1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intalled Coastal EV Mod....not working :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ualdriver, May 20, 2011.

1. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is an easy install.. why is this topic so long?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have enginer?

3. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That should be fine. As long as the wires tapped into arent too small to get spliced correctly. You MAY have to pull it off and see if it even cut the sheathing on the wires. I think the wires are like 22 gauge.

1 person likes this.
  4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the tap is made for 16 or 14 gauge wire, they won't work for 22 gauge wire. That is probably your problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No. Hymotion.

6. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmmm....well for the other 2 wires I used the taps the kit came with. For the pin 27 wire, I used a wire tap that I bought at a local automotive store, the smallest gauge I could find being 16-14 gauge wire taps. That could be my problem right there. They "looked" exactly like the ones that came in the kit....I will order the proper taps then go from there. I will let you know how it goes. It will probably take a few to several days for the taps to arrive.

7. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK Blown240, this is what I did today.

The Coastal Kit has 3 wires coming out of it. I have the appropriate 2 wires (purple and white) spliced into the 2 correct wires (purple and white/black) in the grey plug using a splice appropriate for the wire gauge (i.e. the taps and plugs that came with the kit).

I then disconnected the Coastal wire splice that was spliced into the Hymotion wire leading to pin 27. So now I have an exposed wire (wire that was spliced into Hymotion wire leading to pin 27) in my hand from the Coastal Kit and the other 2 wires appropriately spliced. I plugged the grey jack back in, turned on the car, then touched the third wire (the one that was originally spliced into the hymotion wire in pin 27) to bare metal everywhere I could find....the sheet metal of the car, bolts, a large metal structural bar that runs along the dash, and I got nothing. No beeps, nothing. I even tried pulling the cruise control stalk while touching bare metal and still nothing.

Any ideas as to what I should do next?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i was asking the fellow who asked why the thread was so long. have you aske anyone at hymotion or coastal?

9. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Coastal e-mailed me back today and said they can't provide advice because I am not installing their device as it was intended, which is true. I can't say I fault them for that answer.

I didn't e-mail anyone at Hymotion yet. I think the best advice about technical stuff like this (combining a Coastal EV device with a Hymotion battery pack) would probably be found here, anyway. When this resource dries up, I will probably try them.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point, i hope someone can help you!

11. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update.........Success!!!

OK guys who are still following along.....I was frustrated so I put the tools away for a few days to think about how I could have screwed things up. First of all, I wasn't "grounding" the way that blown240 told me to upon rereading what he said. Second, there was some conjecture that one of the taps I was using was not the proper gauge.

Well, I unplugged the 'ground' tap and went out and tracked down a tap for 18-22 gauge wire. That took a while as no one had anything smaller than the 16-14 gauge taps. I made a new tap into the wire that went into pin 27 with taps for 18-22 gauge wire, crimped a plug onto the appropriate wire of the Coastal unit, put them together and success. So what it likely was that although I used the correct (supplied) taps on the other plug wires, I had used a 16-14 gauge tap on the pin 27 wire and it wasn't cutting the insulation properly.

So for you amateurs out there like me, even if the taps "look" identical, make sure you use a properly sized tap :) Thanks to all the posters above who helped me. I owe you all a beer or two or three.....

12. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, glad it worked out. I have been out of town for a few days, thats why I couldnt get back to you.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad to hear it man!

14. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good work. Often they color the taps differently depending on what wire size they are made for.

I had a similar problem installing a phone line at my Mothers house. I was using scotchloks but they didn't properly grab on the stranded wire I was using. I ended up stripping both wires back, twisting them together and shoving them into a single hole of the scotchlok. Definately kludgey but it worked and should still hold up against the weather.

If you aren't familiar with scotchloks, they look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Great little things to join 2 or 3 phone wires together and withstand the outdoor elements.

15. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    those look like a super pain in the nice person :)

16. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Naw, just poke the wires in to the back and squeeze down on the red button with a pair of pliers. Quick and easy (assuming you are using the right size of wire).