1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake manifold cleaning and found this

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasmith, Mar 7, 2022.

1. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's been a rattling coming from the engine lately, so I figured it was time for a deep cleaning. 2014 car is at 391k. The rattle is coming from the left side of the engine, and when I took off the intake manifold, the left most intake has dry soot, while the other three have an oily gunk, which what I've always seen before. Any ideas why the left one would have dry soot?

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Post a pic of the intake manifold?

3. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Attached photo of the IM. The port on the right side is the matching one for the Intake's left side. The inside of the IM looks the same across all four openings, so not sure why on the engine side it's different. Well, besides, game over man.

Attached Files:

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2022-3-7_6-57-21.png
    Those are EGR passages. Look to be completely bunged up with carbon. See first link in my signature.

Is 391K miles or kilometers? You don't disclose your location.

5. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, those will be cleaned as part of the regular service. Just worried about why one of the engine Intake's is a dry soot instead of an oily gunk, like the other three. The rattle has been in same location as the dry intake valve.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure. Any misfire codes, say P0301?

7. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely misfires. Not sure about the code, didn't get it checked because I've seen so many misfires over the years, I am pretty sure that's what the engine light is for.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i think that dry junk is a result of the intake manifold port being clogged. the little hole on the IM is for the egr gas, which is basically oil mist air, which gets hopefully pushed back into the burning process. If that hole is clogged, then no more mist will come through. So the build up probably occurred in stages:

Stage1: the little hole was open, oil mist air was flowing and mixing with the intake air. gradually, oil deposits clung to the intake port metal and built up.
    Stage2: over time, after a lot of build-up on the intake metal, the little hole became clogged complete, preventing any more mist coming through.
    Stage3: normal intake air flowed through the big opening in the clogged port tube. this gradually sucked the "wet" oil out of the mass, and made it hard.

When i cleaned my IM, i very carefully scrapped that crud of the intake ports on the block, while running a shopvac, very close to the scraper. I also reached up in the block-side intake ports with a rag and some throttle body cleaner. the tip of the fuel injectors is in there and i tried to wipe them very good with throttle body cleaner, in case they were coated with gunk too.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "oil mist air" is more appropriate description of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) vapours? The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) would more hot/dry gas, a little sooty.

10. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yes, you are correct Mendel! Sorry for misleading the group here! I wasn't thinking clearly and got confused by the back and forth of which port on the block and manifold was clogged. So the little ports are indeed from the EGR gas; and the big port is a combination of the intake gas and pcv oil-mist gas. The PCV gas comes in at a lower port on the intake manifold.

After having said that, if the dry-debris engine port is the one with the clogged EGR port, which I think it is from the conversation, that would shed a different light on this problem, indicating the EGR gas, which should be dry and hot as you mention, seems to play a part in keeping the oily gunk on the engine side, oily and gooey, rather than dry it out. hmmmm!?!?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cooled EGR gas might be warm and damp---with condensed water, preferably not oil. Water is an inevitable product of combustion of a hydrocarbon fuel. That's why cool tailpipes sometimes drip water.

wr69 likes this.
  12. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After the full cleaning, there seems to be no change in the rattle from the engine. I haven't taken off the IM to check the oiliness of the ports, but i have a feeling it's related to the rattle. I'm guessing something is wrong with that piston, causing excess heat, and thus drying out the IM port.

This car is nearing the end. 394K miles, I might make it to 400. I have to put in two quarts of oil every week or two.

As a side note, I did end up replacing the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid for the oil, which is located right on the top left of the engine. I was hoping it might make some improvement of something, but I haven't noticed anything.

I think i'll replace the thermostat the next time i do work on it, as i have put in a few bottles of K-Seal over the years, and the thermostat could be getting gunked up. Not that i expect it to fix the rattle in the engine.

mjoo likes this.
  13. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After the full cleaning, there seems to be no change in the rattle from the engine. I haven't taken off the IM to check the oiliness of the ports, but i have a feeling it's related to the rattle. I'm guessing something is wrong with that piston, causing excess heat, and thus drying out the IM port.

This car is nearing the end. 394K miles, I might make it to 400. I have to put in two quarts of oil every week or two.

As a side note, I did end up replacing the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid for the oil, which is located right on the top left of the engine. I was hoping it might make some improvement of something, but I haven't noticed anything.

I think i'll replace the thermostat the next time i do work on it, as i have put in a few bottles of K-Seal over the years, and the thermostat could be getting gunked up. Not that i expect it to fix the rattle in the engine.

14. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A theory is there are a couple of things going on:
    1. The Atkinson Cycle engine on the Prius keeps the intake valves open briefly during the compression stroke to lessen the compressed air. On a worn-in engine (burning oil) this can spit some oil into the intake manifold.
    2. The EGR port closest to cylinder #1 clogs first due to it having a longer travel (furthest from EGR source). This plugs up #1 cylinder first causing a lean condition in cyl #1. A lean condition (without moist 20% EGR content) = hot and dry combustion which burns the oil regurgitated into the cylinder causing a "dry" carbon deposit.

That's impressive mileage for an engine without EGR maintenance. Especially one living on K-Seal. Seems like lots of highway mileage attributed to the long run. I bet @danlatu would love to see the innards of this thing.

#14 mjoo, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    'Lean' might not be the word you meant here. The key idea of EGR is that it's a mix of gases without much usable oxygen, so it can be added to the intake charge without changing how lean or rich the mixture is.

If you try to dilute the charge by letting more air in, that leans out the mixture. Or in the other direction, the mix goes too rich. But if you take a proper mixture of fuel and air and then let in some inert exhaust gas, you have still a proper mixture, just less of it, and a bit slower-burning.

16. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To clarify, I've been going IM and EGR cleaning every 40k-60k miles since around the 212k mile mark.

#16 oasmith, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    mjoo likes this.
  17. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you've gotten good at it. How many hours do you have it down to?

oasmith likes this.
  18. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure who suggested it, maybe @Mendel Leisk , but I use oven cleaner and a power washer to blast the shit out of the EGR cooler. It went pretty well this past time. I even used the power washer on the IM. I usually give myself a couple days to work on it, mainly because I always add on other work to do to it, not just the IM and EGR cleaning. But yeah, it's nice to not need to watch the Nutz videos anymore.

Just to circle back to the original issue, I did notice that a lot of the oil loss was coming from the same side of the engine as the rattling piston, and the "dry" IM port. Not sure if it's related.

I also added a couple photos of the EGR cooler before the cleaning. After the cleaning, I could see right through it.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk and mjoo like this.
  19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oven Cleaner is my idea... It works great! I believe RayTheEagle suggested the power washer,
    which now I do also.
    It sure makes it go by faster! I have a spare on I installed last Tuesday.
    66,000 miles on the spare one, that is clogged. This is the 3rd time I've done it and the cooler
    is completely clogged, can't see any light through it.

Mendel Leisk and oasmith like this.
  20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Egr clean did not solve the rattle or misfire. What could it be?

prius busted Head Gasket.jpg

PriusGuy32, Mr. F and Mendel Leisk like this.