1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intelligence Failures

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 12, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 13 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]319012[/snapback]</div>
    YOU ARE NOT POSSIBLY ARGUING THAT WE FOUND EVIDENCE OF IRAQ HAVING WMD'S BUT OUR INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES ARE HIDING IT FROM US - ARE YOU??

2. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

We did NOT find any wmd in Iraq does NOT mean they don't have any.

We knew Iraq used to have a biochemical program. They used it against the Kurds.
    what happen to those? We just hope they did not give it to the terroists. we might not find any now but wait until they use it against us.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ditto @ Sep 14 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]319555[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you - and was pointing to the falacy of his argument. Reports have confirmed that Saddam could have reconstituted his WMD programs within several years. We know he USED WMD's! Where did they go. To believe he destroyed them all is as silly as believing we can create a "fortress America" or we can rely solely on intelligence services to protect us. The thought that there was not sharing of infor amongst the bad guys like the khan network is believing in the tooth fairy - we KNOW NoKo and Iran share technology - that Iran and Hezbollah share technology - the France and Iran and Iraq shared technology - that China and Iran share technology - that Russia and Iran share technology - etc etc etc. Amazing how we let institutions like the UN who are in part governed by these countries to have a say in our security - and even more silly - how some Americans can't see through this complete farce - I guess these are the same Americans who could not believe the oil for food scandal could have happened at all -- i am believing this to be the LARGEST scandal in human history --- these same Americans are willing to put their faith in the same institution is totally INSANE unless of course the wish ill for the US of A or believe we should be diminished.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ditto @ Sep 14 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]319555[/snapback]</div>
    The UN destroyed a large amount of Iraq's chemical weapons. Iraq claimed to have destroyed the rest itself, although it wasn't able to present enough documentary evidence to satisfy the USA. It's not clear that they had any development after the first Gulf War, and as I understand it, any remaining stockpiles are unlikely to be in usable condition after such a long time.

A lot of folks seem to forget that UN inspectors spent a lot of time in Iraq over those 12-odd years, and destroyed or secured a lot of materials. Co-operation was often grudging, but at the time of the invasion, the inspectors were basically happy that Iraq was co-operating, and complying with UN disarmament resolutions. They were forced to withdraw by the US invasion.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 14 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]319548[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not saying that we did nor am I saying that we didn't. I have no information on the subject and will not proffer a verdict. My interjection to this thread was merely to point out that sometimes disclosing the information obtained compromises the means used to obtain the information. How you wish to apply the espionage intelligence conundrum is up to you.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 14 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]319585[/snapback]</div>
    You want to have your cake and eat it too. Well which is it. We found WMD's in Iraq (we did if you consider Saran gas a WMD) or not - we can predictably rely on our intelligence agencies to let us know when we need to destroy iran's nuclear program before its too late??

Knowing that you do NOT want Iran to become a nuclear power - I am sure you can understand the dilema of never knowing when iran will actually cross that threshold and will allow President Bush some leyway when (hopefully) he destroys their nuclear facilities.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 14 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]319588[/snapback]</div>
    I don't want Canada to become a nuclear power, perhaps their friendly neighbor campaign is a ruse...better invade them too...and they have lots of oil as a bonus!

If we start legislating and acting out of fear and paranoia we'll truely be abandoned by the rest of the world as a fear mongering bullies.

While your arguement about 'pin pointing' has some validity it also makes sense to put your money down where our intelligence tells us the odds are greatest for imminent problems. Iran is not an imminent problem...a growing one, one that needs to be addressed aggressively, but not one that repeats the errors of Iraq by acting out of haste.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 14 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]319663[/snapback]</div>
    I would not trust the Canadians either with nukes - especially the french speaking ones.

I am not sure about your point in the second paragraph - sorry - busy day - and I have to recertify tonight for ACLS - a real PITA (my specialty :)

Your third paragraph sent me for both a little PPI and Tylenol. You admit our intelligence services cant tell poo for shinola about a countries nuclear program - especially if that is a "closed" country like Iran - yet you are willing to risk waiting and seeing instead of acting in terms of their nuke program. You say they are not an immediate problem - the Israeli's think Iran could go nuclear in under one year! When would you suggest addressing them aggressively? How much evidence do you need? Do you honestly think they are developing this technology for electric power generation? If the answer is no, why wait toooo long before acting to do what you think is the right thing anyway? And now, a second tablet of tylenol and a review of pulseless tachycardia.

And Iraq has nothing to do with Iran. And if you call almost 2 dozen UN resolutions and a decade + of being shot at "acting in haste" I would caution you that Iran will be a nuclear power before you would act.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Sep 14 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]319582[/snapback]</div>
    Do you truly believe Iraq was WMD free?

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 14 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]319663[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 14 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]319678[/snapback]</div>
    I thought efusco was kidding, but dbermanmd sounds serious. What is this, slam Canada week?

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 14 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]319682[/snapback]</div>
    That's what it says on all our calendars. My town's having a big rally and everything. :p

11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 14 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]319678[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty much, yes. Probably a few remnants of some chemical weapons, but no useful delivery systems, and nothing that really justifies the hyperbole of "weapons of mass destruction". I've never quite understood why all chemical and biological weapons get classed in that category, when in practice they don't seem be more effective than conventional weapons. They certainly had no nukes.

They had nothing that threatened the USA in any shape or form, or justified the death of 100,000 Iraqis.

12. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Sep 14 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]319724[/snapback]</div>
    Or 2000+ american troops.

13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite. No way could or would the Iraqis have killed 2000 Americans. It took Bush to do that.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 14 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]319682[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I was kidding, obvioiusly. i don't speak for Dr. Berman

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 14 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]319746[/snapback]</div>
    I love Canada :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Sep 13 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]319014[/snapback]</div>
    What are you proposing - we indict the terrorists to death?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Sep 14 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]319724[/snapback]</div>
    What delivery system are you expecting from them?? some three staged ICBM?? How about the simple guy in a turbin with a small backpack or suitcase? How is that delivery system for you - try stopping that one.

And you have got to be kidding about the effectiveness of bio or chem weapons right? Are you not aware that conventional weapons (lead, metal) are designed to wound and not necessarily kill? Would you rather have someone shoot at you are release a bio weapon. And you want us to believe you and your opinion about what or what does not threaten us?? Come on.

A little hint - what do you think lies in the Bekka Valley in Syria - at least possibly - or could have been hidden anywhere underground? So Saddam was a guy who regretted gassing 100,00+ Kurds and decided to join the society of do-gooders? What would you have thought of Hitler in 1936-8?? A good guy, creating a good economy for Germany - making jobs for Germans - making them feel better about themselves?????

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 14 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]319563[/snapback]</div>
    Didnt we give Iraq the materials necessary to produce their poison gas weapons in the 80s when they were fighting Iraq? Hrm...

But hey... thats not nearly as bad as Ronnie Reagan giving the Taliban all the stinger missles they asked for. Brilliant move that.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Sep 15 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]320175[/snapback]</div>
    Cute but not intelligent. The answer to the first point is show me evidence we did that - thanks. And by the way the answer is probably not. The technology to make saran etc is well known and fairly easy to do - but still looking forward to you providing evidence as to your assertion.

Second - giving stingers to forces fighting the Soviets was brilliant at the time - and we must sometimes live in the present. You think those stingers are still effective?

And - what point are you trying to make by going back in history decades - now that the dynamics are all changed?

I guess you should blame Adam if you want to be true to yourself - that damned apple - why did God put it there? That apple is the cause of all this evil :rolleyes:

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 15 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]320182[/snapback]</div>
    The stingers are still effective, yes. They don't go bad. They're not milk. They're very simple and rugged weapons.

And if we don't look back on the mistakes of the past, we'll keep making them, over and over. Like, oh I do not know... putting a potentially hostile government in power in the middle of the Middle East.. you'd think we'd never learned from Afganistan!

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Sep 15 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]320183[/snapback]</div>
    You are still being cute here. Making mistakes of the past:
    bj doing nothing as islamonazis continued to murder Americans -
    peanut brain carter letting the Shah be overthrown
    bj letting the nuclear genie out of the bottle 3 times

What lesson were we supposed to learn from Afghanistan? We could overthrow a government that supported terror in two months? That women could be elected to national office in a greater % than here? Was that the same lesson we should have learned from the 1930's about appeasement you were referring to???????????

If those stingers are so effective 30 years later - why have they not shot down more aircraft the same way they did against the Russians??? Where are they buying the batteries for that sucker? Whis is doing the maintenance on them and upgrading their seekers to overcome electronic defenses found on current airframes? If they were good - why haven't they used them?? And BTW - they are not a simple weapons system.

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 15 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]320192[/snapback]</div>
    And you're not admitting to the fact that we armed and financed the 'islamonazis'. And under Reagan, the Iraqis started *their* nuclear program.

As for Clinton letting the nuclear genie out of the bottle... both India's and Pakistan's nuclear program was started long before Clinton took office, and long before Bush II did his first line of coke. (hey, if you're going to use BJ, I'm going to call the president a coke snorting moron. I'm good like that).