1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interchange rack and pinion?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jonw34, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2010 Prius and need a rack and pinion. Can I install a 17 inch rack and pinion into a 15 inch rim car?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The size of the wheels on the car have nothing to do with the rack and pinion steering other than the wheels are bolted onto the hubs and the hubs connect to the tie rods coming from the steering rack which is neither here nor there. You could have 28-in rims on the car wouldn't be driving anywhere and probably wouldn't be turning the wheel at all and it would look awfully goofy but the rack would stay the same.

3. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I understand but I found a rack and pinion that was from a 17 inch rim versus a 15 inch rim car. It has a different gear ratio from my understanding. So will this work or cause issues with the car.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If these are the from-the-factory wheel sizes, there are differences: turning radius is greater, and stop-to-stop of steering is less, on the model that comes with 17ā€ wheels.

our 2010 Touring came with these wheels and specs, and can be a bit of a boat, in cramped parking lots.

besides these differences, there might be fit issues; Iā€™d stick with a 15ā€ transplant.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the factory, the 15 inch and 17 inch trims come with different steering racks, different brake actuators (because of different stability-control firmware), different power steering ECUs and motors, and different body sheet metal for the rear wheel wells, and those are just the differences I know of.

That doesn't mean there aren't people playing aftermarket mix-n-match.

6. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the comments, yeah my concern was that using the 17 inch rim rack and pinion may cause other components to wear prematurely. I'm trying to find the correct one but I'm on an island and limited options with paying an arm and a leg.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You on Kona??

8. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No ohaua

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would imagine it would be a smart thing to put back on the car what you took off or parts that are made to interchange with the parts you took off I mean that would be a about it or if you take the whole rack assembly out of the 17-in wheeled car and set it down on the ground right next to your 15-in wheeled rack and see where he stand I can't imagine that they're going to be any serious angular differences worth that much discussion but I could be wrong I would love to see that I don't have time to go look up the individual parts just to see and I know the individual part will be different oh they make sure that these days. But then when you get the parts out and really take a look at them you see much of nothing and you put that mess in your car and it works fine The 2-in difference in the wheel size doesn't seem like that would change much geometry of the tie rods or any of that and if it did it would seem to be on the outer which are easily changed

10. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

11. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was able to locate a rack and pinion out of a 15 inch rim car. The 17 inch rack and pinion are identical on the outside and would bolt up but they have a tighter turn ratio. I think it would have been ok but glad I found a perfect match.

12. KamiKKazi

KamiKKazi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 17in wheel rack and pinion from a ct200h in my 2010 prius IV. It works. I would not say my car handles like a boat it steers more with less input. My traction control seems to go off more often but not sure if that is the rack or because of my driving style. Only in corners going fast or on U turns. One thing I will say is this is one of the few parts you should buy from the dealer. The others being the brake booster and the cv axles. Maybe wheel bearings too but I have had good luck with mevotech. The rest you can try to find a more budget option.

Edit: The 17 in rack has 2.8 steering wheel turns lock to lock and the 15in has 3.6 turns lock to lock.

#12 KamiKKazi, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. Jonw34

Jonw34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius