1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instructions for screening out rodents

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeri, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Sometime in the past I saw instructions for getting under the hood to put in screening to prevent rodents from nesting or storing debris in the cabin air filter. I have talked to our mechanic and he said he could do it if he had a general idea of the process. I decided this was necessary as I found the cabin air filter chewed on and blocked with all sorts of debris. This after only 8 months since the last change.

2. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, Jack66!

Patrick also mentioned there are mouse size openings under the rear wheel wells.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cited procedure that Jack66 identified is easy to do. However the disadvantage is that mice can still enter the car and soil the air filter. Hence you will be breathing air contaminated with their germs and filth, which is a nasty thought...

Mice can enter the ventilation system by crawling between the cowl (below the windshield) and the body. So it would be best to remove the two-piece black plastic cowl top (by removing the windshield wiper arms, the rubber trim that runs along the leading edge of the cowl, and two plastic pins on either end. The trim has plastic pins that hold it in place, and if the trim is carefully removed it can be reused.)

Once the cowl top has been removed, then you can see large openings in the bulkhead. Your mechanic should install 1/4" mesh wire screen over the openings to prevent mice from entering. If the metal cowl tray has debris in it, this should be cleaned out while the top is removed.

The trim in the hatch area also needs to be removed as there are a couple of large rectangular vents on either side. These vents are covered by the rear bumper cover. Once the trim has been removed, you will be able to see the vents from inside the car. Again, your mechanic should install wire mesh over the holes.

Good luck.