1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake manifold cleaning and found this

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasmith, Mar 7, 2022.

1. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the water pump about 6 months ago, and plan to do a heater core and radiator flushing, hoping to dissolve the head gasket sealer out. The catalytic converter is news to me - a head gasket leak can ruin it?

With my job paying me per mile, I could probably recoup my losses after about 4-5 months. I'm just hoping nothing else fails before then.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Possibly someone was thinking of the Exhaust Heat Recirculation System (which is not the EGR, and is also not a catalytic converter).

If you look at the picture, you can see that the exhaust pipe is a boa constrictor digesting four elephants:

[​IMG]

The first elephant (well, the leftmost, I guess that would be last in order of swallowing) is a catalytic converter.

The next one is also a catalytic converter. After that is the EHRS heat exchanger (seen here with a handy sign saying so), and after that is a sub muffler.

Because the EHRS exchanger is in the coolant loop (you see the hoses), it is at risk of clogging from head gasket seal products.

Foxglove likes this.
  3. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hope for the best. For catalytic converter, it really dependa on how many gallons you had use and dump it to catalytic converter. My Altima 02 catalytic converter failed at 65k miles after about 3 gallons of burned coolant. Coolant is very good in killing the Cat. Faster than oil burning.

I would keep driving it and use it as long as it works. Maintain it but do not put any expensive and unnecessary cost to make it perfect.

4. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update: the one shop in the area that would replace the engine also checked out the car in general. They said there's something wrong with the transmission (unable to fix after a couple trans fluid flushes), and the catalytic converter is giving an error (didn't specify). So add those two things to the engine issues, and this old girl is toast.

Sad ending. I've slept in this car many nights at trailheads, transported logs and granite rocks, and spent many hours working on it.

Now I need to decide if I want to get another gen3 Prius and scavenge parts out of my dead one, or move on to something else. I definitely feel like I could get another gen3 up to 300k miles again.

Thanks everyone for the help.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder what they even meant by that. A Prius hasn't got any kind of transmission you flush.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can do several drain-and-fill sessions, with a drive around the block in between. Useful if there’s contamination. Yeah I know: you get maybe 90% with each drain, much more than a conventional automatic.

@oasmith with well over 300k miles it served you well. :)

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Given the engine has 400k miles with a blown head gasket for the last 150k miles thanks to a case of sealer (maybe you should seek a sponsorship from the sealer company) and you make your living driving, I would get a newer car in the 100k mile range even if it means payments.

Absolutely do not get another 2010-2015 Prius or 2012-2017 Prius v wagon. Your luck won't repeat itself. I would look for 2016 or newer Prii hatchbacks or more reasonably an older Civic, Camry or Corolla non hybrid 4 cylinder.

oasmith likes this.
  8. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The transmission fluid in eCVT is like Differential, no torque converter that may keep some of the fluid. When you drain and refill, you replace virtually 99% of the fluid.
    That's why it does not even have a filter, just like differential or transfer case.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I doubt it's 99%; maybe 90%? Again, a multi-drain "flush" would still be warranted, say if you had a brain-fart, poured in some engine oil.

10. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It is 99% if we wait it drips overnight. ;). There is no need to worry about the old fluid. In torque converter type transmission, having some leftover of old fluid is actually beneficial. The clutch materials that is floating in the ATF helps the clutch pack engage perfectly. That's why the service manual said drain and refill not flush.

My neighbor had Suburban. The transmission was slipping after fluid change. He collected the varnishes and solid materials on the old fluid and put it back to the transmission with some old fluid in it. It worked again but not sure for how long.

ATF fluid in eCVT does 2 jobs. Cooling and lubricating and there is no need to worry about cutchpack or torque converter. Replacing 2x at once is just waste of resources and supporting Putin war. There is no benefit on overdoing it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah geez, now the gloves are off. :ROFLMAO:

oasmith and johnHRP like this.
  12. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The mechanic said he had his diagnostic scanner plugged in as he drove around and saw the RPMs were too high. He said the trans fluid was nearly black when he first drained it. Still had high RPMs after a second drain, so that's what makes him think there's something permanently wrong with the transmission.

If the sole issue was the engine, I'd replace it. But adding more issues means game over, man.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's hilarious. Prius uses a continuously-variable transmission, and runs the small four-cylinder engine at whatever RPM the car's ECUs agree on.

That mechanic might be ok for other cars; take the Prius somewhere else.

14. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Toyota WS is really dark even when you just open it. You run it for few hours in any transmission, it will turn even darker. There is no single report of transmission problems in 3rd gen Prius that are sold millions worldwide. If there is any, it is caused by accident, fire, or sabotage.

If you already fixed the head gasket and other issues in the engines, keep driving it. Check all the fluid (brake, coolant, and oil) are always at the same level. Even if you eventually have catalytic converter code, reset it with any capable OBD2 scanner every 200 miles or so. If you live in states that require no emission and MOT tests like Florida, we never care about CAT. if it died, we just ignore the check engine light from it.

15. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, these are some interesting statements. I haven't had the engine replaced yet, and had given up on the car. As far as the Catalytic, I just got my inspection sticker a month ago, so I'm good for another year.

I'm very confident the engine is junk. Lots of coolant in the OCC, rattling coming from the engine, burning through oil, and a loss of horsepower.

There have been a few things the mechanic said that were odd, but since he was the only guy in the surrounding towns that would work on a hybrid, my 2nd opinions are nill. Other than what y'all tell me on here, and (no offense), taking advice from the internet over the advice of a mechanic who's looked at it, well, that makes me also leery. But it's very likely you, PriusChat, know more than he does.

16. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Your car had finished its duty for 400k miles. Time to make it as a parts donor.
    I am not sure how hard getting 4th gen Prius or any hybrid these days with high fuel price.
    I am willing to pay 20% more than kbb price for well maintained 200k miles car. Often they are highway miles and the wear is lower than 100k miles City drive.

oasmith likes this.
  17. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just wondering the oil change cycles and oil types for a long 394k marathon

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It is not easy. If you drive minimum 30 minutes on each trip, often at 70mph cruise speed, once a year is fine. Once you do many short trips and rarely in highway speed, 6 months is a must or it will starts consuming oil and the catalytic converter takes the hit.

19. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To me, either case requires 6 month for a gen3 Prius. I.e dont drive much during winter but oil still gets dark even after 2k. These cars eco-friendly but it poisons itself with bad internal design. So needs a careful maintenance. I'm glad toyota got over all these problems with Gen4
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Dark oil does not say anything. It depends on brand and dye type. It also tell us the detergent works. It's not about color. You should use 0w-20 full synthetic like Toyota genuine oil, mobil 1, Pennzoil platinum, castrol edge, etc. You also can get extended performance oil 20 k miles rate, it's similar to longlife in EU that has higher detergent and TBN. Mobil 1 has them in cheap Walmart.
    Gen 3. has similar engine as gen 4. Its only the EGR design that need regular cleaning 75-100k miles. Most people can get 200k miles without issue. Most post online because only people that has problems. Its not that easy to find such problem in EU because they use mostly super95/midgrade E5, not regular E10 and always use "full synthetic" or group iii or iv oil, not quick lube $20. The oil alone cost minimum €45 per 5L bottle.

In conclusion, any car should have 6 months oil change interval including gen 5. to avoid oil consumption issue. European cars promote longlife interval, 2 years because it will die from any reason anyway before reaching 200k miles in general.

#60 johnHRP, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    abdullah arslan likes this.