1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intelligent Park Assist Back In Parking not central?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Apr 29, 2018.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So I've tried the IPA Back In Parking a few times, but no matter how big the space is, it always seems to park quite close to the vehicle on the driver's side, even if there is several times that amount of space on the passenger side.

I think I'm operating it correctly... Drive until side mirror is in middle of space you want, double press the IPA button, it drives forward and turns to about 45 degrees, then reverses into the space.

Any suggestions?

SM-T813 ?

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I press the IPA button before I get to the space, the front sensor then picks up the start and finish of the space, the same as when parallel parking.
    Do you wait until it tells you that it's finished before turning it off ?
    Mine tells me to select D and pulls forward and centralises itself in the space if it's too close to one side.

RCO and The Professor like this.
  3. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yeah I allow it to do the little forwards + backwards dance at the end, but that doesn't seem to centralise it any more, it seems to just straighten up.

To be fair, it works fine in tight spaces, and I wouldn't normally need to use it in spaces with plenty of room that I'm referring to (UK Parent and Child spaces). Just playing with the new toy :D

I'll try pressing the button before the space and see if that helps. Thanks!

RCO likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have no experience with the system, but looking at the manuals, I think the side mirror may not be the correct positioning reference. As this figure from the Repair Manual (available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu) shows, the vehicle should be centered perpendicular to the parking space:
    BackInParkingMode.png
    The side mirrors are somewhat forward of the center of the vehicle.

RCO, DonD and The Professor like this.
  5. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yeah that's the same kind of diagram that's in the owner's manual - looks like I misinterpreted the graphic slightly. I'll also try using my own head as the reference point for the middle of the space (seems to be about right). Thanks!

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  6. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So I tried the methods suggested above. Here are the results...

Pressing the park assist twice (for reverse parking) before the space immediately brings up a message indicating the space is not suitable. You have to position directly perpendicular to the space you want to reverse into.

I tried three positions... if you have your body level with nearest side of the space, you get the same message as above. If you have it in the middle it works. If you have it at the far edge of the space it also works. But it doesn't matter, it always does the same manoeuvre. It turns and drives forward until the Prius is at about 45 degrees to the space, then reverses back until the rear sensors beep (i.e. really close to the vehicle on the drivers side, then it turns the Prius until it's parallel to the parked cars and reverses in.

The end result is the same though, it leaves about enough gap on the drivers side to open the door most of the way without contacting the car next to you. It doesn't seem to care how much additional space is on the passenger side. It leaves a good 6 feet in UK parent and child spaces, for example.

How does it fair in big spaces for other people?

RCO likes this.
  7. Denwah

Denwah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi I've recently tested out my new Prime Advance same as you explained here. It ALWAYS lines up really closely against the car in the driver side no matter what. I was actually considering taking it in to have the sensors checked out, but glad I'm not alone in this. Once it pulled within a few inches aside of another car when IPA reverse was being used so I had to take over and stop it.

Any suggestions on tweaks, fixes or first hand "how-to" would be very much appreciated from the group. Thank you!