1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instrument panel swap from '08 to '04

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bacon_Is_A_Pooper, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Bacon_Is_A_Pooper

Bacon_Is_A_Pooper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently swapped the instrument cluster from am 08 to my 04 due to a failing combo meter, I just swapped the whole cluster, everything is working but I have a low tire pressure light on that I had never had turn on in my 04 cluster.
    I also have a VSC light on and idk why.

Is my tire light on due to the lack of the sensor in my 04' or do I need I even have pressure sensors?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The tire pressure warning system was added for model year 2006. The combination meter (Toyota’s term for the instrument cluster) is probably trying to warn you that it hasn’t received any messages over the BEAN bus from the tire pressure warning ECU, which doesn’t exist on your car. I’m not sure there’s an easy way to fix this, other than to remove or cover the TPWS warning light.
    On cars of both model years, the VSC (vehicle stability control) warning light is controlled by the skid control ECU, the computer that controls the brake system. The skid control ECU sends a warning signal over the CAN bus to the gateway ECU, which then forwards it over the BEAN bus to the combination meter.

If there aren’t any VSC-related diagnostic trouble codes, this might be another problem caused by model year differences; perhaps something about the BEAN bus messages changed. If you have a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, have you tried the Active Test for VSC Warning Light?

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is your 04 even equipped with VSC? (it was optional) Like the TPMS light, the cluster is designed to turn the VSC light on unless it receives a message telling it to keep it off.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.