1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

interested party

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jackeemad13, Mar 25, 2007.

1. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacks @ Mar 25 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]412071[/snapback]</div>
    I live in New Hampshire and have found my lil Prius is a real trooper in winter weather. I feel safer in this car than I did my Jeep Liberty, which I traded in for. I did, however, swap out the original OEM tires for Nokian WR's ( a tire made in Finland) . I can literally drive uphill backwards in snow with them.

If it means anything to you, I am very happy with my Prius all around. As a matter of fact, I would by another one, and am trying to talk my partner into trading his Honda Civic for a Prius when the time comes. What gives me great confidence in the Prius is that it is backed and built by Toyota, I have no worries at all.

2. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LazyBear @ Mar 31 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]415694[/snapback]</div>

Is it really that bad in the rain? We have similiar weather here in Vancouver, and I'm coming from a Subaru Impreza. I really noticed the difference from my old Mazda Mx3, that used to hydroplane on the highway. If I wait for Subaru to come out with a hybrid, I might be waiting forever. I've heard that Subaru is teaming up with Toyota, I haven't heard any news though. Plus an AWD hybrid wouldn't be as efficient, unless you could turn off the awd.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyrus69 @ May 20 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]446279[/snapback]</div>
    It's ok. I managed 80km/h on the UBC highway in the torrential downpours we had this past winter and my tyres have (back then) 38,000kms on them.

However, if you have the chance to do a tyre trade, I would strongly suggest that route. Just pay the difference for the upgrade.

However, don't expect to climb any mountain. I tried climbing Mt. Seymour in Feb. I made it but only because it was snow-covered just at the very top before the car park. It took a lot of rocking to get myself out of it (it snowed the entire day).

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacks @ Mar 25 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]412071[/snapback]</div>
    My first two years (minus a couple of months) with the Prius I lived in Fargo, North Dakota. Bitterly-cold winters, lots of ice on the roads, not an awful lot of snow.

In deep snow the Prius is limited by its low ground clearance. But for handling on ice, I don't believe there's a better car on the road. The VSC (vehicle stability control - an option not included in all packages) is a marvel at helping you to maintain control, and the Traction Control (standard on all Prius) helps you get going from a standing stop on ice.

However the OEM tires are not good. Plan on getting good all-season tires, or even snow tires for winter.

I think it's a great car.

Whatever you do, for safety, get one of the packages that includes the side air bags and the VSC. Personally, I don't think the NAV is worth it, since you can get an excellent aftermarket GPS a lot cheaper.