1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance predicament due to many mods

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Maja, Sep 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Maja

Maja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    and besides costly upgrades my 2010 gen 3 just got a salvage title. We got into a super minor accident when someone made a radical u-turn just as I was cruising down main st at 20 mph. She received major damage and her air bags went off. My dear Prius barely got a bump....just some bumper scratches. However, without even inspecting the car, her insurance company totaled my dear Prius. So I bought the car back from the company for next to nothing and even though the title says there was major damage, there isn't ANY.

I still love my car. It has many miles but also had the battery replaced 4 years ago so as long as I keep my cat in good shape I believe they (prius preferred pronoun) will last a very long time.

BUT, insurance??? How is it possible to cover the real worth and not the bluebook value....or am I dreaming of something that doesn't exist. Thank you all for reading this and imparting your valued wisdom {;-)>

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    shocked by the number of mods that were listed in the post because the subject title.

Pulse07, xliderider and Maarten28 like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The details may depend on the state, but the way I understand it, the next step after a 'salvage' title is you complete the restoration, with all the receipts showing you came by the parts honestly, invite the authorities for an inspection, and with their signoff you get the 'salvage' title converted to a 'rebuilt' title, and insurance companies like those better. At least, that's the way it works here.

If the damage was as slight as you say, the 'restoration' shouldn't be much trouble ....

They probably will consider the value to be lower by some amount than with a clean title, and Toyota is going to say they're off the hook for future recall and extended service campaigns.

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What they offer u this go round

5. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Some states (like NC) will keep the salvage title after the DMV inspection rather than change it to rebuilt. Also, that inspection is only to ensure no funny business with repair parts (such as off a stripped stolen car)...the regular state safety inspection is trusted to ensure the vehicle is deemed "safe".
    Generally, salvage/rebuilt titles do not retain their book values simply because people just won't pay it unless they don't know any better. My Insurance Co will pay book value in case of a major accident though.
    Also , recalls and other such types of actions by the manufacturer still apply and are valid, but all warranties are canceled...including the hybrid parts longer term warranty. With a newer year model, I believe this is the reason their values is less...I have driven Rebuilt/Salvage cars for the last 15+ years...for me they are a greater value for the buck. I bought my 2015 Prius in early 2017 with 24k miles (and no warranty) for $9000....and have not had a single problem in the 4 years I've driven it (almost 50k miles driven).

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Money spent on mods, upgrades and changes usually is GONE forever.........salvage or not.

Jim Swart likes this.
  7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What mods were added? I'm interested in which ones will actually increase the value of a Prius.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry...

You bought the car for "next to nothing" from an insurance company, and thus THEIR estimation of the real-world value of the car IS...... ;)
    Those guys and gals aren't stupid.....and they already paid for the car ONCE...and they all use a common database, which is why they no longer ask embarrassing questions about how many wrecks you've had or tickets are on your record.
    Me too.
    My guess is "not many."
    I always look at a heavily modified car as being worth LESS than a clean, well maintained, stocker....but that's just ME.
    EVEN presuming that the mods were correctly installed, and properly designed for the car, and even IF they do not negatively impact the looks or the performance of the car, I always "presume" that a car with a bunch of performance mods was ridden hard and put up wet, and a car with purely "aesthetic" mods may or may not have been owned by someone who was enthusiastic about modifying the car and perhaps not so much about maintaining it.

I know that in most cases this is not true, and I will stipulate that in your case it's absolutely NOT true, but putting a "for sale" sign on a car with a salvage title is sort of like putting an add on a dating site and stating that you had a "social disease".....BUT...you're all better NOW.
    Car mods are like the same person with ink on their body.
    Sometimes a little ink not really visible.
    Sometimes even a LOT of ink makes a positive social statement.
    Other times?
    NOT so much! :unsure:

I simply don't make those kinda long-term bets with MY money.
    I would theoretically buy a car with a salvage title BUT....ONLY if it's price adjusted.....and dealers can read Carfax reports too.
    In fact....they usually have a subscription to the service.

Also...your car is more than 10 years old....which means that it's current real-world street value based on Kelly Blue book values for your zip code WOULD BE about $7,000 if it were in exceptionally good shape, which yours is NOT in, because it got totaled in an accident.

For the kbb estimate I presumed White, which is the most expensive color, and 150,000 miles which is the industry average, even though yours "probably" has more miles on it than that, otherwise the battery would have been covered under the CARB warranty.....pre wreck.

So....
    IF you can find an insurance company to cover the car for comp and collision (and its catalytic converter.....in the epicenter of cat-napping!) on a salvage title, they're only going to use the standard guide to estimate the ACV (actual cash value) of the car and not the replacement value.
    Usually?
    ACV for a salvaged vehicle is 50% of the low end of the KBB value.

SO....
    Your best bet is to drive the car into the ground, and then sell off any of the mod items that are worth anything before you have the car junked.
    Second best bet would be to stick a "for sale" sign on the car and see what people offer you for it.

You'll have to disclose that it's been totaled in an accident, but if the car is a work of art, somebody may value it more highly than the insurance industry - which, as previously stated, has already bought the car once.

#8 ETC(SS), Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    douglasjre likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, yeah, I skimmed over that the first time. Although I'm not there now, I grew up in Michigan, where auto insurance is no-fault, and your interactions are with your insurance company, the one you selected and chose to do business with.

So it would probably still rub me the wrong way a bit to have J. Random Other Driver's insurance company telling me what my car is worth. :mad:

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    go to kbb and select the Prius, check the mod upgrades section, then check the boxes for the upgraded listed and get the total value last

11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In most cases, mods decrease the value of the vehicle, not increase it. It would be rare for a mod to add value. I tend to avoid cars that have any mods done to it that can't easily be put back to stock. I have zero confidence in owners doing quality modifications to their vehicles and expect trouble down the line if I purchase it.

Airbags going off on a 2010 model would be an automatic salvage title even if it's a minor fender bender. What you do now is buy liability only coverage as your insurance company is going to value the vehicle as the "next to nothing" you bought off them if you get into another accident. There will be no point to full coverage. Interestingly, if you are involved in another not-at-fault accident, you could be paid the blue book value again for the vehicle by the other driver. Ask me how I know. :p

Edit: Misread op. No idea, why the vehicle is salvaged then.

#11 mmmodem, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Pulse07 and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I read the OP too fast the first time myself. The airbags went off in the other driver's car.

The other driver's insurance company then helpfully decided that a 2010 Prius with bumper scratches is a total loss.

mmmodem likes this.
  13. Maja

Maja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    wow...good news! I've never heard of a restoration title...can't wait to check if we have it in CA. thanks

14. Maja

Maja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is all such good information. For the first time ever I do only have liability because I guess I knew the answer to my question. The other guys insurance just flat out totalled it by looking at the age and the miles. They valued it at 14 something 2 years ago which surprised me and so buying it back for 2000. and knowing that it was only totaled on paper made it worth it for me to keep. And the mods are tires, rims, radio, trim kit, OEM fog lights, new leather seats...I mean it is very pretty. I just got the rear light covers in grey...gorgeous! And I am very good with maitenence especially since becoming so interested in this site. I never really loved a car before. Husband who passed away was the car guy. He and his dad could really find some great cars and then completely fix every little imperfection. His dad's business was an auto body shop back east in Brooklyn (many crazy stories that I can never tell). So I guess i caught the bug but didn't know it until Storm....the first car Ive ever really taken care of myself. So i will just drive and be happy until...well, next year my daughter turns 16 so it could be hers soon. I wonder how many miles we can go? Thank you all for your replys!

15. Maja

Maja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I
    Thank you....this is not my first. I had a Mitsubishi Diamante that loved that we bought at an auction. Where did you find a 2017 with 24k miles? Do you have a dealers license? I miss having that ability.

sgb_pa likes this.
  16. Maja

Maja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    good to know

17. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not have a dealer's license. I found it on Craigslist where I found everything else practically that I own, lol. This was in 2017 when I bought it, the car is a 2015. The car was 2 years old and salvaged with a front left collision. The car is not perfect. It is trouble free and dependable and that's all I wanted. It looks fine, body shop bought it from the auction and repaired it and I got it from them. I have driven it about 50k miles in 4 years...no issues but a 12v battery. I change the oil and filter, and I changed the trans fluid this spring. And tires. Thats all.

Maja likes this.