1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting... A Prius Liftback with HOV sticker.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by plchung, Aug 11, 2013.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plchung, hadn't thought of it, but you make a good point about "eyes on the road." Especially if the driver of that Prius is a member of PriusChat. He might see himself on here. :p

2. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you saw someone robbing a 7 11 and you were able to get the license plate number would you report it to the police????

Only you can decide the right thing to do.

lensovet likes this.
  3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its not this particular member (he has a Prius 2.. and the one in the picture is most likely a Prius 5 considering the 17" wheels).. but as you can see.. its not all that hard to get the stickers

4. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If it is a crime, definitely I will do it and call 911. For a thing like this, should I spend efforts to report to DMV and wait like 20-30 mins to reach to the right person and sometimes get hung up on the phone?

It's better for this prius driver to realize that he shouldn't put those stickers on. It is easy to get caught by anyone on the road. Next time it will be a CHP and a ticket.
    Maybe, like Tracsyde said, it's DMV's mistake by giving him those green stickers.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's one of SEVERAL DIYer's . . . . PC member pEEf built his own plug in (and has stickers) . . . out of his Gen II . . . so if you go drama on a Gen III - you'll REALLY go ape when you start seeing 'em on Gen II's:

Update and technical details on my PHEV project | PriusChat

move along . . . nothing to see here . . .

;)

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hill, I read through the posts on that link and didn't see any reference to HOV stickers for his conversion. From what I read on the CARB site, it is difficult and expensive to get approval for conversions. Could you reference the post number, please? Thank you.

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the larger photo it looks to me like it has a PiP badge on the right side of the hatch- the one with the stylized electric plug on the left end of the Hybrid Synergy emblem. One thought I had was a complete repaint in black- but that still leaves the question of the charger door. :confused:

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If she-who-must-be obeyed gives me time when I get home from work I'll find the post with pictures - if you don't beat me to it.
    btw .... What - you don't think it's difficult and expensive too engineer manufacture and install your own custom battery temperature management system -software, and traction pack? Which task do you think he sound to be more difficult ... that - or the CA DMV
    ;)

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would only use 911 for an actual emergency, etc. IMO it is silly to call 911 for something like this. The police, fire or EMTs do not need to respond immediately.

Mike

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You could call a non-emergency number for the CHP. They used to have one called "TELLCHP" which when spelled out on your phone connected you to someone who would take your comments or reports of non-emergency incidents. I don't know if it is still in effect. There was also a number for asking questions of a CHP officer. In this case, I think if they had an officer in the area on routine patrol when an HOV violation was reported, he would be given the info and would keep an eye out for the offender. I agree that it is not a 911 incident, and the dispatcher might even so advise a caller.

11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, this wasn't a comment about the expense of the project, but rather the certification process with the CARB, which if you are successful, allows you to go to the DMV for the stickers. CARB is the hammer, DMV is the nail.:LOL: Maybe pEEf could shed some light on the subject.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Oh - well you said difficult and expensive in your prior post. Okay I looked for the pEEf,s HOV sticker pictures and I am officially giving up (unless somebody buys me burgers for a week.:p ) but if you really really really need to see the pictures of his stickers -give him a PM and I'm sure he can direct you to them or ... or he'll just tell you himself .... Oh wait that won't work you might doubt him too ;)

13. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeez, I didn't mean to offend anyone.:( I was just trying to sort out what I had read in an article about CARB rules and the red tape one would have to go through to qualify a conversion. I thought if I could find his posts on the subject he might have explained how he went about the process. I wasn't doubting you or him or anyone else. From what I did see in that thread, it appeared that he had sold that car and bought a Leaf, so it is probably a moot point for him now anyway.

14. AshleyOaks

AshleyOaks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    I have seen this car too...I think on the US 101 in the San Fernando Valley, near Tarzana. I saw the car slightly ahead of me on the freeway in an adjacent lane. I first saw the green stickers, and thinking it was a Plug-In Prius and waved at the driver and passenger. They turned and looked at me, and then sped up. As I saw the tail of the car I noted that there was no chargeport. I then moved to the left and attempted to speed up to see if there was a chargeport on the left side. I did not want to weave through traffic like the other car was doing and be a danger, so I gave up.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    oh no, none taken. I too - never read about what gymnastics he had to go through to get his stickers. I'm not sure though that he ever sold his plugin because he was asking a boatload of money for it. What baffles me even more about Phil's Gen II was that his HOV stickers were not green ... they were white. You could PM him but between his projects like that - & his ScanGauge project and his portable evse Mod busines. .... I don't know where the guy finds the time.

16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, afaik there are way more DIY PHV conversions of Gen II than III, so I don't find the "going drama" comment here apropos.