1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instructions don't come with Toyota Accessories

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by JohnF, Apr 28, 2016.

1. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In March when I took delivery of my new Model 2 ECO, I decided to get some Toyota Accessories listed on the Toyota website: Rear Bumper Protector, Cargo Tray Plus, All-weather Floor Liners, Door Edge Guards. My dealer's parts guy had no idea what I was talking about and said he could not get them for me. So I got them (quickly!) through the PriusChat Shop.

They arrived in their OEM Toyota boxes. But there were no mounting instructions in the boxes! This was a problem only for the Door Edge Guards and the Rear Bumper Protector. Then I noticed these stickers on the boxes:

IMG_0188.JPG

Huh? I pay $230 and instructions are not included? The TIS is not accessible by mere customers.

The parts guy at my dealer was very helpful, found the files, and printed them for me. I put on the rear bumper protector no problem, the instructions were useful. I bought from Sears ($25-ish) a double-sided mallet recommended to attach the door edge guards. And yesterday I finally geared up to install the edge guards. The last four pages of the instructions are templates, one for each door, that one cuts out, tapes to the car, and uses to align the edge guards properly. Each template includes a scale you check to make sure it was printed at 100%, not enlarged or shrunk. This complication would be avoided if instructions printed at the right size were included in the box.. Then I noticed that the upper edge of each template is off the page, so that the tabs that you need to align the top end of each edge guard are missing.

So I did what I should have done to begin with: a Google search on the part number, and up popped a link to a pdf of the instructions that a thoughtful Toyota dealership (Sparks Toyota, Myrtle Beach, SC) has posted online:
    http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/PT936-47160inst.pdf

Examining that, I saw that the last four pages (the templates) were cut off because they are supposed to be printed on LEGAL sized paper! I phoned the parts guy at my dealer, and he said they don't have any legal sized paper (which apparently means that their techs would mount the edge guards by eye?). Rather than pay for a ream of legal paper I don't otherwise need, I'm going to try to bum a few sheets from somebody in town.

Seems like a lot of heavy lifting just to mount parts I paid for. And given what I found out, I'm so glad I didn't ask the dealer to mount them for me!!!

A forward step for Toyota would be to post mounting instructions online somewhere that customers could access them. Perhaps a new section of the ToyotaCare website: Toyota.com/Owners

EDIT: I went to Staples and they sold me sheets of legal paper for 11 cents each: same price as copies except they didn't do the copying. Most copy centers would probably do likewise.

#1 JohnF, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The company cost savings of moving equipment wear, ink and paper to the consumer.
    And those that are adverse to computers.....

I understand your post and agree.

Now again, my rant...where the Factory Workshop Manual as a paper copy!
    The internet is weak for these types of manuals in shop/ garage use in my opinion.

Anyway reads like you did an outstanding edge guard installation...better than the dealer!

Good luck today.

JohnF likes this.
  3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love computers, but paper definitely has its uses too. When factory manuals came out on microfiche I felt that was a step backwards because they could not be annotated with useful hints by the user. Same for factory manuals online. Some day maybe we will be able to download a factory manual and add comments where needed (I suppose that might be done now if one has the full version of Adobe Acrobat).

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They definitely shouldn't be selling parts without all the prerequisite instructions and templates included.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting.
    I did not know this.

I'm almost OK with Toyota saving ink, and space by putting the installation instructions online. Because I've got to figure if you can afford accessories, you probably have access to a computer and a printer.

But FORCING you to go to the dealer?

Either just include the instructions with the parts...BEST solution.
    Or at least make the instructions openly available.

You paid for, and received your parts, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get installation instructions.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not including instructions with the parts, is so ridiculous, that I can't even comment without wanting to swear!

(And still looking for door sill protectors... Non-lighted. Anybody?)

7. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, you should be able to annotate and comment a pdf with the latest version of Adobe Reader which is free. J

8. Geo13647

Geo13647 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A forward step for Toyota would be to post mounting instructions online somewhere that customers could access them. Perhaps a new section of the ToyotaCare website: Toyota.com/Owners

Here in right pond land we have free access to parts of Toyota Tech that does have most of the info you may need.
    Should work for you too.

Toyota Service Information

G...

frodoz737 likes this.
  9. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I looked at the US owners site and could not find any installation instructions. I think these accessories are region-specific anyway, so it may be a case of "wrong pond land".

10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    At least Toyota needs to print a bar-code, where you can scan with the phone, and pull up the docs right to your screen.

I think that I bought a box of cereal, that had something like that.

Doesn't consume print and paper, trips to the dealer... Pretty much green as you get for 2016.

Come on Toyota, step up to the plate.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not everybody is connected and computer savvy: they owe the customer paper instruction. Any $10 made in China gizmo I buy has instructions, lol.

12. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Templates: you need them on paper, and at 100% scale.

13. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here I am sitting at my table, cutting out these paper templates for mounting my door edge guards. I'm alternately having flashbacks to grade school art class, and wondering who at Toyota imagined that a tech at a dealer would have the time or inclination to do this, even supposing they had legal-sized paper to print the templates on. Perhaps these are generally mounted at the port, and maybe they have reusable plastic templates there?????

14. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just to finish up, we FINALLY got some warm dry weather so I could get the car clean and work outside. Applying the door edge guards was easier than I expected, took only about 30 minutes. A soft-faced hammer is needed (e.g., Craftsman 9-38388, about $20, I used the hardest tip, the yellow one). The templates help because the guards are supplied precisely bent to conform to the contours of the door edge, so they need to be aligned carefully. They look really nice.

While working it occurred to me that getting door edge guards in a different color might make an interesting custom styling touch. I'm thinking red edge guards on a gray or maybe black car?

In the course of this I discovered my first parking lot door ding. Someone parked close at the supermarket the other day, bet that's when it happened. Nice to have that over with!

15. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Photo?

16. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice review.
    Thanks. I am getting wary of installing "too much stuff" on my new car. Won a set of aero splitters on eBay and have an OEM set of the two tone body moldings coming my way too. And the mud flaps...

18. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget spinners!

krmcg likes this.