1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intalled Coastal EV Mod....not working :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ualdriver, May 20, 2011.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I purchased the Coastal EV mod last year, but finally got around to installing it yesterday (my garage finally got warm enough!). Anyway, I triple checked the correct wires, spliced, plugged it in, but not dice. It doesn't do anything.

The only thing I can figure is that the Hymotion install might be messing it up or I just got a dud unit. I spliced into the existing Hymotion wire that was taking up what was supposed to be an empty pin. I was thinking about cutting that Hymotion wire but I am not sure......

Any troubleshooting ideas?

It's too late to return the unit for another one, and I couldn't imagine trying to pull those tiny plugs off the splices in such an enclosed area anyway! I was thinking about maybe buying another Coastal unit one, cutting the existing Coastal unit off, then splicing the new unit on the existing wiring.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would definately check with hymotion, coastal and see what others with this setup say here before buying another coastal unit. havn't heard of any of them being bad.

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First things first, are you holding the cruise control long enough for it to engage? You have to hold it for ~3 seconds IIRC. Give it five to be sure. You should always get a response, be it EV mode or the three beeps telling you that EV has been denied. No response at all means that the ECU isn't even getting the signal.

Have you made absolutely sure that your crimp connectors are making good contact? I always have trouble getting those things seated the first time. They may need to be crimped-down a little harder.

A relatively simple diagnostic after the above checks would be to wire in a momentary radioshack switch (just tap into the Coastal wires) and see if it works. If so, I guess you have a bad coastal unit. If the momentary switch doesn't do it then something is probably wrong with your wiring.

4. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Brick

Yes, I made sure I hold the stalk for several seconds. I get no response no matter what I do.

This was my first foray into automotive wiring. I am pretty familiar with household wiring have wired various circuits in my house under permit, but have not played with automotive wiring. I thought this would be an easy introduction :(

Anyway, it is possible that I did not squeeze the taps hard enough. Don't get me wrong, I squeezed them hard with a pair of pliers, but I didn't squeeze as hard as I could because I was afraid I would split the wire in half or something. I had a lot of trouble getting those splices on with the room available under the dash, but I triple checked that I spliced the correct wires, but I certainly could have made bad splice(s).

As far as checking with a radio shack switch, could you give me a part number or a link to the switch and tell me exactly which Coastal wires I would tap into with the switch wires? I understand what you are trying to accomplish. If the switch doesn't work, then I have bad splices. If the switch does work, the Coastal unit is bad. I would be willing to give that a try as the Coastal wires are long and readily accessible and I think would be easy to splice.

Sorry I am a little thick with this stuff. I find it interesting and like trying this kind of stuff, but I don't know much about automotive electronics!

5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Grounding the wire from the ECU should do it, so try that as a test.

6. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am new to this stuff....still learning.....I don't know what ECU stands for nor would I know how to ground something unless I was given specific instructions on how to do it.

7. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the ECU is the box with all the wires going into it. To ground a wire means to touch it to a piece of bare metal that is somehow connected to the chassis of the car. The 12v battery is also grounded, so when you ground a wire, you complete the circuit.

Take the wire that ran to the ECU and press it firmly to a bolt or nut inside the dash that goes thru something metal. That SHOULD be a ground. Dont worry, it wont shock you.

8. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are still losing me unfortunately. I did not do any wiring that involved a box. I just spliced into wires that were plugged into a square cannon plug ( for lack of a better term ). There were also three wires involved so which one do you mean?

9. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be a wire that runs to pin 27 of the lowest grey plug on the ECU that is farthest to the right of the car. Its behind the glovebox/passanger A/C vent. If you didnt run this wire, then thats why your setup isnt working.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still think you need someone who has installed the coastal. i did it and it was easy. you're right, it was my first time and i was nervous, but i doubt you did anything wrong. you should start a new thread with hymotion in the title to see if you can attract their attention.

11. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I did when I got the kit back in November. One person told me to cut the wire coming from the Hymotion kit. The other told me to leave it in and just splice into it. I think I am going to open her up one more time, give the splices an extra little squeeze, check for a 4th time that I got the correct wires tapped, then go from there.

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK got it now. I did not realize that the thing all those grey plugs went into was called an ECU.

There already was a wire running from the Hymotion kit into pin 27. I crimped on a plug onto the wire that Coastal wanted to go into pin 27 then tapped the Hymotion wire that led to pin 27 with the Coastal unit wire that was supposed to go into pin 27.

13. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok got it. In that case, I am stumped. Sorry.

14. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks though.

15. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wire that you have tapped to the Hymotion wire, what happens when you ground that? If your connections are good, that will ground pin 27.

16. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I tried to pull the wire I spliced into the Hymotion wire from the splice in order to ground it, but with the limited area to get my hands in and the tight plug/splice connection I can't seem to get them apart without risking damaging the other wiring.

The length of wire going to the coastal unit, though, is quite long and accessible. Would it be the same thing if I spliced the wire that is the ground wire on the Coastal unit and grounded a splice? Yeah, kind of back assward but I just can't get the existing splices off.....

Someone above also mentioned putting a switch on the coastal wires and trying that...I could do that too if it was explained to me how to do that. I doubt I am going to be able to get any of those splices on the grey jack off without risking damage.

I took the panels off again today and quadruple checked the splices and the correct wires. I am almost certain that I have 3 good splices. The wire was in the metal gap of the splice and they were all firmly shut. I even gave them an extra squeeze with a pair of pliers.

Also, just for my own knowledge, what are the wires in pin 27 and the other 2 wires (purple and white/black) doing? How does this work?

17. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should leave the wire you spliced into the wire that goes to pin 27, just ground the other end.

Pin 27 is what tells the ECU you want EV mode. Grounding that pin is what the factory switch does. You could have as many splices as necessary, as long as they are good you will be fine. So anyway you can get ground to pic 27 should be enough to tell the ECU you want EV...

18. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

OK, thanks. I will try grounding that wire and see what happens. It may be a few days before I get back to you about what happens, but I will be back to seek more advice. Again, thanks for your help!

I assume that if I ground this wire with the car running I should get some sort of indication that the car wants to go into EV or denies EV, right?

Also, if I put a splice only into the other two Coastal wires (the third is the ground going to pin 27 through a splice) should I be able to measure some sort of voltage in those wires? I have one of those fancy yellow voltmeters that has a dial in front to measure all sorts of different electricity, but I only know how to set it up to read household voltage. That would tell me if I have a bad splice, right? If there was no voltage in the other 2 wires with the car running?

19. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, 1 beep is EV on, 3 beeps is EV unavailable.

I have no idea, sorry.

20. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Blown240

I do have another related question for you. Like I said earlier, the Coastal EV kit has a wire that is supposed to go into pin 27, and I spliced the Coastal EV kit into the Hymotion wire that was already there. When I did that tap, I used this type of tap from the automotive store: T-TAP 16 gauge - 14 CAL. That's OK to use, right?