1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Integrated garage/gate remote opener

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jordanr, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This small project started because I wanted the homelink rearview mirror, but I did not want to spend $100+. Actually, I did not want to spend even $50. :p

So I turned to google for some help. I saw some people bought used homelink visors on eBay and either taking the system and adding it to their car visor or somewhere else within the car...

Then I saw how some people just tapped into the remotes and used a switch to activate it. The idea was so simple it had me laughing that I couldn't come up with the same idea. So...

Supplies:
    - a momentary switch, rocker, push button, etc...I found them at Radio Shack
    - drill
    - nose pliers
    - dremel
    - wire
    - soldering iron
    - beer of your choice :)

So instead of step by step....here's the basics...

Determine where you will place your switch.
    [​IMG]

Gut out the inside. I used the dremel to grind out the inside and then used the nose pliers to twist and pull the plastic out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did most of this outside with minimal lighting. I didn't notice that drilled holes were off as well as the marks that I had put on the front. So be careful if you attempt this. I have one spare blank and will redo this.

Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the next few steps... :/

Take your remote and some wire or metal and find out where on the circuit board the connection is made to activate it. Usually you'll find it right behind the button or to the sides of it...

The brand remote I have is a craftsman. Right behind the button on the circuit board are four points in a square formation. The top two points activate the remote. Took some wire and soldered to both those points. To make sure it was done properly, take the other end of the wire and touch them together. This should activate the remote. Hopefully it works. Take the end of the wire and attach it to the switch...

For my gate opener the soldering points were to the left and right side of the button. Repeat above steps and test. Attach the wire to the other switch.

End results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I didn't have any Velcro so I had to temporarily place the remotes in the bottom console.

Final words:

- I'm trying to locate a plain looking on/off/on rocker instead of using two push buttons. I think this will make it look more oem and stand out less.

- Overall cost was less than $10. The switches were $4 at Radio Shack and came in a pack of four. The wire I had laying around the garage. You can use any wire...or if you don't have any head over to the dollar tree and buy some there.

- You could set it up so that the remote doesn't use batteries by tapping into a power source. Just make sure the voltage is correct or you'll have to do some work. I didn't feel like doing the extra work. I believe both my remotes were using those flat round 3V batteries.

- I plan on placing the remotes right behind the panel housing this switches. It's easily removable and makes it convenient to change out the battery when needed.

Pros:
    - rather easy to do
    - cheap when compared to purchasing a new/used homelink mirror.
    - my HOA refuses to let people use homelink or anything equivalent. Everyone has to buy new remotes from them...ain't that some sh#t...

Cons:
    - ummm...none really unless you don't have any way to gut out the blank switch.

IMO this mini project was a lot easier when compared to installing the fog lights and running the wires for HIDs. I spent around an hour on this.

I apologize for the terrible write up and lack of pictures...enjoy :)

iPhone ?

2. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nice idea. I did the same thing on my Honda Goldwing. It worked like a charm for 10 years. On the '10 Prius I took the Mirror with homelink from my Civic and installed it.
    Prior to that I have purchased the homelink unit from a visor and cut a hole in the headliner (be very careful when you do this - cut is smaller than you need and trim until it is the right size) and then wire it to the vanity light (something always hot). You can find homelink visors and such on ebay for $30-$50 dollars.