1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instrument Lights - Let's Contact Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by keymusic, Nov 9, 2016.

1. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still hoping someone will know a way to get this information to someone at Toyota who will listen.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Prius Team is the team responsible at Toyota. They supposedly monitor the forum & respond when they are tagged.

RCO likes this.
  3. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok. Will you tagging it like this be enough to get their attention?

4. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, if the sun comes out from a cloud on a hot day, the fan will increase speed if on AUTO mode and the fan speed has not been altered since. Most of the time it's subtle, but that's been my experience with every auto climate control system I've owned, including 3 generations of Prius.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, prodigy place has done the correct thing as i mentioned in post #2. they get a notification, and usually respond. then they'll have someone from corporate contact you.

RCO likes this.
  6. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes it will!

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation for the last few days. I don't personally know exactly the right channel though, let me investigate and I'll get back to you.

Tande, RCO, krmcg and 2 others like this.
  7. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's ok...I just started this thread today.

8. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just popping in to let you know if you haven't found out already, but the headlights and the instrument dimming work the same across all the Prius models.

You turn the headlights on, and the instrument panel will or will not dim, based on ambient light! If it's bright outside the instrument panel will not dim with the headlights, whether manually or automatically turned on.

If it's dark the instrument panel will dim. You can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor to make it more/less likely to dim at certain light levels(from +2 to -2)

pilotgrrl and keymusic like this.
  9. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish that was correct, but unfortunately it's not. In my particular model which is a 2017 Prius 2, the ambient light sensor does not do anything to the affect brightness of the instrument panel lights. I have checked several others of the same model as mine and found it to be the same case. I've contacted Toyota several times but I've given up at this point because they couldn't or wouldn't do anything. In my previous Prii, which were a 2011 and a 2015, the ambient light sensor worked properly exactly as you're describing, so I'm very familiar with its intended operation.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if 'today' is 8-9-17, fine, but if not, that's a long response time from prius team.:p

11. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm confused, not trying to be argumentative. In every car that I have owned, including my 2010 Prius four, the dash lighting dims if you turn on the head lights. You then have to manually rotate the dash lighting adjustment wheel up past a stop to get the dash to go to max brightness.

Did that change to automatic sometime during the gen 3 run? In the gen 4, can you rotate the adjustment wheel to restore max brightness? If so, is automatic adjustment a safety feature or a convenience feature?

12. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if or when it changed, but the 2 3rd gen Prius Twos that I owned would use the ambient light sensor on the dashboard to keep the instrument panel lights bright if it was bright outside even if you turn the headlights on. Where generally speaking like you're saying, the instrument lights would dim when you turn the headlights on and then you would need to manually change the brightness of the instrument lights. I believe it to be a safety and convenience feature because for example if it's raining and a little cloudy, but it still more or less like daylight outside, and you want to turn your headlights on, the ambient light sensor would keep the instrument lights on so you wouldn't need to fiddle with anything to get the instrument lights back bright enough to see. By the way, before I got my Prius, I had owned four Toyota Matrix and all of them also had the same feature and they were all the base model.

13. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should also add that on page 98 of my manual it states that it does work in the way I'm describing, even though it actually doesn't work that way. Even with this documentation I couldn't get Toyota to do anything.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Disregard everything I say if you wish because I really don't know.
    BUT..
    I'm kinda unclear as to exactly what the problem is, and/or even if there really is a problem.

Could you post or quote directly what it saying on page 98, that you think it is NOT doing?

This is where I get kind of think there might be no problem at all. If you turn your headlights on during the day, The Prius goes into "nightime" driving mode. It assumes you are turning on your lights because you need them. The sensor on the dash reads the amount of light and IF there is plenty, IE: Daytime...I think it may by design be dimming the dash lights, realizing you have enough surrounding light and DON'T need them as bright.

If I remember right, turning on my headlights in my Gen 3 Prius DID dim the dash lights. The idea being...in the dark you don't need or want the dash lights to be as bright as during the day. In the dark, for a display you need less light for the same visual revelation.

I also remember my brightness dial being quite a bit touchy. It definitely had a point where it went from dim, brighter, brighter...to BOOM...fully bright. It was kind of hard to adjust to a point I was happy with. I did get it where I liked it...then never touched it. But that was something maybe I should of complained about...I just wasn't sure anyone could ever fix it.

I could be totally wrong.

But I'm will admit I'm still not 100% clear on what the OP thinks is wrong.

15. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll try to clarify simply. If I have my instrument lights set fairly dim, they will dim when I turn my headlights on. If I turn my headlights on and it's daylight outside, the instrument lights should stay bright, just like they are with my headlights off. This is how it worked in the previous cars I was talking about, and this is how it works in a fourth generation Prius 3 for example. But, it's not working this way in my fourth generation Prius Two, or any other fourth generation Prius Two that I have checked. My car has an ambient light sensor on the dashboard however my car does not have automatic headlights, so the only purpose of the ambient light sensor is to do what I'm describing. IMG_4483.PNG

16. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would probably be much easier just to go to a Toyota dealer and try the two different models and then you could actually see what's going on. Because the instructions on page 98 of the manual are a little ambiguous, but I know what it's trying to say since I have had real world experience with it.

17. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK..I'll just bow out.
    Good Luck.

I think those instructions are more than a little ambiguous however, and at least the second part IS what I remember.
    That is " If the taillights are illuminated in a dark area the instrument cluster WILL dim." -unless you evidently are on setting 1 or 22.

Are you on setting 1 or 22?

keymusic likes this.
  18. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to be flippant, but it doesn't matter what setting I'm on because the ambient light sensor isn't doing anything. :) I honestly think this was an oversight, intentionally or unintentionally, by Toyota in my specific model, since it works properly in every other model of this generation, and in every model of the third generation. It's funny that this thread got revived, because I gave up on this months ago.

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most hopeless or ill planned crusades end up abandoned.

RCO likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There was another issue on gen four 2016 that got corrected in 2017. Even though the Manual said one thing, and the car another, Toyota basically told owners to pound sand.

keymusic likes this.