1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interested in 2013, but is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AliceInChains, Apr 13, 2023.

1. AliceInChains

AliceInChains New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all, I have been eyeing a 2013 with 146k miles, listed for $10000 (haven’t tried negotiating yet) by a private seller. 4 previous owners, clean title/no accidents.

Oil changes were done at all recommended intervals and other general maintenance was kept on top of.

According to the seller, a lot of work has been done to it within the last year such as:

New brake pads/rotors

New timing chain

New thermostat

4 new tires with alignment

New exhaust & engine manifold gaskets

I was thrilled when I found this car... Fast forward a few days of browsing this forum and Reddit, now I’m a bit skeptical. All these potential gen 3 issues such as EGR & head gaskets problems are really throwing me off. Does the new exhaust & engine manifold gaskets solve the head gasket or EGR issues? Is the internet just saturated with complaints rather than praises? Am I really making a mistake purchasing this car if I’m trying to get another 100k miles out of it? I can’t have this car croak out on me with expensive terminal repairs.

Honestly just looking for more opinions. Any red flags based on maintenance history? I’m new to the Prius world and by no means a car enthusiast. Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Be very skeptical I don't even look to see where you are I should have four owners on a Prius that age with that mileage is an immediate red flag I don't know what I would even say about that but I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole $10,000 oh my goodness what year is this 2023 right We bought our 2013 3 years ago for $5,500 something like that with me you know 40,000 more miles on it but the soft text interior persona car Nice unit that the pretty black cherry color with black interior 5500 10,000 I wouldn't even entertain looking at that vehicle online just for the pictures That's absolute insanity but that's kind of what's happening in the last 3 years kind of I would still be looking further along If I'm going to spend $10,000 My God he can almost get a Gen 4 for that that somebody hasn't done near any of that kind of work to the timing chain is a giveaway people were throwing money at this car timing chains on this model should not even be looked at before 200,000 miles this car has 140 something right like I say it sets off red flags for me just reading about it looking at it would be out of the question but this is what people are doing right now even in my area especially the you know these newfangle types they think everything they've got somebody should pay them maximum dollar for because they were stupid enough to get a 12-year bank loan or something I don't know but that's the way folks are today You know I look at non-running industrial generators and stuff the people want $20,000 for and they need $19,000 worth of work and they don't cost but $38,000 new yeah no kidding

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen 3 has its issues, but many here have had good experiences.
    The problem is, you don’t know which one you’re buying

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    148K and the "new timing chain" sets off alarm bells for me. Timing chain replacement is halfway to head gasket replacement, definitely not trivial, and more-or-less unheard of in a vehicle with that low of miles. And, 148K is just about the time head gaskets let go. I'd tread very cautiously. It could have a head gasket sealing product in the coolant to mask head gasket failure symptoms.

No one likes to dis the car they own, so when you hear third gen owners' cautioning you...

Addendum: this is weird as heck too:

New exhaust & engine manifold gaskets

5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Skip Gen 3. Buy A Gen 4.....or if you only have 10K buy a corolla wit the updated pistons and rings

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As far as I know the Corolla hasn't had any of these funny issues with the two z engine I have a engine sitting here 2Z from a Corolla I don't know what year 2012-2013 something and that's $94,000 mi on it We couldn't kill this engine We beat the ever r loving mess ouf it . Engine is still strong Not using a drop of oil was used as a yard car for a few months on a 16 plus acre salvage yard only drove that thing around like the general Lee airborne and all of it