1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance Question.....

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by tanner9868, Apr 20, 2017.

1. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe I already know the answer, but the Prius Prime is still classified as a hybrid right? For some unknown reason my insurance company that I've had for over 25 years claims the Prime is classified an "all-electric vehicle". And since they don't insure "all electric vehicles", they won't insure it, or my household! Very confusing.

I just ordered a "Prime" and if I can't get this straightened out, I am going to be scrambling to change all my insurance products. Luckily I found this out before it arrives...

Thanks ....

2. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, there is a backwards facing insurance company. No problem there with all the insurance companies that will want your business, unless you have a bad record. My insurance actually went down because of all the new safety features. Insurance companies love the radar.

Metalmanstan likes this.
  3. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just don't understand why they classify it as "all electric" when it obviously has a gas motor. The company has been FANTASTIC till this point. Never an accident or ticket, so that isn't the problem. I insisted on talking to an underwriter for the company. he claims they are scrambling to look at the problem. I'm not going to chance it though. I am having my agent price up other companies now, but still a huge pain in the duppa!!!

Lostinthedark likes this.
  4. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been wondering how states are classifying the Prime in regards to gas taxes? Some states charge more for electric cars versus a hybrid car. My state is considering a tax for electric and hybrid cars but hasn't passed yet. Of course, I'm for the lesser tax.

#1 in Easley,SC

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your insurance company is mistaken. The Prime is a PHEV hybrid. Since the Prime is relatively new, the companies may not have the most up-to-date information regarding the classification for the vehicle. By the time your new Prime arrives, the company may have newer data that correctly indicates that the Prime is a PHEV and extend you coverage. However, if they still insist that it is EV, be prepared to move to a new company.

Do you mind telling us what company balking at insuring the Prime?

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your agent is too lazy or inefficient to look into this more thoroughly then perhaps it's time to see about some place like USAA (if you qualify) or even the lizard. After all.....an agent that cannot be bothered to properly do their job when the policy is written will probably be equally inefficient and/or lazy if GOD forbid you actually need them for a claim!

This is 2017.
    A 30-second search with the Googles revealed that the Prime is a PHEV.....or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, which are relatively new to the automotive world but they HAVE been out since 2011. There are literally a million of them out there.

Insurance companies write policies for Primes all the time.
    Hire one.

I've been a member of USAA for quite some time now, and they just about lead the pack for customer satisfaction......BUT......like other products (cable TV, cell phones, etc....) you really are not best served by sticking with one underwriter for decades on end because insurance companies usually offer their best pricing for their newest members.
    Progressive, for example, has a rep for their rates being.......progressively higher year over year regardless of the customer's driving record or credit rating (Unless you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California, where the practice has been banned.)

Good Luck!

tanner9868 likes this.
  7. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    They are most likely just not aware what the car is and have it classified incorrectly. I'd be patient. They will sort it out if they want to keep a paying customer, which most do want to keep.

tanner9868 likes this.
  8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Weird! On to of all that, why wouldn't they insure EVs?

iPhone ? Pro

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, thanks for all the help and support!

My insurance company is 'Preferred Mutual" And believe me I check prices every couple of years. but they always win out on the complete package cost. They took the vin # and said it came up as an "all electric" vehicle. They are supposedly checking with Toyota??? So hopefully someone straightens this out. But if not.......

I am taking some of your insurance company suggestions and will definitely check them all out!

Thank-you again

10. Swauger

Swauger Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Went from the first PIP (base model) to the Prime Advanced and my insurance dropped. Not complaining but I thought it would cost more with all of the bells and whistles that it has.

11. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Had no problem with my insurance company (State Farm). Very odd that a place you have been doing business with for so long won't work with you.

12. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is strange, all insurance company has standard vehicle classification. Once VIN # is input into computer system, it automatically determines which vehicle classification and insurance price. In my case, my auto insurance company took 20 min to add my prime into existing auto insurance

13. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well supposedly I was the 1st to try and insure a Prime thru them, and they had bad info on it being all electric. I guess it caused a lot of commotion there. Bottom line is they are going to insure it for $100 more a year than my 2015 Prius, so at least I got that straightened out. But according to my agent most insurances haven't adjusted to all the new safety features, that is why it is going up?!?!

Guess its time to see what else is out there as far as insurances go!

Bob Comer likes this.
  14. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My insurance company said it would be $120 more for 6 months over my 2010 Prius.

15. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I pay approximately $100 less than my 2015 Prius v

16. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I was quoted 120 more per year for a prime vs a 2013 PiP.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wonder how they would have reported a Chevrolet Volt. Or a 2012 Plug-in Prius. Or any of the other plug-in hybrids.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    On the one hand, I could see why they might have a concern if it was 2012.
    I wonder what the true cost to insure is?
    What I mean is, is there data saying plug-ins cost more to insure, or are they just being old fashioned.

19. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My feelings exactly! But they were very firm on not insuring an all electric vehicle.

20. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the Prime, Allstate wants $38 more per 6 mos. over my current 2010 Gen3. Obviously, they think the Prime is just like any other car/hybrid.