1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake manifold cleaning and found this

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasmith, Mar 7, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Concur. It is easy to find tables giving generic torques for different bolt diameters (and if you're paying attention, also for different bolt materials, grades, and thread pitches). Toyota has even included such tables in their repair manuals, but only for use in those rare cases where a torque isn't specified for a specific bolt in its specific position.

Those tables don't take into account other factors, like different materials of bolt and receiving threads, different types of joint, domed washers, lubrication or other thread treatment, threaded inserts in composite parts, and so on and so on. That's why the specific torques shown in the manuals supersede the ones found in generic tables.

mtl likes this.
  2. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do like to use factory specific torque values especially when dealing with OLD plastic parts. They can easily break when overtightening them.
    Ask me how I know that :)? Luckly it was a cheap lesson to learn. From then after, I prefer using 5 minutes more for preparation to prevent such potential problems.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm guessing you mean 6mm bolts that have 10mm heads. That's an important distinction. Torque spec typical of 10mm bolts is much higher.

Tande, Mendel Leisk and mtl like this.
  4. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, finally I had time to do this job and was really happy with what I have found out when had everything taken off. It took cca. 4 hours, but I was really slow and carefull not to mess something up.Thank you all for your info, it was really helpfull.

The car has 146.000km/91.000miles

[​IMG]

There was just a slim oil film in the intake manifold under the throttle body and no oil on the throttle body (that golden colour is a burned residue), which was a nice sight, especially after I have watched videos with a bath of oil under it on some cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning it looked much happier :):
    [​IMG]

Despite PCV valve obviously working perfect, I have replaced it:
    [​IMG]

Intake manifold had really little black stuff on it. The small hoses were all clear :), except the cylinder 3 you can already see a small amount of black stuff. The most black stuff was on connection to EGR pipe, which was nice crusty inside although not as much as I have expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Already cleaned EGR pipe.

[​IMG]

Everything was cleaned and put back together. There was no higher idling at first start, which I expected since I did the throttle body cleaning. I will try to do the EGR and EGR cooler in the spring, but since all this was not really clogged probably also EGR is not so crusty.

I have also replaced intake manifold and throttle body gaskets. They would probably be still ok, but... Old IM gasked was noticeable harder in comparison to new fresh gasket.

[​IMG]

Today also the steering tie rod will be replaced and wheels realigned and I hope that the car will be ready for the next troubleless 100.000 km :).

We get 4.5l/100km (52.2 US mpg) of average consumption, hopefully we can get it a little lower in the future.

Links to some videos that I have used as a guidance:

upload_2022-8-3_7-34-29.gif

upload_2022-8-3_7-34-29.gif

#84 mtl, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Merkey, ASRDogman and burebista like this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great! Did you also clean the cooler?

6. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, EGR and EGR cooler will be done in the spring.

7. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    mtl engine is in Slovenia and does not consume any oil at 90k miles. Although it is a 2011 model, it still runs perfectly, with no oil consumption issue or head gasket. There may be 2 reasons. In Europe, they use Super95 Gasoline, or Midgrade AKI 89 instead of Regular AKI 87 and usually E5, not E10. Less ethanol and higher octane mean less prone to pinging/detonations that cause head gasket failure. Less carbon build-up from no oil consumption also helps, EGR passage is clean, cooler engine temperature, no hot spot from carbon build-up on the piston top.

Merkey and mtl like this.
  8. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I removed my intake manifold yesterday. Happy to report no blockage in any of the EGR ports or the tube between
    the cooler and manifold after 135K miles. Some oil under the throttle body that I soaked up with a few paper towels.
    I replaced the manifold gasket with a new one, but reused the throttle body and tube gaskets. The cooler check will have to
    wait for another time. I will continue with 5K, 0W-20 oil and filter changes (does not burn any oil between changes), top tier gas and Techron concentrate every 2K miles.

wr69, mtl and johnHRP like this.
  9. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thats great results and plan with 5k miles OCI. Techron concentrate and any additives are generally money burner if you regularly drive in highway and use top tier gas. Unfortunately Techron additives no longer contains PEA, although Cevron fuel contains high PEA like Shell and BP.
    Just keep driving regularly and cruise in highway is the best way to keep engine clean, no need for any additives. Just like eating nutritios food, no need for supplements.

#89 johnHRP, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    mtl and Merkey like this.
  10. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Additional info that I forgot to mention: the car was serviced per Toyota schedule, once a year and on average cca. 8.000 miles.
    Btw. today I have noticed on two ocasions that it did not go to EV mode although the battery was almost full. I will look into it in next few days. Maybe it has something to do with throttle body alignment.

#90 mtl, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Merkey likes this.
  11. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't bother with EV mode. HSD has the weird patterns and unpredictable how EV mode works. Besides that, as long as your effective MPG is still good over 1000 miles measurements, you are good.

mtl likes this.
  12. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn’t mean to use EV only mode via EV button, but it didn’t turn off the engine while coasting in the city with 30km/h and battery almost full. But yeah, after 5 min it turned the engine off :).
    Any info why it turns on the engine after a few seconds every time you start the car, even if the battery is full and you are just puddling along with 15km/h?

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To warm up the engine so its ready to go and to ensure reduced emissions when it is on.

mtl likes this.
  14. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thx, I thought it was connected with emissions.
    It just goes a little bit on my nerves, brcause sometimes I start at the top of the hill and instead off harnessing the battery, the ICE is running.
    Well, if it will be trouble free, I will get past that :).

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine will fast-idle the engine for a couple of minutes when I'm coasting after a hot restart, even if the coolant temperature is over 180°.

16. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I have noticed on mine that sometimes it turns and engine on for cca. 1 second when coasting/breaking.
    Well, I hope that engineers new what they were doing when they have programmed that in.