1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intel's Wireless electricity!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by spitinuri, Aug 21, 2008.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why thats simple ....

It uses no ionizing radiation, but uses a powerful magnetic field to align the nuclear magnetization of (usually) hydrogen atoms in water in the body. Radio frequency fields are used to systematically alter the alignment of this magnetization, causing the hydrogen nuclei to produce a rotating magnetic field detectable by the scanner. This signal can be manipulated by additional magnetic fields to build up enough information to reconstruct an image of the body.

And for my next trick, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!!!

73 de Pat K6PD

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    MRI does use strong electric field to excite the molecules in a strong magnetic field so that the magnetic poles will line up.

Usually the hydrogen molecule will resonate at about 25MHz in a 1T field.
    A RF transmitter is used to send 25MHz pulses to the body at up to 1000W peak power. The molecule absorbs this RF energy and align themselves against the magnetic field. The molecules will start to relax after the pulse train goes away and start to go back into random motion again. The energy absorbed will be release be as 25Mhz radiation. The antenna will pick this up and use some special algorithm to construct the inside picture of your body.

This is just a simple explanation of how the molecules are detected, ther are a lot electrical and mechanical systems required to do the scanning for reconctructing the picture.

This high power RF ionization radiation may just as harmful as x-ray.

HowStuffWorks "MRI Scan"

3. Norm611

Norm611 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One of the links (Newsweek) at eCoupled talks about the efficiency of the wireless transfer: " Efficiency is 98 percent, Fulton claims, if the device is a few centimeters away, but drops off sharply at greater distances. "

The article goes on to talk about 'Long Distance' power transmission: "Using high-frequency radio waves, Prof. Marin Soljacic at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology can transmit wireless power for several meters sufficient to run toasters, microwave ovens, PCs and vacuum cleaners. Soljacic envisions replacing the electrical outlets in the typical home with coils embedded in the walls, which would beam power to each room. "

What would the EM Field strength have to be to power a toaster or microwave? Could it erase the hard disk on the PC? You wouldn't need to heat the room, you could feel a nice warm glow if you walked into the room. :confused: Wearing a (metal) necklace or bracelet could be dangerous as either could act as a receiving antenna, absorbing quite a bit of energy.

Norm

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Long-distance power transmission this way is not practical because the fields obey the inverse-square law, and become weaker with distance. The poster above who noted that no power is lost unless some device collects it, is correct. However, anybody within useful range could pick up the power, since it is omnidirectional,

Therefore it's useful only in applications where you want to give free power to anyone in range. E.g. in an airport where the airport authority chooses to give everyone in the building a free laptop recharge, or in an internet cafe where the owner wants to provide the same service.

Cars could be powered wirelessly from cables buried in the street, but again, that power would be available to anyone with a pickup within range. It will be hard to find investors to build a free energy transmitter. Because there's no way for the transmitter to discriminate among the various receivers. Analogy to broadcasting: Anyone can receive a broadcast. If you want to charge for the broadcast, you have to put it on wires (i.e. cable) or scramble it. But you cannot "scramble" a power transmission the way you can scramble data.

The advantage of wires is that they take the power to a specific place.

BTW, a radio broadcast contains power. Your radio is receiving power from the tansmitter. But it's a tiny amount of power, and not very useful. The useful part is the information contained, which must be amplified to be useful, although a strong broadcast contains enough power for an old-fashtioned crystal radio set to produce an audible signal through headphones.

Public resistance (whether justified or not) will be strong at first, and gradually more accepting, as with anything. But they'll have to figure out how to prevent it from erasing people's hard disks, credit cards, etc., or interfering with pacemakers. But the biggest problem will be finding investors willing to give away free power.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the very high field magnets, you can see flashes when you turn your head. It's a bit disconcerting to realize that you are inducing electrical currents in your head.

During my later years of captivity in industry, I was the head of development for a large MRI company. The previous posts do a good job explaining the basics. If anyone wants to talk details, I'm open to questions. I wonder how long of a post it would take to explain phase encoding?

Tom

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This just in from the "New Lyrics Dept"...

Chorus line on that song now changed to ...

"I Can't Ski Babe"!!

73 de Pat KK6PD