1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance rates

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Iceman123, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was wondering if anybody has re-upped their insurance policy in the last month or two and saw any an increase re-insuring their cars from their same insurance companies due to the flack Toyota is getting ?

I hope that we don't have to fork over our saved $ from our mpg to nervous insurance companies!

2. nurseouiser

nurseouiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius. My insurance is on a 6 month plan that expires the end of this month. I was paying $78/month. I've had no accidents, claims or tickets. My monthly premium increased with the renewal beginning 4/1/10 to $86/month. It appears that it was a normal increase and not anything to do with the current Toyota issues.

3. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Insurance in the USA is cheap anyway compared to here. But no I havn't found any increase in policy based on some quotes I researched.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

That's a rather generalised statement!

I think you will find that insurance differs in different areas of the US as it does here. Someone in London will be paying a heck of a lot and someone in the middle of Scotland will pay not much at all.

I only pay £1200 ($1800) a year for full comprehensive cover as a taxi with a £300 ($450) excess/deductable. I'm sure there are some on here in the US who pay much more as a private policy let alone a commercial one like mine.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine went up (starting 3/15) by about $17 / 6 months. But when I went to insure it in July, they didn't have a good idea what to charge because it was a new model.

6. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On july 2010, I'll monthly pay about 120 € for a full cover.
    My car is covered by Toyota insurance.

7. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True very generalised but I believe they are cheaper. If I for example buy insurance here for £800 full comp I am sure I can get it cheaper in the USA. Maybe I should say London? I don't know how much they are paying in Scotland! :)

8. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My insurance premium actually went down when the policy renewed itself at the end of last month. It probably had more to do with the good driver discount kicking in again, I had a not-my-fault traffic collision 3 years ago that raised my premiums.

I got my Prius too last month and difference between it and the car it replaced (A 2010 Kia Soul) was only a $30 increase for six months. Probably had more to do with the Prius having a significantly higher market value than the Kia.