1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake cleaning using Senfineco

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by abubin, Aug 1, 2021.

1. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was exploring alternatives to Seafoam and came across this product from Germany. It is called Senfineco Petrol Intake Cleaner.

I like that it have some sort of injection kit included that can regulate the amount of the cleaner to disperse at a time.

I already bought the item. Just wondering where is the best place to insert the cleaner. I have 2 location in mind, first is through the PCV since I have a catch can installed which make it accessible for the injection. Second would be through the vertical throttle body hose.

Appreciate if anyone can think of a better insertion point or comment on which of the two is better.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Neither. Sometimes more harm is done than good.
    What exactly do you hope to accomplish with this operation ?

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The video is worth a watch.

Product literally gives your vehicle an Intravenous complete with drip!

I would not do it to any of my cars

4. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would like to have some maintenance cleaning on the pistons and other engine parts. I know it won't do any miracle but my objective is to do some cleaning before things get worse.

5. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just like doing seafoam. Nothing like it's never done by anyone before. I was just want to try this instead of using seafaom.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is not NECESSARY to "clean" internal engine parts under normal circumstances.
    Sometimes efforts like that loosens enough sludge that it clogs oil passages and quickly ruins the engine.

But it sounds to me like you have your mind made up already and are now obsessed with cleaning your engine out.
    If you MUST do that, get a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and use that according to the directions on the can.
    At least it is oil and won't do any damage.......if used correctly.

P.S. Seafoam is a combination of several light duty solvents and solvents should NEVER be mixed with your engine oil for more than a few minutes. It will thin the oil and can strip the oil film from critical parts and cause damage.

It sounds to me like you have fallen for marketing hype (lies) and that is not good for your health.......or for the health of your car either.

7. Jim Swart

Jim Swart Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't think I'd have the patience to run the engine at 1500 rpm for 30-45 minutes as the instructions call for. From the video I suspect the primary benefit is that it will clean up the valve stems. It's not suggesting that it will clean out any build up before that point so where you tap into the incoming air delivery shouldn't matter.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Last time I had my intake manifold off (around 150,000 miles) I looked in at the valve stems, and they looked nice.

It's easy to look with the manifold off, and taking the manifold off isn't much work, and might be worthwhile now and then anyway, to check on its four EGR passages that don't always clog at the same rate.

#8 ChapmanF, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Mendel Leisk and xliderider like this.
  9. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is what I am planning to do. Open up the intake manifold to take videos on before and after comparison.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think these spray can cleaning with the manifold on the car are that effective; much more thorough cleaning can be achieved by full removal, cleaning out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Clean the throttle body thoroughly at the same time, with carb cleaner. Various diameter brushes are handy. I've also employed a grabber tool with a bit of rag in the jaws.

As mentioned by @ChapmanF , the small EGR passages (one per port) deserve special attention. I used a brush designed for cleaning steel drinking straws for that, nice long/skinny brush.

If you follow the EGR link in my signature, there's attachments, one of which shows intake manifold info, torque values and the like. Also, links to @NutzAboutBolts video on cleaning the intake. Do keep in mind, when removing the intake you do NOT need to disconnect coolant lines from the throttle body; they have enough play that you can just tie it off, out of the way..

A 38" or even 1/4" drive torque wrench will come in handy, for some of the lower torque values, throttle body hold-down bolts/nuts in particular.

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Priessure) sensor (just below throttle body) you could spritz with something like MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaner.

The MAF sensor is tucked round back of the air intake, just downstream from air filter box IIRC. FWIW that sensor stays pretty clean, and I'd only spray it (with MAF sensor cleaner) IF it was starting to look dusty/dirty.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose if I had looked in and they hadn't looked nice, I might just have grabbed a rag and cleaned them.

It looked like the normal gasoline additive packages were doing the job: there was a thin layer of carbon on the inside surfaces of the intake ports, from right at the intake manifold junction just back to where the fuel injectors are. Everything that was downstream of the fuel injectors was clean.

12. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advise.

I have updated my youtube channel in my signature. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have looked in the pistons and it sure looks dirty. I mean Prius gen3 are known to have issue with it's piston rings. I am just trying to do the cleaning without taking the engine block apart.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The video says you can insert at the crankcase ventilation hose. This will bypass the intake manifold but not the throttle body.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should be the other way ‘round: bypasses throttle body but not intake?

It’s NOT going to touch the Exhaust Gas Recirculation passages, for sure.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You’re right, PCV is after the throttle body. It’s also after the intake manifold.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The PCV air flow enters the intake manifold virtually directly below the throttle body; that doesn’t seem after.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the manifold was the plastic part.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV