1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting 12V battery story

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seilerts, Jun 15, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a friend stop by today with his flaked-out 2007. He had it jumped before he brought it over due to a dead 12V battery. With the car off, it read 6V! As soon as I connected the jump-pack, the car started immediately i.e. no one pressed the power button, the key (non sks) was not inserted, the MFD showed the Abnormal Transmission Lock Mechanism message, and most of the yellow brake/abs/vsc warning lights were on. Cycling off/on with the jump pack still attached made it Ready with no lights. I disconnected the jump pack and drove the car inside to be out of the sun.

After disconnecting and replacing the old battery with a new one, the car fired right up into the same weird state with the error message and warning lights as soon as I connected the negative terminal. That's the part that to me is the strangest. Anybody know why shutting the car off with a dead battery would cause it to wake up in a semi-operational state? I would have thought that a complete battery disconnect whether dead or alive would cure all ills.

Anyway, one more off/on cycle and the car was fine.

2 people like this.
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Restart the car 5 times, I think that will fix it.
    I have no idea why this happens, it has happened to me to.
    You might need to hold the power button in for a while to switch off.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Weird stuff happening with that Prius!!! Things like that can be very dangerous! You would think it could be programmed so you would have to enter a code IE like the radio, before starting the car after battery disconnect? Hal

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The ECUs, like all digital electronic devices, require carefully choreographed starting sequences. Low voltage creates uncertain race conditions, where the ECUs can power up improperly. Some of the state information persists through several power-up sequences, which is why you may need to power up a few times to get everything back to normal.

Tom

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Brake capacitors affecting the system?
    Be aware, on and off have a different meaning in a Prius and most modern electronics. It's merely a state of operation, not a state of the power supply.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing that story. This is a good example why it is better to replace the 12V battery at the first sign that it is weak, rather than hobble along with the use of a jumpstart device.

An excellent point. The skid control and SRS ECUs can maintain some information (at minimum, stored DTC) even when 12V voltage is disconnected.

That may be a contributing factor with regards to maintaining the state of the skid control ECU.

1 person likes this.
  7. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hobbit documented this happening to him when he disconnected his 12 volt battery while the car was on 'Ready' and then shutting down. When he reconnected the 12 volt battery, he got the same strange wake up.

Shutting down and then restarting corrected everything. See: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/
    It's all interesting, but what you're looking for is way down near the bottom.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had that happen to me as well (sort of) after I replaced the 12v battery on my friend's 06. When you powered the car on, all of the warning lights came on but the car was not in ready mode. Yet, you did not hear any beeping. One reboot sequence corrected the problem.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's like rebooting a computer, except the feedback is better and there are three (?} ECUs:nono: