1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake manifold cleaning and found this

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasmith, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Dealing with the instigator is always useful, but when the damage is done, that’s your primary task.

@oasmith : excellent pictures; if Toyota engineers are counting on the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system to keep the engine in a stable zone, that carbon-clogged morass speaks volumes.

2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is the EGR valve stuck open?

You could do a piston soak which should help lower oil consumption by freeing up the oil control rings. But if the cylinders are scored you'll always have some oil burning.

3. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, an update, and not a good one.

Driving home today I noticed a significant drop in horsepower, the uphills were laborious for the car. During these struggles, the car engine area was making a whirring sound, similar to if I had the cabin fan on full blast. I did not see the overheating light come on, and the check engine light has been on for a long time. I managed to make it home, and took a look in the Oil Catch Can, and see attached photo. Filled with milky gunk. I had hoped the recent treatment of head gasket sealant (this time I tried Bar's) would fix that issue, but it is much worse. I fear the car has not much more to give. I could try to do a coolant flush again and do another head gasket treatment, but not confident in that. Any suggestions?

I should probably look for a replacement car very soon.

Attached Files:

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a bad headgasket, possibly a warped head.
    You already wasted time and money on a sealer that doesn't work. WHY would you try it again???
    Time for a new head gasket, and have the head checked to see if it's warped. Hopefully, no bent rods.

5. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know I've had a head gasket leak for probably 150,000 miles now, and have managed to keep it at bay with K-Seal. I was hoping Bar's would put an end to it. The reason I would try K-Seal again is because it's a lot cheaper and quicker than a head gasket replacement. Like, by far. It's probably too late, though. The rattle and the whirring are probably signs of permanent damage to the head/piston.

I have never done a head gasket replacement, and would consider the EGR cleaning a difficulty level of 6/10. What would a head gasket replacement be considered? I have rather simple garage tools.

This is a bummer, man.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll need a torque wrench. And other tools. And will need to take your time.
    It depends on you skill level and if you're willing to do the work.
    You may get a newer hopefully engine and just replace the whole thing....

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would think its far too late for a head gasket after 150,000 miles of hg leaking on a 400,000 mile engine. Lost power is a sign of a bent piston rod which will soon be a broken rod. If you want to keep the car, a replacement engine is the way to go. In some areas you can have a rebuilt engine installed for $3500. Just think, no more two quarts of oil a week, no more severe rattling on engine starts, increased mpg and much better reliability. For the price of a down payment on another used car.

oasmith and mjoo like this.
  8. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, yeah, I guess I'm looking at getting replacement engine. There was something improved in the 2015 pistons, right?

I'll have a shop do it, since I don't feel up to the task.

I got 394,500ish miles out of this engine, so that's pretty good. I hope to scavenge parts off of it when it gets swapped out, since I "recently" replaced the water pump, EGR Valve, and Variable Valve Timing Solenoid for the oil, and put in the Oil Catch Can. The spark plugs are also not too bad. And, if I can scavenge the EGR cooler and Intake Manifold, I can have them all cleaned up and ready to go as a spare to swap out.

I'd rather not give up on the car since I have done all this work on it, including all four wheel bearings and shocks.

I'm kinda bummed that the odometer (going forward) will have a mental asterisk next to it.

9. Half Vast

Half Vast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That engine gave you almost 400,000 miles. I'd consider that pretty impressive and it owes you nothing. You've gone well beyond in mileage than most cars on the road. If you truly like the car, then you're on the right track with a replacement engine. Good luck!

oasmith likes this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes different pistons and rings. But when I suggested rebuilt, that means new parts, rings, bearings, gaskets, eg rebuilt, not simply used. Plus there is no easy way to tell what year the used engine came from since the jdm engines that are most available have no vins. Most of the US origin used engines have their vins removed. Plus the 2015s are scarce since they did not sell as many and the head gasket failures have been going on for years now.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Consider a 4th gen engine? The go-to thread, a video saga by @Ragingfit, is pinned at top of Prius v accessories and mod's forum. Odd location, technically sensible, but...

12. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know if the 4th Gen would be compatible with the 3rd. If so, then yeah, that would be best.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well semi-compatible. The aforementioned video series seems the best approach, retains 3rd gen EGR components, intake/exhaust and throttle body. Some coolant hose rerouting is needed, and some other minor mods.

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From reading on Prius Chat, my understanding is the block are interchangable.
    Without modification. Or maybe something about he water pump? The 3rd Generation
    head will fit on the 4th Generation block.
    So If the head isn't damaged/warped, you can just swop the blocks. And the 4th Generation
    block is updated along with the pistons and rings....

Right or wrong?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s pretty much what @cnc97 did, used the block of a 4th gen salvage engine, with 3rd gen head. The damper at junction with transaxle requires swapping over from 3rd gen IIRC. More info on the latter in @Ragingfit video series (pinned in Prius v mods forum).

#35 Mendel Leisk, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    nate358 and ASRDogman like this.
  16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's right! I forgot about that part. I knew there was something. It's larger on the 4th I think.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found one local shop that would replace the engine, and the only one they could fine is one with 150k miles on it. $3800 total. I guess I'll go with it, considering I've done lots of previous work on the car. I'll be replacing the thermostat since it might be gunked up.

Any ideas on how to do a heater core and radiator flush, using some sort of high flow system, instead of just gravity? I was thinking I should clean out or even replace these before the motor gets installed.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is due to stop-leak product? A 50/50 mix of water/white vinegar might dissolve it. If you can extract a bit of the goop do a test.

19. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is way better

20. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For that long of head gasket leak, the catastrophic failure is comming, dying catalytic converter, heatercore, radiator, water pump and entire cooling system is full of gummy sealers.

I would sell it as parts instead of putting more money on it. Unless you live in FL or states that has no MOT and emission test.

Noahdoge and oasmith like this.