPM. Once the desired pedal position is attained, it can be held with no further need to monitor gauges -- except the speedometer of course.

LOD is the one parameter I watched with ScanGauge that I wished Can-View had but doesn't. See my earlier post above regarding observations.

Thanks for the information, and for the opportunity to explore further!

12. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jul 7 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]474754[/snapback]</div>
    For whatever it's worth my experience without added instrumentation is that after learning the MPH<2xMPG rule I have substantially increased my MPG from about 53 to 60 a difference I mostly attribute to this rule during my uphill return from work. In reality I can force 65MPG in my drive but then it gets too laborious. Also I don't want to focus too much on the MPG readings. Currently from a 9.5 gallon fill-up I'm at 277 miles with 3 pips gone.

I have been wondering about a device that indicates best accelerator pedal condition also. It seems to me that Toyota should have provided an add-on button/accessory that forces the ICE to around 1500-2400 RPM. There must be a way to do this and I personally think Toyota could *easily claim >60mpg with this function.

13. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ May 8 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]437720[/snapback]</div>
    After the recent posts here, I've gone back and re-read some of the earlier ones. Chogan, from what I gather, you're correct. Now that I've gotten Can-View (which I didn't have when you first posted this and therefore couldn't comment), I can see it first hand. As best I can tell, it appears that the "throttle" value in Can-View tracks linearly with pedal position. I haven't tested the full range, though, to see if 100 = floored.

Regardless, that it changes with pedal pressure supports using the term "accelerator" position rather than "throttle."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Jul 7 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]474766[/snapback]</div>
    That's great to hear. I appreciate the feedback.

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JimboK thanks for the advice. I generally try to be at around MPH~1.5xMPH unless I'm being pushed or are starting from a stop when I aim to not exceed the 2xMPG mark. For the record I got 58mpg going 55-65MPH on the highway in considerable traffic and I've only had the car for 2600 miles. I expect more tire tread wear and perhaps this inexplicable break-in people speak off.

I'm wondering if it's better to use the battery range from 3-7 bars or to pulse hard and help maintain the 6 bars like the Prius wants.

I think the answer depends on the speed of the warp stealth, be it between 30-40MPH in the suburbs or 50MPH in the back roads. Anyone know?

15. dprice23

dprice23 D-Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jul 7 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]474754[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Jimbo! I'm going to try keeping RPM in the 1700 - 2300 range for pulse and see how I do as compared to my excrutiatingly gradual accelleration up until now. B)

One more question: How do you guys handle the pre-glide period before you get to stage 4? I've found that I can do a quasi-glide after getting up to speed, at least toward the end of this period, where the ICE is still on, the screen looks as I posted above, and at times the iMPG will climb into the 90's. It helps on my 2.5 mile trip into work, because I often don't get to stage 4 until half or 3/4 of the way through, even now during summer. But of course RPMs are very low during this quasi-glide, so the engine is "loafing". Is there a better way to handle it?

Thanks!

16. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dprice23 @ Jul 7 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]474886[/snapback]</div>
    Two ways. First, making a point of stopping long enough for the S4 idle shutdown. It could be at a red light I know will be red for a few seconds, or a stop sign without impatient traffic behind. I've even pulled off the road to stop if I'm already going slow anyway, I know I won't likely have another chance for awhile, and I expect some P&G opportunites to come. For example, on one of my commute routes is a stop sign with a small gravel parking area just before it. If there's no traffic in my mirror, I'll just sit at the intersection for a few seconds. If there's traffic, I'll pull into the parking area briefly.

For some of my routes, however, I don't always have that opportunity before I hit some good P&G stretches. For that, I use my second option: the EV switch. It will shut the ICE down beginning at S2 unless some "EV deny" condition exists, like speed too high or battery too low.

With your short commute, here's another tool that will help your mileage: a block heater.

17. dprice23

dprice23 D-Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jul 8 2007, 12:18 AM) [snapback]474933[/snapback]</div>
    I know. I want one. Where I live now I don't have a garage or any other way to plug in. I may be buying a condo soon, and one of my main motivations is to have a garage. Yes, that's right, I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for my car... :blink: Of course, if I do buy it, my commute will go from 2.5 miles to about 16 miles (non-freeway) anyway, but still I'll need it for the Cleveland winters...

I am going to block my upper grill this weekend now that I have the ScanGauge to monitor coolant temps. BTW, what is the danger zone for coolant temp? Also, in the 5 stages artice ( http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt ) it says that stage 3a occurs at 163.4 F, but doesn't give a temp for stage 4. Is that temp sufficient for stage 4 after a full stop, or is there another threshold that was left out?

Thanks again for all the knowledge!

Duane

18. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dprice23 @ Jul 8 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]474953[/snapback]</div>
    The coolant thermostat starts to open at 82C and it gets full open at 95C. The cooling fan starts at 100C.
    We observe the typical coolant temp is 88C (190F).
    up to 95C (203F): green zone
    95C - 100C (212F): yellow zone
    100C and above: red zone
    There is no other threshold for S4.
    We just need the idling check ceremony to move from S3 to S4.

Ken@Japan

19. dprice23

dprice23 D-Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Ken! And I appreciate all the knowedge you bring from the Japanese hypermilers. I've learned a lot from your posts.

I tried staying in the sweet spot on my 2.5 mile commute home last night. Although I did get to stage 4 much more quickly than I did with my previous ginger accelleration, trying to maintain high iMPG method, I only got a little over 39 MPG for the trip, whereas before I was able to get into the 50's. It's probably just too short for the glides to offset the lower initial MPG. I have a longer drive today, so we'll see how I do.

20. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jul 7 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]474858[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, Jimbok, that's useful information. I'm not up to installing a can-view, but I'm pretty sure I can rig something simple to tell me when I have the pedal at 40%.