1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instructions to disable the SKS without Techstream

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by adrianblack, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

2. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The starter motor (MG1) for the engine is powered by the HV Battery, not the 12v.

Your whole premise of the 12v turning the starter motor makes no sense. To me, 90% of what you wrote is wrong or extremely confusing. But maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to say.

You talk about a yellow starting light on the power button. This would indicate your in IGNITION ON mode and not READY.

Are you pushing the brake pedal while starting the vehicle? If your not pushing the brake pedal while pushing the power button, it will cycle through ACCESSORY MODE and IGNITION ON mode. Essentially 1 and 2 click of the key on a normal vehicle before the 3rd click that starts the vehicle. Your issue could certainly be caused by a weak 12v which causes all sorts of electrical issues, I just want to make sure you're not over analyzing.

Here is a picture of my Prius in IGNITION ON mode. Notice the yellow start button?

I find it weird you're having so many issues with starting your Prius even with a charger. The 12v only needs to maintain a moderate draw, far less than a conventional vehicle, for a couple seconds before the HV Batt charge system takes over and supplies the needed current to start the motor and run the computers.

Your 12v must be complete toast.

Also, while the SKS system drains the 12v battery faster than car systems without something similar, it is nothing crazy compared to what modern car electronics will do.

All cars that sit for long periods of time will drain the 12v. 2-3 weeks without running the vehicle will begin to stress even a healthy 12v. If your 12v is unhealthy it could be less than that.

Get yourself a BMK 12v Battery Maintainer so you don't have to worry about your 12v dying.

Here is my setup for the Battery Maintainer

You can also get a 5 amp NOCO charger that can likely reverse some of the sulfation that has occurred in your batteries preventing the 12v from holding a full charge and possibly causing some of your issues.

I had a 12v that wouldn't hold a resting charge past 12.14 volts. The NOCO repair feature brought the resting voltage to 12.6+ volts.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Aung

Aung New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

#43 Aung, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021