1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance??

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Tango23, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have comp/collision, 60/30K, 100K liability, glass, uninsured/underinsured, plus something that gives me most of the "incidental" coverage that the Toyota Extended insurance does... fob replacement, tow truck, motel coverage, etc. Oh, and a totalled Prius = a replacement Prius.

Our insurance agent assures us that we are well covered.

2. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Coverage is a relative thing depending on what one runs into. I often wondered if the dirty little secret that insurance agents don't want us to know is it's minimal extra money to maximize your coverage. Where they would let us we maxed it. Bodily injury to 300k/300k, property damage to 200k, under/uninsured to 100k/300k. Made our comprehensive deductibles 1k. Full glass coverage. Also good to have an umbrella plan to protect one's home equity, savings, etc. We still need to do that.

3. blurryvision

blurryvision New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 04 Pilot that is insured for business, and a 08 pkg#6 Prius.
    After being bent over by Allstate for 18yrs I switched to a broker out of Peoria, AZ. Berwick Himes Insurance - 15256 N 75th Ave. Peoria, AZ 85381.

I Pay $455 a Year for the Prius, and $539 Year for the Pilot
    through Houston General. Neighbor has them and had to file a stolen vehicle claim and they were just as good as Allstate in customer support.

100/300k for bodily, property, uninsured, underinsured.
    $250 deductable

Now they base insurance rates on a few things.
    1. credit score
    2. driving record
    3. multiple car discount
    4. Zip code you live in

I hope this helps some people out.

4. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Guess I'm a luck retired Air Force, I have USAA and pay $508 every six months. We have no fault insurance in Florida so our premiums tend to be higher to cover those individual's who don't insure or under-insure.

5. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're right, price is meaningless without a listing of what you are buying and I left out the coverage I purchased:

Bodily Injury: $250k pp / $500k pa
    Property damage: $100k pa
    Uninsured motorist bodily injury: $250k pp / $500k pa
    Underinsured motorist bodily injury: $250k pp / $500k pa
    medical payments: $5k pp
    Comprehensive: $500 deductible
    Collision: $500 deductible
    full glass
    pa = per accident pp = per person

These days I think it's a good idea to have a $1M umbrella policy covering auto and home.

Next time I renew I'm definately asking about the full replacement coverage (not depreciated value coverage) in the event the car is totaled.

6. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did an online quote request for both auto and home insurance. Allstate, State Farm, Farmers, and AIG are expensive. Liberty Mutual was about 20 to 25% lower. And you gotta love those insurance sales people that call to give a quote but first want to know what you're paying now. Gee I can't recall. :)

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, Allstate was my insurer for 20 years.

Notwithstanding my long term relationship with Allstate, when I got my Prius GEICO's premium was about 45% less than Allstate's.

When I went to Allstate to see if they could match GEICO's premium, Allstate could not even come close.

8. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As with most, we bundle our home and auto. Been with AIG for 3 or so years. And they were reasonably good when we started with them. Since then they've been increasing steadily. This year was ridiculous with a 37% increase in home and 25% in auto. One insurer I talked to said their company was aware of AIG's premium increases. Probably getting alot of business. I think AIG is announcing earnings at the market close today.

9. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I see why they cranked our rates up... AIG reported a nearly $8 billion loss in the first quarter. They lost big in the mortgage credit mess.