1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intelligent Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chimohio, Oct 9, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 10 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]330740[/snapback]</div>
    That's why I have a problem with it, I guess. If I want the mirrored view that the rear view mirror shows...I'll use the rear view mirror. It's right there, it's easy to see, it's easy to use.

Just because my head is facing forward doesn't mean I don't have the ability to back the car up using the monitor as a way to see out the back of the car. I'm a pretty good driver, and not easily confused by something like that.

Basically, it comes down to this: You like it because it takes the place of the rear view mirror. That's fine. But I'd like the ability to reverse the mirrored image so that it accurately shows what's behind the car, from the perspective of the camera, as if I was looking backwards.

Vince

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Definately understand that, but i also dont' feel that it takes the place of the rearview mirror, just suppliments it. It's a common complaint that the view out the back is horrible. At times when backing up, all you can see from turning around or using the mirror is the windshield of the car behind you, not the hood or the bumper you're about to crunch, which is where the camera comes in.

A would agree, however, that there should be a switch somewhere that would change the view from mirrored to normal for the users who, like you, would prefer to have it the other way around.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 10 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]330799[/snapback]</div>
    Vince,
    I understand your problem. The reason the reverse camera is there is to help when you are backing up to see things like short children, bicycles laying on there side behind you, short parking polls that prevent you from driving into sidewalks and other poles. All of these think you can’t see if you turn your head and look back. Just imagine a small child crawling under the back of your car to fetch a ball with just there legs sticking out, just after you did a walk around and checked. Turning your head things would look clear and you would drive right over them. However, using the camera for an additional check would be safer and that is what it is for. The owner’s manual says you need to be sure and keep checking your mirrors while backing up because a car could be coming by to pass behind you at 90 degrees.

I’m just curious, what do you do when you rent a u-haul, drive a pick up truck with a large load in the back, drive an 18 wheeler, tow a boat, or even a large RV behind you. Don’t you ever have to back up without being able to see out the back window?

Anyway, the reason the image is like the image in a mirror is because if you turn your head to look out the back is the curb on the same side as the right of your car or the left of your car? Remember, the car did not turn around, so it’s right and left sides won’t change. Turn around and face front again, now is the curb on the same side of your car? Answer=â€Yes, it is.†The mirror image keeps what is one the left side of the car on the left and what is on the right side of the car on the right. After all, only you turned around and not the whole car.

I guess you could go to an empty parking lot and practice backing up into spaces without turning around until you get the hang of it. If not, there is a device made that would flip the image for you but that would cost a couple of hundred dollars and you would have to be able to shut it off if anyone else drove your car, but it can be done.

I hope this helps.

4. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 11 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]331105[/snapback]</div>
    Of course I've had to back up without seeing out the back window. I just recently sold my Toyota Tacoma truck with a shell on it, so I've had plenty of practice in backing up without being able to see out the back window. I never said I don't use the side mirrors to back up, I just don't use the rear view mirror to back up (or at least very rarely. It's not nearly as safe as just turning my head and looking back manually)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 11 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]331105[/snapback]</div>
    This is the kind of argument that my wife and the salesman made, and I disagree. The camera is looking out the back of the car, not the front. Therefore, the curb is going to be to the camera's left field of vision (assuming the curb is on the car's actual right hand side when facing forward, as it normally would be in the U.S.). It's as if you were turning your head and looking out the back window yourself. The curb isn't going to be on the right hand side of your field of vision, it's going to be on the left. You may know that the curb is actually to the right of the car (as the car faces or travels forward), but when looking or driving backwards it's going to be on your left. Further, when you back up (into a parallel parking space, for example) you are, in fact, driving the car backwards. Therefore, you need to be able to see what you would see if your seat/steering wheel/gas pedal were all suddenly facing toward the back of the car. That's what I would like to be able to see.

I find it fascinating that so many people apparently believe that since the monitor shows the curb on the right hand side that everything is okay. The curb is, in fact, to the camera's left. If the camera were on the front of the car facing forward, I would agree with the monitor showing the curb on the right hand side. After all, that's where would be in such a case. But if the camera is facing backwards then I would want the monitor to show what the camera is actually seeing...not the reverse image of that.

Doesn't anyone else agree with me? Or am I the lone voice in the wilderness? :huh:

BTW, I want to make it clear that I understand that the reverse monitor is supposed to be a kind of "rear view mirror" so that's not really the issue here. It is also becoming clear that many people just accept that the camera view is fine and they (apparently) use it with no problems. I just don't happen to have any reason to use it as such, so I'd like to have the option of being able to use the reverse monitor as a camera to see what's actually outside the back of the car...as if I were sitting on the rear bumper looking back there myself.

Vince

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Sharp LC-15E1UW 15" AQUOS LCD Flat-Panel TV (White)

15-inch ASV (Advanced Super View) LCD panel with 170-degree viewing angles; TV is 14.9 x 13.8 x 6.15 inches (W x H x D)
    Built-in 181-channel tuner accommodates cable TV signals, aux inputs handle DVD players, VCRs, or game consoles
    High brightness (430 cd/m2) so the set can be placed near windows, doors, or other light sources and its picture will remain vivid
    Image Inverter for custom installations flips image upside-down or mirrors it
    60,000-hour lamp life for years of viewing; 500:1 contrast ratio provides incredible images in dark and bright scenes

Here is a screen that can flip the image.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(InfideNino @ Oct 10 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]330546[/snapback]</div>
    Call me old-school, but I was pleased to discover that my car is equipped with a surprisingly simple alternative to the camera: two highly reflective surfaces, one mounted to each side of the car!!

And, as an extra added bonus, they even attached one of these devices to the windshield, facing rearward. If I take a few moments and angle them all just so, I can see directly behind me!!

Toyota really does think of everything.

I predict that -- some day, far into the future -- these newfangled "mirrors" will make intelligent parking assist obsolete!!
    [wink]