1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Integrating a Prius into an Off-Grid Home

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SageBrush, May 18, 2015.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have been musing for years now about having a mostly clean, off-grid home. Even though our daily home energy budget is pretty frugal at ~ 4 kWh a day, peaks occur and a week without sunshine is not so rare. These boundary cases have seemed to require one of two solutions:
    1. A garage of Pb batteries. Yuck
    2. A fossil fuel generator that is noisy, polluting, and wastes 90% of energy
    Now along comes the Tesla PowerWall (PW) with it's own DC/DC converter and I begin to wonder if a Prius and a PW are not an almost turn-key, relatively inexpensive, fairly clean and efficient solution for those longer than a day without sunshine periods.

Disclaimers:
    The technical specs of the the PW are still coming out in a dribble
    My understanding of the details of PV and inverters is unfortunate

So I imagine something like this:

Off-grid-page-001.jpg

The PW time shifts excess PV power to the nightime, for cloudy days, or perhaps a local duty EV.
    Extended cloudy days are handled by filling up the PW with the Prius hooked up for a couple hours at my convenience. The Prius outputs some 6 - 10 kW at ~ 205 volts by tapping off a high voltage line.

Opinions ?

#1 SageBrush, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That is possible, In my region there are many doing it.

There are after market accessories for the Prius that allow you to power your home with your Prius.

As does any battery-bank.

The PowerWall is available on a 10-year lease, It is rated for 50 cycles per year. So if you use it as your battery-bank, it could power your home over-night, for 50 nights per year.

I bet if you over-use a PowerWall 365days/year, you would expect to kill it in a year and a half. The company should charge you the full 10-year lease price for it at that point.

As for cloudy days, you would still need a power source, a Prius could fill that role.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are two PowerWall offers:
    1. One is a 7 kwh package rated for 5000 cycles
    2. The other is a 10 kWh package rated for IIRC 1000 cycles
    The cycle difference is due to different Li-x chemistries. I remain unclear if these two packages have different electronics. I think that the cycle lives are based on full DoD which implies that the 10 kWh package could probably handle a couple of kWh a day for night time duty with very little effect on longevity.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I keep thinking about the same problem especially after looking at last month's utility bill. My thoughts:
    • traction battery energy storage - very, very risky as you need some sort of battery manager because the Prius battery manager would be off. Minimum requirement: (1) voltage high and low, (2) temperature monitoring, and (3) cooling fan control.
    • waste heat capture, exhaust - two solutions: former gas heater fed by exhaust, or wrap exhaust with metal tubing. The gas heater requires: (1) temperature monitoring, (2) exhaust valve, and (3) freezing drain. The metal tubing wraps the exhaust system AFTER the catalytic converter and with high-temperature insulation and water shield. Water is injected at one end and live steam extracted from the other. An insulated, pipe carries the live steam into the home for hot water pre-heat and space heating. Water condensate has to be gathered and hopefully sent back to the car. Requires: (1) temperature monitoring and (2) freezing drain.
    • waste heat capture, engine - tap the cabin heater loop to some sort of water heat exchanger. VERY COMPLEX because it must not cool the engine block leading to block warm-up and must also deal with temperature extremes.
    • electrical - we need to investigate the electrical compressor interface to see if it runs on house voltages, currents, and frequencies. This would be one of two efficient converters from Prius-to-house power. I suspect we are talking about 1-2 kW of power. Not a lot but enough to offload home electrical loads.
    • non-gasoline fuel - either natural gas or propane, gas valve that operates when the engine is running to 'enrich' the air stream. There will still be some gasoline burned but a fraction of fully running the engine. This approach minimizes the engine modifications. The other alternative is to 'import' a natural gas or propane fuel system and without bothering the 'powers that be', install, integrate, and use when home. Make your Prius dual-fuel. Alternatively, ethanol/methanol but now we're getting into some tricky stuff getting it non-taxed.
    Bob Wilson

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bob,

Thanks for chiming in!
    I may not be following your post as intended, but I think you are considering the Prius as an UPS to perhaps supplement PV.

My thought was to use the Prius as an intermittent generator to fill up the Tesla PW as needed.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It'll be very expensive if you go through a battery. As cost to the installer, it adds 12 cents per kWh already.

My solar system is a grid-tied and inter-connectivity agreement is for 15 years. So, I'll look for a solution in 15 years. :)

For now, I have 600 Watts inverter to clamp onto 12V battery for emergency. That should cover the gas boiler and fridge.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi USBseawolf,

That price per kWh is based on full DoD cycle life, and it ignores the fact that most energy consumption is straight from the panels. I think a cost analysis that simply counts up the components needed for say a decade is a more straightforward approach. Without much doubt though, if you are already on the grid then cutting the cord does not make any sense except as a political gesture.

My interest in off-grid is to be really off-grid, meaning no NG or electric grid infrastructure to my home. This gives me a lot of choice where to build and land is much cheaper. Some (or perhaps all?) of the money saved by buying off-grid is spent in upgrading the home to PassivHaus spec and installing independent energy systems.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It will be my dream house.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For an off grid home, using a Prius as a supplemental power generator would be too much hassle. Hooking it up one or two times a year to keep the frig running isn't big deal. If you need to do so once a month because of cloudy days, it starts becoming a chore, and it is probably time to rethink the battery bank size and off grid power options.

Lead acids aren't the most environmentally friendly battery, but are probably still the most economical for a back up battery bank. Not as simple to install as the Power Wall, but it will give more flexibility in design the bank to your needs.

Wind is also an option to supplement or use instead of PV.
    Wind Power Your Home | Wind Energy Foundation
    While I bet going with the basic electric pump for the well is the most economical, just having it as an option is worth mentioning.
    Aermotor Windmill Company - Wind-Powered Water Pumps

It might be seen as sullying the 'greeness' and self-efficiency of the off grid home, but what about using propane. It is clean burning. It could reduce the electric load for heating and hot water; definitely if geothermal isn't an option. It will reduce the load for cooking and the clothes dryer. it could even run the refrigerator. If available for those uses, it could be used for a generator, without the chore of hooking a car up to the house, and having it unavailable as it charges the battery bank. It also allows a smaller bank.

noonm likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Propane is cleaner than car fuel, all else being equal, but the Prius as a generator has a couple of advantages:
    1. Pollution control
    2. Noise reduction
    3. I already own one!
    4. Perhaps more efficient ?
    And lastly -- although this is way above my competence level to be sure -- I am hoping that the Prius as a PW charger has over-charging protection effectively built in, or could be added.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For pollution control, a propane engine just produces less than a gasoline one to begin with. People across the street have a generator, and I can understand the noise concern.

I would think the PW would have overcharge protection built in. It reaches full and just stops pulling a charge. The Prius or generator would then idle down, unless wired to allow them to directly power the house.

My point is that if your power system whether solar, wind, or a combination with battery bank isn't enough to meet your needs without leaving you without power one or two times a year at most, then your system hasn't been properly designed to meet your needs. You either need a larger battery bank or more, or varied, generation capacity. I think if you decide to use propane for other uses, like cooking, then installing a back up generator could be a better option vs adding more batteries, PV panels, or a larger windmill. Depends on its price, and installation cost. I would want a noisy one in a separate shed.

If you are looking for a solution for the chance you might be without power one or two days a year, I think a decent pure sine inverter installed in the Prius to power the frig and well pump*. I don't know if charging up the battery bank itself is such a good idea. At least, charging it up to just discharge it right away again. Get it up to where the batteries are happy, and then disconnect it. Its there for when the sun aint shining, or wind blowing. Why put it through another full cycle during an occasional emergency 'power outage' and take some time off its life when you have an emergency back up for the essentials.

I remember a post by someone off grid recommending leaving occasional use, high draw items like power tools out of the calculations for the PV and battery size, and just using a portable generator for them. It saves money on overbuilding the system for such items. Prius and inverter could also be used for such.

*Be sure to have a plug installed to power the pump from such a source. Co-worker was without power for days after Sandy, and didn't have a way to get their portable generator to power their pump.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am interested in the propane solution too but live in a city where local ordinance may forbid any except the small tanks used for gas grills.

I'm looking at the Prius plug-in to the house as a co-generation as well as keeping the car at operating temperature. With heat recovery, the system becomes competitive with utility power and the house and hot water stay warm. Then when I need to take a trip, unplug from the house and start at +52 MPG instead of paying the warm-up price.

Of course you my realize that if I could fuel the car with natural gas when plugged-in and recover most of the heat for the house. The electricity generated could 'charge a Leaf' and be cheaper than the grid. The reason being grid electricity throws away over half of the heat.

So I pay for the gas to heat the house but first 'burn it' in the car. The previously lost heat from the car, some fraction of it, heats the house. The electricity generated by our 38% efficient, Prius is powered in the parking place by the untaxed, natural gas I've already paid for. Gas company is happy; my utility bill is happy, and; the electric company is wondering 'How'd they do it?'

Bob Wilson

#12 bwilson4web, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That sounds complicated for the gains when home cogen units are on the market.
    http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/a-winters-tale-my-first-season-with-micro-combined-heat-and-power/?_r=0
    Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | Cogeneration I don't think it's available in the US, but Honda has one that is an actual Atkinson engine.
    There are also home fuel cell cogen units out there, but the likely fall in the too expensive range.
    The warm up penalty is reduced for the gen3, and should be more so for the plugin, because it can lean on the battery for more during the warm up cycle.
    Hooking up and disconnecting an exhaust heat recovery system everytime you need to take the car out will make the 'plugging in takes too much time and work' crowd faint.
    If cargo space loss isn't a concern, converting a PPI to CNG or even bi-fuel isn't a technical challenge. I think home refueling it while providing power, some of which will go to the refuel compressor, will be the challenge. With a 8GGE CNG tank, the Civic GX took overnight to fill up with home refilling. If not actually refueling at home, but just running the engine, will the residential supply be high enough pressure for the engine? I'm guessing probably.
    Then what do you do when the mobile cogen unit is out an about?

That said, I can appreciate doing a project for entertainment reasons.:)

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wish Toyota offers a home off-grid package with PiP2.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Isn't it available in Japan now?

They probably won't to reduce comparisons to the Mirai.:cool:

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, PiP has the plug out cable in Japan. Not sure of the power rating.

Mirai's plugout can supply 9kW. Much more than Tesla Powerwall 2kW.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    #17 Trollbait, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  18. Tyler Dean

Tyler Dean New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This actually makes perfect sense and is not that complicated. All you need to do is run PEX tubing in your house and run the engine coolant into a hot water tank.

For extra credit, I would opt to use a liquid cooled diesel generator fueled with biodiesel. Then, I need to control the discharge of the battery and engine coolant temperature with information from the thermostat at my house. The hardest part will be writing the software, but I think I am capable of the virtualization/networking for IoT tunneling to protect the thermostat and Prius from hacking.

It would also be cool if there were a self flying kite that could turn the flywheel of the generator.

You mention "an exhaust heat recovery system."

If I had a liquid cooled biodiesel generator, I would use the engine exhaust from that generator to heat the engine block of the Prius. I could pipe the exhaust in through the exhaust gas recirculation circuitry. This would force the exhaust gas from that diesel generator through the catalytic converter improving emissions of the generator. I don't expect more than a few hundred watts from a 15kw generator from the exhaust, but I would also be able to heat the engine coolant of the car with the generator, and I expect to find at least an extra 15kw of energy from the generator's engine coolant. 100% improvement on the efficiency of the generator is a conservative estimate.

So, 38% thermally efficient E85Prius*(x) + 50% thermally efficient BioDiesel Generator*(z) = system efficiency

#18 Tyler Dean, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
  19. Tyler Dean

Tyler Dean New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Also, look at the cost of using the generator. If the fuel is $6/gal but the thermal efficiency is 12-25% better than the Prius, it is still not competitive. I would apply for a road tax refund, but I think there also needs to be a higher road tax on road fuel.

20. Tyler Dean

Tyler Dean New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring