1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance Bumper and Grill Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Siward, May 29, 2023.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi PriusChat,

I got into an accident yesterday with a novice driver. She made a left turn and plowed directly into me. I was already going so slow over speed bumps yet I still got hit. I managed to stop, but there is no avoiding another car hitting you head on from the front due to a very sharp left turn. You can imagine how bad a driver she was if she can hit me on the passenger side front using a left turn.

Well, the next part is insurance. The easy route would be to have the dent plastered with Bondo, sanded down and then finished with paint. Instead, the body shop is has evaluated that they will replace both bumper and grill. Perhaps the replacement is merited as it is slightly cracked (see pics). It will mean that they will have to repaint the whole front and deal with blending issues (between old and new paint).

I always thought insurance would replace using genuine OEM Toyota parts as it is their job to return the car to the same condition it was before the accident. What I didn't know is that genuine parts are only for those who buy the extra insurance option. It may come in one of two forms:
    1) Genuine parts insurance
    2) New car insurance (coverage of usually 5 years).

My car is over 10 years old, so insurance is only obligated to replace the part with one of similar depreciated value.

Since I don't have the extra coverage the insurance company reserves the right to use aftermarket or used parts. They will only use genuine parts if they cannot find anything cheaper based on availability.

Does PriusChat know if there are any problems with aftermarket bumpers or grills? The insurance has offered me an option of paying for difference. I also own a Canadian Prius Touring trim, which comes with LED headlamps. They might have to go OEM because it is a rare model and aftermarket may not be available. Perhaps the aftermarket quality is okay?

Attached Files:

#1 Siward, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe you can discuss with them; that looks very trivial, not warranting replacement. Replacement "may" open other "cans of worms", too.

We had a similar tap on a back corner: our usual place did their magic and made it look like new.

BTW, that looks like Canadian level "Touring" (same as ours). You can select that for PriusChat avatar.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a replacement front bumper on my 2015 due to flying debris on the highway. The grill was not damaged. My comprehensive covered it. They used an aftermarket bumper and it has been fine. It's been about 3 years and no problems, paint still matches just fine.

4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: Body shop just phoned me and they will being going OEM for the bumper, but aftermarket for the grills. I guess they couldn't find a Prius Touring bumper cover and had to go OEM Toyota.

Replacing the old bumper is advantage for me as the old one has plenty of highway debris chips.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you get your car back, you might consider upgrading your horns.

The dual tone FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns I installed have saved me from many collisions in parking lots, and especially people merging without signaling into their blindspots on the freeway.
    Horn Upgrade --- DIY | PriusChat

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once your car is over ten years old, be it mechanical or body work, you'd be ripped off very quickly if you spent a fortune on brand new OEM. As in car repair is highly predatory and a used part for a 10 year or older car is often 10% of the price they charge for brand new OEM.

But the real question is why did you involve your insurance company in the tiniest of minor damage that wasn't your fault? You do understand that alot of the repair cost is going to come out of your pocket as the deductible, right? And then as per usual the predatory nature of auto insurance they're going to raise your rates and you're going to pay more every month forever...

Why not go after the other driver's insurance and keep your insurance company out of it and get as much as you can in a check from them and then live with the damage and put that check in the bank with a plan to spend it on you next car someday?

More to the point, my specialty is ensuring people don't get ripped off and if you lived near me for $50 I'd spend an hour doing some tricks to make the damage barely noticeable and then if you still insisted on having it fixed to look like new I'd order a brand new aftermarket bumper cover on Ebay with matching paint for $340 and charge you $50 to install it.

Meanwhile, I bet the body shop is gonna turn this tiny ding into pretending it's super major and charge you up near $2K and what's your deductible $500 or $1000, or more?

Then over the next decade or longer what's the hit from higher monthly insurance rates? Add all this up and decide not to spend it and you'd have enough to get a used Gen4 engine swap so you won't have a blown head gasket and bad piston rings which is unavoidable on gen3 engines once you get near 200K miles.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Free way blaster before egr cleaning?!

8. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I involved the insurance company because I paid for no-fault insurance. My insurance rates won't go up even if I am at fault, but I won't be able switch insurance companies for 5 years. To my benefit, I am completely not at fault, so it really doesn't matter. I also bought worry-free insurance, so I get a free rental car when the car is being fixed. I took plenty of photos to prove fault. I also don't have to deal with the disgruntled other party. No need to harass or call them regarding payment.

A long time ago, I also read about the liability of going off-the-books instead of insurance. By settling privately, you waive all insurance coverage/rights that you paid for. You are basically on the hook for anything that goes wrong that is related to the accident. For example, if one of the passengers suddenly says they whiplash (you then are personally liable). Another example, is if you get the car repaired and there is a dispute over the bill. Another possibility is that the other party suddenly pretends the accident didn't happen. Your only course is to take them to civil court yourself and prove they were in the accident.

You can't suddenly go private settlement and then claim insurance when things go wrong. There is a few day time limit to file with insurance. The laws are designed for insurance. You can't waive your insurance contract and then claim it again later.

I am not at fault. Even if I went private settlement, I won't get any profit in the end. The car will still get repaired, but the offender will simply pay the bill. I am not at fault, so my insurance won't go up. You can see why I went insurance. The downside I see is the accident record on car ownership.

Montgomery likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Replacing all this plastic, for a minor, localized imperfection, is waste of resources and labour. Heck you could do nothing and the world would keep turning.

IMG_1174.jpeg

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Body shop estimate is $1600 CAD. OEM bumper cover, but aftermarket grill with foglamps.

Most of that is labour to repaint and blend. The grill will have to painted black and glossy coat as it doesn't come painted.

Again, I will benefit in the end as I no longer have a bumper with paint chips from highway debris. If they repaint the hood to blend, I will get rid of some paint chips on the hood. The replacement is to my benefit even though it probably can be fixed with some bondo, sanding and paint.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm surprised your insurance company isn't going after the other, at fault, driver's insurance company to foot the bill. That's how it's always been done in my experience.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is very likely my insurance will pursue repayment from the other driver's insurance. I believe insurance pays you out of pocket first while they try to get reimbursement.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly... I would of gotten some cash from the person who caused the accident and if they said no I'd go after their insurance for a check and then when people noticed the trivial damage on the front of the car I'd tell them how many hundreds of dollars I got for it...

But I get it. Canadians are way too nice, obedient and polite to a fault.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually my father once drove a Honda Accord. A Chinese lady hit him in the rear. She offered him $500 and he took it. No questions asked.

2 years later, the whole rear bumper fell off. It was not fun when my brother (his son) drove the car and the bumper fell off suddenly on the highway. The bumper retaining portion was sheared off. I don't know what it was repaired for, but it was definitely above $1k.

My family learned our lesson by going private settlements.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... No one on here would ever recommend not inspecting the damage and ignoring the need to make repair decisions after an accident.

As in, PriusChat is mostly focused on DIY repairs and DIY diagnosis...

If myself and others on here were your father, we'd take that $500 and then inspect the damage when we got home, then went to the wrecking yard and pulled a replacement rear bumper or just the mounts that would probably cost $20. Then take it home and put it in and enjoy spending the remaining $480 on something fun.